For those just joining us today: Exclusivity is now "evil" and "terrible."

#1TheBorderColliePosted 8/12/2014 7:34:01 PM
It's fascinating; Today when we got up out of bed, we were living in a world where we had been assured that exclusivity is a good thing...that it helps set consoles apart from each other....and that it was a true testament to how much a company values its customer-base.

Yet shortly after the announcement that the next Tomb Raider will be exclusive on Xbox, now the message is that it "hurts the industry" and "fragments the gaming public" and "shows just how selfish and egotistical that company truly is."

We even had one visitor to this board claiming earlier today that before the Tomb Raider announcement, he was planning to purchase an Xbox One. But now that the exclusivity has been announced, he has supposedly changed his mind because it's somehow bad and an awful decision on Microsoft's part.

So I'm sure I'm not the only one who is confused - Which is it?

Is it wonderful and amazing and a "megaton"....as it was when Bloodborn was announced for Sony?

Or is it now the root of all evil and completely irrelevant and worthless as we are being told today?

Either way is fine with me...I just want to know what rule set we're following when the next exclusive is announced - regardless of which company gets it.
---
Proud supporter of the PS4 and Xbox #1
# of trolling Inbox messages deleted - without reading them - and users reported / banned: 11 :)
#2ACx7Posted 8/12/2014 7:35:34 PM
Storied and established multiplatform franchises being bought out and made exclusive, even if is for a short time, is terrible and evil. This is nothing new.
---
Wii-U: ACxSeven 3DS: 5455-9878-3366
PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: ACx7
#3ElemayowePosted 8/12/2014 7:36:56 PM
I approve of this thread.

Also exclusive games should now only receive user ratings of 0 to 2 out 10.

Because exclusivity's bad mmmkay, and so are MS, and MS exclusives are the devil and if you buy them you're endorsing satanism and the sins and destruction of man.
---
XBL: DeathOnSkates 3DS: 0602 - 6733 - 6087
#4leatheljPosted 8/12/2014 7:39:50 PM
Because it's Microsoft not sony nuff said. It's cool to hate Microsoft. That said I own xb1 ps4 and wii u and a PC that I don't play much for gameing.
---
Every one has there own opinions unless theirs is stupid.
#5skermacPosted 8/12/2014 7:40:17 PM
Evilness redefined
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#6Tajaz2426Posted 8/12/2014 7:40:37 PM
I think it is more of a game that is enjoyed by many people and a company for some reason throwing money at it, when the last TR games sold under 200K in the X1.

I am purchasing my son TR on his X1 the same as I was going to do it yesterday. It doesn't help X1 sales in anyway because the people that were going to get it on the X1 are still going to get it. It isn't a system seller game when the last one should so little.

It just lost a big fanbase, I guess that is why people are upset. I don't play TR myself, but my kids enjoy them. Just makes little sense to buy out a game you are already getting.

If the new game was going to sell 500k on the PS4 and you got 10 percent of them to switch over the the X1 it is only 60k consoles. It is a really weird buyout I guess.
---
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, PotUS
#7-StarCraftPosted 8/12/2014 7:47:01 PM(edited)
skermac posted...
Evilness redefined
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

---
3DS FC: 2595-1380-9970
Ign: GHOST
#8ThePaleRiderpPosted 8/12/2014 7:48:59 PM(edited)
Buying a multiplatform title for your console is a bad business practice. TC Bloodbourne is:

1. A new IP
2. Being co developed by Sony Japan studio and From Software. They partly funded its creation same way Nintendo did with Bayonetta 2. So to sum it up. No Sony= no bloodborne and no Nintendo= no Bayonetta 2.

The reason people are upset is because this is/was a multiplatform game and would have existed regardless. Exclusives from the console makers make sense because it is their games. Money hatting third parties doesn't make sense. Especially in todays industry where porting between PS4 PC and Xbox is a non issue. I honestly think it would have been cool if Microsoft used that money to expand their first party studios and make new games.
---
Valar morghulis
#9TheBorderCollie(Topic Creator)Posted 8/12/2014 8:31:16 PM
ACx7 posted...
Storied and established multiplatform franchises being bought out and made exclusive, even if is for a short time, is terrible and evil.

Why?
---
Proud supporter of the PS4 and Xbox #1
# of trolling Inbox messages deleted - without reading them - and users reported / banned: 11 :)
#10Foxx3kPosted 8/12/2014 8:36:16 PM
I think the hope people have is that exclusives are used to build an internal knowledgebase that acts in its own interest and grows and grows becoming stronger and stronger, better understanding the unique interests of its customer base, the unique infrastructure it has to work with, and sharing that technology with other first party studios.

Conventional 'wisdom' likes to think that Microsoft dumps money on somebody and buys an exclusive and then washes their hands of them.

Of course we don't know the details of the partnership. It's entirely possible that Microsoft is offering this insight to Crystal Dynamics, improving their workflow with the Xbox One infrastructure, streamlining their development process... Or just the benefit of having an improved cash flow during development.
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]