Why does everyone want a high frame rate when our eyes cant see it?

#31Megamushroom666Posted 8/10/2014 11:16:11 AM
Prince Shondronai posted...
Might want to recheck your research on that one. Lots of people can tell the difference between 30fps and 60.

---
'Deep into that darkness peering...'
Snackeroo.com
#32mokmuudPosted 8/10/2014 11:44:10 AM
Sith Jedi posted...
mokmuud posted...
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistence_of_vision
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7199031187

Frame rate of the human eye and why it's not at all like a camera is explained at about 1:40 into this video:

http://youtu.be/buSaywCF6E8

And just for the hell of it, this one is about the resolution of the human eye:

http://youtu.be/4I5Q3UXkGd0

Those were great videos.
---
PSN: Mokmuud XBL: Fumokmuud NNID: Mokmuud 3DS FC: 3222-6547-9539
#33Cloud069Posted 8/10/2014 12:05:45 PM
skermac posted...
I just did some research and found out movies run at 24 fps and they look great on Blu-ray on my HD tv. So why do games need to be much higher?

I did some more research.

We actually see 16 frames per second, our brain molds them into motion. But anything above 10 fps will appear as smooth motion. This is because it takes 1/16th of a second for a picture to fade off the back of our eye.

If you mean 'how many fps can the human eye differentiate between?', then we really start to struggle after three or four frames per second. Above that speed, we only see the transitions, which gives the illusion of movement.

So all this talk about needing 60fps in games is unfounded. We don't need it because our eyes don't know the difference. Does this make sense everyone?

inb4 pc elitists say they have to have 120fps

Movies have motion blur in each individual frame, video games do not. Thus 60 frames per second gives smoother animation.
---
PSN: Cloud073
#34facetioussagePosted 8/10/2014 12:16:19 PM
Every time I see one of these topics about how resolution or FPS doesn't matter, it always seems that what humans are capable of detecting becomes smaller.

I eagerly await the topic that claims that the human eye can only process 54p at 2fps or something....
---
I don't hate you. I wouldn't push you into the path of a moving train. I just don't like you; so I wouldn't pull you out of the way, either.
#35duericPosted 8/10/2014 12:22:27 PM
facetioussage posted...
Every time I see one of these topics about how resolution or FPS doesn't matter, it always seems that what humans are capable of detecting becomes smaller.

I eagerly await the topic that claims that the human eye can only process 54p at 2fps or something....

In fairness, when it comes to resolution it's a scientific fact that the average non owl can't tell the difference unless you're sitting extremely close to a huge TV.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#36facetioussagePosted 8/10/2014 12:57:27 PM
dueric posted...
facetioussage posted...

In fairness, when it comes to resolution it's a scientific fact that the average non owl can't tell the difference unless you're sitting extremely close to a huge TV.

"non-owl" Okay, you got an honest chuckle out of me.

I don't have particularly superior vision. My TV is a 42" and I sit probably about 6 feet from it. I can tell a difference between 720p and 1080p. Ultimately the thing with graphics (at least for me) boils down to the art direction of a game...and I can completely enjoy a game that is not graphically up-to-date so long as I think the gameplay is fun, so graphics aren't totally everything, but I can notice a difference in quality between the two displays.

But, yeah, I see these topics crop up now and again and they DO seem to be setting the bar lower and lower for us non-owls (I only steal GOOD lines, so please forgive me), and I find that rather funny.
---
I don't hate you. I wouldn't push you into the path of a moving train. I just don't like you; so I wouldn't pull you out of the way, either.
#37skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 8/10/2014 1:02:43 PM
facetioussage posted...
dueric posted...
facetioussage posted...

"non-owl" Okay, you got an honest chuckle out of me.

I don't have particularly superior vision. My TV is a 42" and I sit probably about 6 feet from it. I can tell a difference between 720p and 1080p. Ultimately the thing with graphics (at least for me) boils down to the art direction of a game...and I can completely enjoy a game that is not graphically up-to-date so long as I think the gameplay is fun, so graphics aren't totally everything, but I can notice a difference in quality between the two displays.

But, yeah, I see these topics crop up now and again and they DO seem to be setting the bar lower and lower for us non-owls (I only steal GOOD lines, so please forgive me), and I find that rather funny.

How can you enjoy a game that's less than 720p? :P
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#38quincy2000aPosted 8/10/2014 1:24:29 PM
"Why does everyone want a high frame rate when our eyes cant see it?"

Our?

You mean "my," correct? Because my eyes can.

And I sit, coincidentally, within the THX ranges.

If your HDTV is going in a living room with limited space, THX recommends the following:

35 inch class TV = 3.5-5 feet away
40 inch class TV = 4-6 feet away
50 inch class TV = 5-7.5 feet away
60 inch class TV = 6-9 feet way
---
Microsoft quote from May 2013 "We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics. We targeted it more as a broad entertainment player."
#39Chyld989Posted 8/10/2014 1:30:29 PM
quincy2000a posted...
"Why does everyone want a high frame rate when our eyes cant see it?"

Our?

You mean "my," correct? Because my eyes can.

And I sit, coincidentally, within the THX ranges.

If your HDTV is going in a living room with limited space, THX recommends the following:

35 inch class TV = 3.5-5 feet away
40 inch class TV = 4-6 feet away
50 inch class TV = 5-7.5 feet away
60 inch class TV = 6-9 feet way

THX also recommends you sit way closer than anyone else, including the makers of the TVs. Most say you should be sitting ((TV Size * 1.5) - (TV Size * 2.5)/12) feet from your TV, instead of THX's ((TV Size * 0.86)/12) feet away.

That, obviously, makes a big difference. If I sit the 3.5' away that THX says I should sit, yes, I can see a difference. If I sit the 8' away the manufacturer says I should sit, no, I can't see a difference.
#40duericPosted 8/10/2014 1:34:57 PM
Those THX recommendations are based on tv and movie content, not gaming.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member