Halo versus CoD: Poker versus Snap?

#1SigmaLongshotPosted 8/11/2014 11:59:23 AM
This is something I always encounter when talking to shooter fans.

In some ways, something like the 90s shooters (see Quake etc) had the balance right. But when I refer to the two most prominent shooter "big hitters", I often equate them to different extremes.

Call of Duty's recent announcement really hammers it home - it's a game of Snap. It's an instantly-gratifying, back-into-the-action, game of reflexes. The win is short-lived, but feels good, and the person with the itchiest trigger finger gets the rush.

On the other hand, I see Halo as a completely strategic shooter. The slower pace makes every move feel significant, and every battle is as much a mindgame as it is a visceral bout. For example, you may seem doomed in the drawn-out battles, but that doesn't mean the battle is lost. Do you throw a grenade? Shield-rip, run for the powerful punch? Pull back? Even when the opponent thinks he has won, you may have an ace up your sleeve.

Neither card game (and, of course, neither shooter) is superior for it, but I drew the comparison because after the CoD announcement, a friend declared, "And that's why it takes more skill to be good at Call of Duty!" - after which, I stated skill isn't all reflexes but also psychological warfare, and he didn't fully understand.

Can anyone else at least empathise with this particular analogy (or create a better one to help illustrate the sentiment)?

---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#2redditon4chanPosted 8/11/2014 12:02:49 PM
I've never even heard of Snap, lol.
#3duericPosted 8/11/2014 12:07:12 PM
The only skill you really need in COD is controller battery management.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#4WarsuhPosted 8/11/2014 12:13:18 PM
Anybody can pick a controller up and drop a 50 bomb on COD. Halo takes a lot more skill since your enemies are 5x stronger then COD and just a lot of other reasons. So yeah I agree with you.
#5SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 8/11/2014 12:14:06 PM
redditon4chan posted...

Ah, it's also known as "pairs". Like, you all have a pile of cards, place it into a central pile, and if you get a likewise number or suit, you slam your hand on the pile and shout "Snap!" - it's a game of super-reflexes.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#6sonicteam2k1Posted 8/11/2014 12:40:38 PM
dueric posted...

does that make you happy.
---
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games
#7squarex8264Posted 8/11/2014 12:41:19 PM
SigmaLongshot posted...
redditon4chan posted...

Ah, it's also known as "pairs". Like, you all have a pile of cards, place it into a central pile, and if you get a likewise number or suit, you slam your hand on the pile and shout "Snap!" - it's a game of super-reflexes.

Sounds similar to the game "Speed" I used to play growing up. But that game had 2 piles, and you could put down a card if it matched value or was ascending/descending value from the card shown.
---
"You guys can sig that if you want." -TheArcade
#8duericPosted 8/11/2014 12:46:51 PM
sonicteam2k1 posted...
dueric posted...

does that make you happy.

Yeah. Saves me $60 every year.

Playing COD is like playing basketball with a field mouse. Sure, you're going to do well and win easily, but when you do you can't help but feel a little empty inside.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#9CapwnDPosted 8/11/2014 1:03:54 PM
^somebody is bad at COD.
---
Death to the New Flesh, long live Videodrome!
#10WarsuhPosted 8/11/2014 1:06:10 PM
CapwnD posted...
^somebody is bad at COD.

You can't be bad at COD. My 10 year old brother played COD for the first time 2 weeks ago and went 17-9 thats pretty good for a 10 year old. COD takes no skill.