Why does everyone want a high frame rate when our eyes cant see it?

#41Chyld989Posted 8/10/2014 2:37:18 PM
Oops, I forgot we were talking about frame rate, since normally everyone's just complaining about resolution. Even closer up I can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps, but I can between 720p and 1080p.

Apologies.
#42duericPosted 8/10/2014 2:39:45 PM
Chyld989 posted...
Oops, I forgot we were talking about frame rate, since normally everyone's just complaining about resolution. Even closer up I can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps, but I can between 720p and 1080p.

Apologies.

I don't think you're being honest.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#43facetioussagePosted 8/10/2014 2:54:18 PM
skermac posted...

How can you enjoy a game that's less than 720p? :P

Probably something wrong with my eyes. :-D

Anyway, for reference, here is a youtube video done at 16fps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdlVBkmbMk

Basically, 16 frames per second would be the minimum acceptable frame rate for something to be seen as "smooth enough" but a higher frames per second rate looks smoother. The human eye is completely capable of noticing the difference.

I'm suspecting that the research you did was not really scientific....that you had an idea of a conclusion you wanted and researched specifically for something to support that claim. Many people make this mistake, so don't feel too bad. I encourage you to expand your interest in the physiology of the eye, as it could lead to a career for you if it truly catches your fancy.

The idea of a "minimum only needed" FPS also doesn't take into account the variances of how our physiology works. We don't really see the real world in "frames". That is something used in movies, games, etc, to give a series of still images the illusion of motion. The human neurological system can transmit data far faster from your eye to your brain than 10-16 times per second. If someone was neurologically limited to that degree, I would recommend that they never drive a car or operate machinery of any kind.

The other thing to keep in mind is that there are other factors in play that include lighting and color. Many people can identify the color green in lower lighting conditions than they can the color blue. Since green "pops" easier for them, it is readily distinguishable and requires a different amount of FPS than a blue object to achieve an perfectly equal illusion of motion.

The speed of an object is also a factor. If I am showing a movie of clouds moving across the sky, I can get away with a lower FPS because the movement is slight and gradual and the nature of clouds are that they don't really have sharp and distinguishable edges, so it is easier to create that smooth motion.

Old cartoons and such were done at 24 frames per second, but in many cases, it was really just 12....with each frame being repeated twice. It's still smooth enough, but the reason they repeated frames was not because it was smoother, but rather to increase production and cut costs.

In summary, a cookie-cutter formula that determines that 16 FPS is the best we can see at is simply not correct.
---
I don't hate you. I wouldn't push you into the path of a moving train. I just don't like you; so I wouldn't pull you out of the way, either.
#44quincy2000aPosted 8/10/2014 3:04:43 PM
dueric posted...
Those THX recommendations are based on tv and movie content, not gaming.

No distinction for me. Personal preference.
---
Microsoft Xbox One quote from May 2013 "We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics. We targeted it more as a broad entertainment player."
#45duericPosted 8/10/2014 3:08:19 PM
quincy2000a posted...
dueric posted...

Are they only posting them for you?
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#46MetroidFan9999Posted 8/10/2014 3:12:49 PM
Smh this argument is so dumb. Movies can pull off 24fps because the frames contain motion activity as well...as opposed to a computer generated frame that is a static rendering with no motion data involved.
---
For a good laugh - http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com/
#47quincy2000aPosted 8/10/2014 3:14:02 PM
dueric posted...
quincy2000a posted...
dueric posted...

No, that's why I said personal preference.

But I have no reason to believe that the distances would be different, TV vs. video games.
---
Microsoft Xbox One quote from May 2013 "We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics. We targeted it more as a broad entertainment player."
#48duericPosted 8/10/2014 3:23:19 PM
quincy2000a posted...
dueric posted...
quincy2000a posted...
dueric posted...

But I have no reason to believe that the distances would be different, TV vs. video games.

What you believe is immaterial. The numbers on the THX website are for viewing movies and TV.

There is no standard for gaming because of how people's brains process the faster moving images differently. For some it can be dangerous to sit as close as THX recommends for movies, while gaming.
---
#49quincy2000aPosted 8/10/2014 3:31:00 PM
dueric posted...
quincy2000a posted...
dueric posted...
quincy2000a posted...
dueric posted...

What you believe is immaterial. The numbers on the THX website are for viewing movies and TV.

There is no standard for gaming because of how people's brains process the faster moving images differently. For some it can be dangerous to sit as close as THX recommends for movies, while gaming.

Again, that's why I stated my personal preference.

I sit where it's comfortable for me to view images.

But, I still have no reason to believe that the THX differences suggested would be different.
---
#50duericPosted 8/10/2014 4:05:18 PM
On the internet facts are only facts when people believe them.
---