I've just realised, consoles aren't longer made for YOU, the passionate gamer.

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. I've just realised, consoles aren't longer made for YOU, the passionate gamer.
11 months ago#1
*Disclaimer: This is all based on my opinion alone and i'm definitely not saying it is a fact.*

So i've come to the conclusion that video game consoles are no longer developed for Gamers anymore. The reasons behind this is if we go back to 2000, Sony dominated the gaming market with the Playstation 1, they were now entering the market with the Playstation 2, but they didn't actually market the console as a video game console first. They marketed it as a DVD player. It had DVD player capabilities straight out of the box and it was incredibly successful because it was the cheapest or one of the cheapest DVD players on the market, during it's early days alone. This was very successful, as we know and the Playstation 2 is the most successful console of all time, despite two other competitors having stronger hardware, the Playstation 2 also had all of the developers behind them. The Original Xbox marketed as a working DVD player, even though you needed to purchase a remote with a little plug-in add-on.

It got worse with the 7th generation of consoles. Sony in 2006 marketed the Playstation 3 as "all-in-one" entertainment device, it was the cheapest Blu-ray player on the market for it's time and it didn't sell anywhere near as well as the Xbox 360, but the Blu-ray player and Multimedia alone drove lots of sales. It had foreign architecture that made it a lot harder to program for, despite having superior specs on paper.

Nintendo completely alienated/ abandoned their fanbase with the Wii, they focused on gimmicks such as motion controls, cheapened out on hardware to make it affordable to even people on a tight budget and by doing so, they put ALL their focus on the casual/ non-gamer crowd. To put things in perspective, I know more people that own a Wii or have owned a Wii, than 360/ PS3, even my aunty owns a Wii. My aunty is by no means a gamer, but she owns one because of the extremely successful casual marketing that Nintendo took. She has less than a handful of games on it and now it just gathers dust.

Sony and Microsoft tried to mimic what Nintendo did with the Wii with the Kinect and PS Move. They sold really well, but now they're just known as forgotten, abandoned gimmicks for the Ps3/ 360 and now you can find them in bargain bins and online for cheap anywhere.

Recently or 2012 to be more be specific, we came into the 8th gen of consoles. A huge amount of problems arose. I've already typed a lot, so i'll just summarise what I think.

MS basically planned to come into the market with their console being more of an anti-console. Horrible policies such as DRM, Always Online, Digital Only, a HUGE emphasis on TV and stream services.

The gaming community came together and made it possible for MS not get away with this, but it came at the cost of potential exclusive games that could've been in developed for the system, the hardware is entry PC standard and the moves they're making are hurting their own customers wallets (example: abandoning the kinect).

Sony are making much better moves than MS with the Playstation 4, but in all honesty, they are exactly the same as the Microsoft. Their hardware is not powerful, it's only slightly more powerful, they've included a strong emphasis on TV, streaming services and gimmicks like PS Eye. They're selling more systems because they don't have any negative press behind them.

You can tell MS and Sony rushed these consoles out the door, both consoles have had bugs with the UI, are missing a tonne of features that the 360/ PS3 have.

Some of you may think i'm crazy, I have been defending the XB1 for months, fighting against trolls, but in all honesty, I wasn't really happy with my XB1 at all or the direction it was going in. I was just fooling myself and this is one of the many reasons why i'm selling it and going to PC for all my gaming needs.
---
The new TMNT movie looks like garbage.
11 months ago#2
This is just a small amount of stuff I wanted to say, but I was running out of space. Please share your thoughts.
---
11 months ago#3
It's amazing how people always have to act as if "they found the light" and speak like a priest.
---
KI: Fulgore/Orchid, USFIV: Bison/Evil Ryu/Makoto
11 months ago#4
Enjoy your PC.
---
"demoes are dumb anyway. just buy the game. solves that." - The Village Idiot
11 months ago#5
Juzten76 posted...
Enjoy your PC.

That's not really my point, i'm not here to brag about going to PC.
---
11 months ago#6
k bai
---
Intel Atom 1.20GHz - 512MB DDR2 SDRAM - Serial ATA 5400 RPM HDD - Intel GMA 3600
11 months ago#7
And you call me negative, Jedi. Lately it's like you've been replaced by a PC "master race" troll. Which kind of amuses me, actually... lol Keep it up!! =)
---
http://i.imgur.com/8LUhEFG.jpg
11 months ago#8
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/934077-endless-online/47647763
---
Intel Atom 1.20GHz - 512MB DDR2 SDRAM - Serial ATA 5400 RPM HDD - Intel GMA 3600
11 months ago#9
scoobydoobydont posted...
And you call me negative, Jedi. Lately it's like you've been replaced by a PC "master race" troll. Which kind of amuses me, actually... lol Keep it up!! =)

Lol, i'm just looking at stuff from a realistic perspective. My eyes have been opened up to see what is really going on with the future and present of gaming.
---
11 months ago#10
TOhasNoRing posted...
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/934077-endless-online/47647763

Lol, that was 5 years ago.
---
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. I've just realised, consoles aren't longer made for YOU, the passionate gamer.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived