The Gap Between PS4 And Xbox One

#41bdfan4everPosted 8/11/2014 10:14:11 PM
Jedi454 posted...
The gap between a gaming PC and PS4 is even greater, what is your point?

PC has nothing to do with this topic. What is YOUR point?
#42TheBonfiniPosted 8/11/2014 10:16:55 PM
Jedi454 posted...

The gap between game boy and 3ds is greater. The point is it's a more capable machine.
---
Friendly advice taken.
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#43MicrosoftLoverPosted 8/11/2014 10:22:35 PM
Jedi454 posted...

That's right, Jedi! You tell'em!

I'll go one step further, the gap between real life and PC is even greater!

AND I like the convenience of real life, too. No having to purchase any parts or anything. Just fun!

Im off of these god forsaken forums. I'm going to go jump on the third rail of my local public transportation system and ride the rails just like in...

SUNSET OVERDRIVE! Yeah, baaaaabyyyyy!
---
Not changing signature until Hideo Kojima retires or gets fired.
#44archibald3Posted 8/11/2014 10:36:11 PM
don_sf posted...
archibald3 posted...
don_sf posted...
Jedi454 posted...

Can someone remove this user from console boards please?

I made a peaceful topic discussing ps4 and xbox one, this person decides to talk about something else.

If you want my point, re read the first post in this topic. And if you still cant understand, turn of your pc and learn how to read.

If I said real life has way better graphics than pc, what now? Yeah its off topic, go away.

Give me a break. After 40 topics a day on how the ps4 is more powerful than the Xbox One , mostly posted by Sony fans , trolls and ps4 owners , what in gawds name do you expect. furthermore it`s an old article that was posted many times , like , 7 months ago.

It`s also long before Microsoft started making changes , freeing up the kinect allocation - then dropping the kinect entirely , so it`s pretty out-dated. It still says this [which you of course failed to quote:

" Despite the resolution difference and upscaling, though, there is visually very little difference between the Xbox One and PS4. By virtue of being based on the same GPU architecture, games on both consoles will look very, very similar ó the same lighting, the same textures (presuming the Xbox Oneís lower bandwidth isnít a bottleneck), the same smoke, and so on. If you are playing games from a reasonable distance you are unlikely to see much, if any difference between the consoles."

Yeah so what if this thread was made? If you dont want to discuss this issue there are thousands of other topics you can go to.

And same goes to him for bringing up pc, I didnt ask is pc more powerful than ps4 because I know the answer.

But looking at games like watchdogs and sniper elite, pc vs ps4, the pc is better looking but its barely noticeable texture wise, yes the frame rate is miles ahead. So thats kind of shameful on pc when their rig costs 10x as much and they are not even getting 2x the performance of ps4.

My point , which seems to go over your head entirely , is that this isn`t a peaceful topic now , and it was never the thousand times someone has wanted to discuss why the ps4 is more powerful on the Xbox One board. You can make any topic you want but don`t pretend to be oblivious to that fact.
#45Shadowfxd2Posted 8/11/2014 10:38:54 PM
TheBonfini posted...
Jedi454 posted...

The gap between game boy and 3ds is greater. The point is it's a more capable machine.

the gap between Wii to Wii U is greater than the gaps between 360 to xbone or ps3 to ps4.
#46SolisPosted 8/12/2014 12:14:45 AM
iamdanthaman posted...
Ok, so here's the next paragraph from the article you quoted:

In Microsoftís favor, the Xbox One has 32MB of super-fast embedded SRAM (about 102GB/sec in each direction, for a total of 204GB/sec of bandwidth). If this ESRAM is used properly, as a cache, then itís possible that the huge difference in main system RAM bandwidth can be ameliorated. This will most likely come down to individual developers (do they have the time and inclination to use the ESRAM?), and whether Microsoft makes it easy to use the ESRAM efficiently. Itís worth noting that the Xbox 360 used embedded DRAM, so itís highly likely that Microsoft and developers will know how to make the most of it.

Also, the 50% more powerful GPU is incorrect. The PS4's GPU has 50% more compute units(18 vs only 12 for the XB1), but the XB1's GPU has a 20% faster clock speed. So, now that the 10% kinect reservation has been removed, that means that the PS4's GPU is only 25% faster. Add to that the fact that Sony recommends that 4 of the CU's be used for "GPU computing" because they won't make much of a difference graphically because the system is bottle-necked elsewhere.

I agree with others that the XB1 will never fully close the gap with the PS4 because it is just less powerful overall, but there seems to be more untapped potential, especially in that esram, that needs to be ironed out by developers figuring out how to fully utilize it. I imagine that a year from now, most multiplats will run in the same resolution on both consoles, but will have a little less detail and post-processing on the XB1, but the only people who will actually notice will be the tryhards that are looking for it.

No, the Xbox One has a GPU clockspeed less than 7% faster than the PS4's, which still entails a more than 40% faster GPU on the PS4 overall. The 10% Kinect reservation was reducing the ALREADY slower GPU on the Xbox One, meaning that until then the PS4 actually had more than 50% higher GPU throughput before the Kinect processing requirement was removed (assuming that the PS4 doesn't have any major GPU processing reservations).

