after 9 months with the xone and 5 months with ps4... graphics

#1ascendedcobraPosted 8/9/2014 11:57:11 AM
I read all the time on gamefaqs and gamespot that players are not happy with the graphical performance of current gen systems. They say there is not much difference between last gen and this gen. Well I've had the xone since day one and picked up the ps4 in time for infamous. I've been playing current gen almost exclusively since November.
I just got finished TLOU for the Ps4 twice and was looking for some more survival horror. I went to gamestop and picked up a copy of Deadspace 3 put it in and was indeed horrified. Horrified not by the game itself but by the graphics. I remembered the Deadspace games as having brilliant graphics but now I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
So I proceeded to do a non technical graphics comparison between the 360 the xone and Ps4. For the 360 I used Deadspace 3, Skyrim , and Bioshock infinite. For the Xone I used Tomb raider and Dead rising. For the Ps4 I used TLOU and infamous. I didn't really feel like digging out too many games so I kept it to that. Each of these games I feel is a good representation of each systems graphically. For the record I am playing on 2013 Samsung 75" 6400 series tv.
Now when playing the 360 I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Deadspace 3, skyrim and Bioshock infinite all looked like I was playing on a ps2 or the original xbox. All those games have really muddy textures and clunky simple looking characters when compared to the Xone or Ps4. The texture detail in games like tomb raider or TLOU is astounding in comparison. The hair the fabric in the clothing and the animation are on another level. Also the backgrounds and the color and lighting are so much more detailed and realistic on the current gen.
As for differences between the Xone and Ps4 well there really aren't any to be seen. As a matter of fact probably the best looking game of the bunch is Tomb raider and that was on the Xone.
So to all those that say there isn't a big difference graphically between last gen and current gen I say your wrong. The difference is pretty big and quite obvious once you've become accustomed to current gen graphics.
I'd like some of you guys to do the same and give me your opinions. Especially those that haven't played any last gen for a while. Tell me if those last gen games still look good to you.
#2xacebopPosted 8/9/2014 11:59:32 AM
Tldr but yeah once you get accustomed to higher level graphics you start to notice how older gens suck.
#3ascendedcobra(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2014 12:09:39 PM
xacebop posted...
Tldr but yeah once you get accustomed to higher level graphics you start to notice how older gens suck.

It's pretty crazy. I now have no desire to play Deadspace 3 now after getting it yesterday. A big part of those games for me was exploring the ship for the amazing visuals. Now that's gone.
#4crucialPosted 8/9/2014 12:13:13 PM
I agree,have no desire to play 360 that much anymore expect MW2 and GTA 5 online,even arcade titles don't look good to me anymore,after playing Strider on 360 then X1 I was like ok 360 your day's are numbered,only games I play on 360 now is GwG titles,tried playing Fallout 3 a few weeks ago and it was really tough to look at,couldn't do it.
#5zerooo0Posted 8/9/2014 12:15:05 PM
xacebop posted...

I tried playing my 360 the other night and it was hard comparing it to BF4, Titanfall, and ACIV:( I just want Metro Redux to get here faster, so I can play my X1 some more.
---
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.--General Patton
#6Matt_256Posted 8/9/2014 12:16:12 PM
If you say there's not much difference from last gen I highly suggest going back and playing your 360 or PS3, it's probably not as good as you remembered. I still play mine, don't get me wrong, but to say there's not much of a difference is a little crazy. Have you played Battlefield 4 on the 360 and then play it on the One or PS4..? The difference is beyond monumental. Makes the 360 version look like an N64 game.

Even Titanfall on the One just flows and looks a lot better on Xbox One. Maybe not as big as the contrast between Battlefield 4 last gen to current gen but it's still easily noticeable. Most people just look at comparisons on youtube and say "Oh well! It's not THAT much different" but man, when you get it home and play it on your flat screen it's a completely different experience.

I've even played the beta of Destiny on 360, while it looks surprisingly "ok" for a 360 game the differences are pretty big in the visual department. 360 version sports massive AA issues, blurry flat textures, less visual depth and generally looks more washed out than the Xbox One version I played. Like playing through a dirty window and I think they did a great job with the 360 version considering what they had to work with.

Also, I agree with you on the Xbox One/PS4 differences. When playing you really don't notice the differences that much at all between the two. Maybe if I had them side by side I can pick them apart but it's really just minor and gamers are blowing it way out of proportion.
#7pnut3844Posted 8/9/2014 12:26:51 PM
Skyrim looks crappy? Dude you're crazy. That game is amazing and its last gen. Great graphics. When I first got my xbone I didn't want to go back to last gen but now I'm constantly playing my 360
---
A good game is a good game, regardless of system, res, framerate, and sales. Same goes for systems.
#8Kocano26Posted 8/9/2014 12:40:53 PM
As soon as I pickup a 360 controller I just shake my head. X1 controller is so amazing OMG!!! :D
---
Kocano Wins!
#9SearchmanV16Posted 8/9/2014 12:41:15 PM
Well, of course there is a graphical leap between generations. Even if games are using "720p" as their standards, the level of art will grow with newer generations. These consoles are more powerful, so developers have access to newer details while maintaining the same resolution. If I take the Galaxy S4 and S5, they both have the same resolution, but the S5's screen is much better despite the ppi difference from being a larger display. The color saturation is much better than the S4, so it's expected to be different in a good way.
---
Current Devices: Galaxy S5, Retina iPad Mini, and Xbox One.
#10ascendedcobra(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2014 12:49:19 PM
zerooo0 posted...
xacebop posted...

I tried playing my 360 the other night and it was hard comparing it to BF4, Titanfall, and ACIV:( I just want Metro Redux to get here faster, so I can play my X1 some more.
I can't wait for metro redux. Those games fell through the cracks for me and I'm looking forward to giving them a go this time around.