And if the systems end up using 4 of the CUs for compute processing, then the gap would actually become larger again because then the Xbox One would only have 8 CUs remaining for graphical rendering vs 14 on the PS4, resulting in notably more than a 50% advantage in speed on the PS4 side of things. If GPGPU features are leveraged across the systems, a larger percentage of the Xbox One's GPU will need to be reserved away from graphical operations than the PS4's. Although it's hard to say how many games will utilize many GPGPU features going forward.

The main benefit of eSRAM is primarily going to be from framebuffer rendering however, which every game released thus far should be using it for anyway. That's what the eDRAM on the Xbox 360 was used for. Even if the eSRAM is utilized more however, it can only increase bandwidth to specific resources, which simply won't be able to make up for a weaker GPU unless the processing is hugely bandwidth limited AND is able to fit into the remaining eSRAM memory.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#47schmarkenheimerPosted 8/12/2014 3:44:53 AM
Both are using a large amount of resources at this moment in time. Developers aren't stupid, anyone who thinks that they're only utilising a small portion is only kidding themselves. Yes, it might not be perfect but it is being used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sSY2KXBoro0#t=840

"We've been working a lot on the next generation consoles and just optimising CPU performance... [...] trying to get to 64 players 60fps [...] we have around 90-95% CPU utilisation on the next gen consoles running on those 6 Jaguar cores running in parallel. "

Yes, it is not perfect. Yes, there'll be improvements over time for all platforms. Moving on from cross-gen for example will see a big improvement over time because they aren't designed completely for the new hardware, things like GPU compute - compute shader particle systems v pixel shaders for example is supposedly a big increase in worst case scenarios. However, facts remain - the PS4 has a more powerful GPU. What's most important for gaming? Graphics. That gap will never go away. However I'm looking forward to the stacked memory of the next gen systems (at least I assume they'll use them). 1TB/s+ gogo.
---
Post of the ****ing year. - crimsyn_76 Best. Example. Ever. - Veliconis
Epic. - Xade76 Want to run that by us in English instead of Derp, champ? - pies12
#48don_sf(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 4:58:28 PM
Solis posted...
iamdanthaman posted...
Ok, so here's the next paragraph from the article you quoted:

In Microsoftís favor, the Xbox One has 32MB of super-fast embedded SRAM (about 102GB/sec in each direction, for a total of 204GB/sec of bandwidth). If this ESRAM is used properly, as a cache, then itís possible that the huge difference in main system RAM bandwidth can be ameliorated. This will most likely come down to individual developers (do they have the time and inclination to use the ESRAM?), and whether Microsoft makes it easy to use the ESRAM efficiently. Itís worth noting that the Xbox 360 used embedded DRAM, so itís highly likely that Microsoft and developers will know how to make the most of it.

Also, the 50% more powerful GPU is incorrect. The PS4's GPU has 50% more compute units(18 vs only 12 for the XB1), but the XB1's GPU has a 20% faster clock speed. So, now that the 10% kinect reservation has been removed, that means that the PS4's GPU is only 25% faster. Add to that the fact that Sony recommends that 4 of the CU's be used for "GPU computing" because they won't make much of a difference graphically because the system is bottle-necked elsewhere.

I agree with others that the XB1 will never fully close the gap with the PS4 because it is just less powerful overall, but there seems to be more untapped potential, especially in that esram, that needs to be ironed out by developers figuring out how to fully utilize it. I imagine that a year from now, most multiplats will run in the same resolution on both consoles, but will have a little less detail and post-processing on the XB1, but the only people who will actually notice will be the tryhards that are looking for it.

No, the Xbox One has a GPU clockspeed less than 7% faster than the PS4's, which still entails a more than 40% faster GPU on the PS4 overall. The 10% Kinect reservation was reducing the ALREADY slower GPU on the Xbox One, meaning that until then the PS4 actually had more than 50% higher GPU throughput before the Kinect processing requirement was removed (assuming that the PS4 doesn't have any major GPU processing reservations).

And if the systems end up using 4 of the CUs for compute processing, then the gap would actually become larger again because then the Xbox One would only have 8 CUs remaining for graphical rendering vs 14 on the PS4, resulting in notably more than a 50% advantage in speed on the PS4 side of things. If GPGPU features are leveraged across the systems, a larger percentage of the Xbox One's GPU will need to be reserved away from graphical operations than the PS4's. Although it's hard to say how many games will utilize many GPGPU features going forward.

The main benefit of eSRAM is primarily going to be from framebuffer rendering however, which every game released thus far should be using it for anyway. That's what the eDRAM on the Xbox 360 was used for. Even if the eSRAM is utilized more however, it can only increase bandwidth to specific resources, which simply won't be able to make up for a weaker GPU unless the processing is hugely bandwidth limited AND is able to fit into the remaining eSRAM memory.

agreed.
#49kyncaniPosted 8/15/2014 9:38:51 AM
sammogard posted...
The difference isn't that big tho. people need to stop with the ps4 is more powerful.

i have both and i play on my xbox one and i do not like anything about my ps4. it just looks prettier is slightly faster.

nothing major..... never will be nothing different other then slightly better graphics with better lighting.

, better prices, better controller, bigger communities, better online, ...

Problem is : there is no reason to buy games on Xbox One when you also have a PS4.