Microsoft on Xbox One: 1080p Isn't Some "Mythical, Perfect Resolution"

#11EnclavePosted 8/13/2014 2:49:21 PM
IceHusky posted...
Who cares about 1080p. It is not a requirement to make the game more enjoyable for me; especially since I play most of my games on a 720p capable HDTV anyways and the games still look great. 1080p is vastly overrated as the end-all, be-all resolution requirement and this is the same tune I will sing once the Xbox One can output it natively and makes it a standard resolution, although I won't complain if games have it, as developers figure out how to make it available.

When most people point out the resolution of a game? They tend to do so with multiplatform games and then compare it to the PS4. If one system has the same game but running at a lower resolution? Most people will tend to want the version of the game that will run at the higher resolution because it's simply the better product.

This is why Microsoft would do well to stop bringing this up all the time. It does them no favours.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#12Laylow12(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2014 2:50:56 PM
IceHusky posted...
Who cares about 1080p. It is not a requirement to make the game more enjoyable for me; especially since I play most of my games on a 720p capable HDTV anyways and the games still look great. 1080p is vastly overrated as the end-all, be-all resolution requirement and this is the same tune I will sing once the Xbox One can output it natively and makes it a standard resolution, although I won't complain if games have it, as developers figure out how to make it available.

The problem is that engages the upscaler which produces blurry and muddy looking images as it tries to compensate for the lack of detail.

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#13Laylow12(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2014 2:56:58 PM
Enclave posted...
IceHusky posted...

When most people point out the resolution of a game? They tend to do so with multiplatform games and then compare it to the PS4. If one system has the same game but running at a lower resolution? Most people will tend to want the version of the game that will run at the higher resolution because it's simply the better product.

This is why Microsoft would do well to stop bringing this up all the time. It does them no favours.

I agree wholeheartedly. His PR spinning is back-firing as he looks untrustworthy now and points out one of his competitions advantages.

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#14prozac786Posted 8/13/2014 2:59:48 PM
IceHusky posted...

To be fair, I would have said this exact same thing about games in native 720p, because after playing them on my PS3 for 7 years, I was happy with those visuals and that resolution.

However, now, after actually playing some of those games on the PS4, I can't go back. There is just so much more clarity. It's a huge difference, after all, the pixel count gets more than doubled.

Granted, this isn't as obvious on small displays, but I'm gaming on 44" and 55" TVs, where the difference is very noticeable.

Had I not seen this in effect with my own eyes, I'd still be agreeing with IceHusky.

However, the way things are now, 1080p may not be the perfect resolution, but it's far far better than 720p.
---
PSN Prozac786
"It shows how poorly education and raised someone really are." bob15x
#15IceHuskyPosted 8/13/2014 3:00:14 PM
Enclave posted...
IceHusky posted...

Laylow12 posted...
IceHusky posted...

The problem is that engages the upscaler which produces blurry and muddy looking images as it tries to compensate for the lack of detail.

Again...who cares. As long as the games look better than PS3/Xbox360 games, which Xbox One games do, then it is fine with me. There is bigger things to deal with than the lack of 1080p, like shady gaming corporations, DLC, microtransactions, casual games and trolls who antagonize others via Xbox Live/PSN. You kids and your resolutions. >_>
---
My Game Collection: http://vgcollect.com/icewolf
I miss you Dad: 1943 - 2004
#16CovenantPosted 8/13/2014 3:01:12 PM
I don't particularly care about resolution, but people who do don't see 1080p as "mythical" or "perfect". They see it as "standard", which makes this generation of consoles "sub-standard".
#17prozac786Posted 8/13/2014 3:02:44 PM(edited)
To add to my above post, as others have said, when two competitive systems, similarly priced and both running the same game, have a resolution or other visual difference, it's natural for consumers to want the superior version.

So yes, people do care.
---
PSN Prozac786
"It shows how poorly education and raised someone really are." bob15x
#18Forget_Me_LovePosted 8/13/2014 3:03:23 PM
Laylow12 posted...
IceHusky posted...

He's right. 1080p has been hugely overblown this gen. I have to laugh at people who say anything less is "muddy or blurry", how did they game on anything less than a PC all last gen?

Also why do you put a period spaced out after your posts? To make them longer or something. It's really annoying.
---
Say you'll share with me one love, one lifetime. Lead me, save me from my solitude. Say you'll want me with you here beside you. Anywhere you go, let me go too.
#19RCW29Posted 8/13/2014 3:03:50 PM
IceHusky posted...
Again...who cares. As long as the games look better than PS3/Xbox360 games, which Xbox One games do, then it is fine with me. There is bigger things to deal with than the lack of 1080p, like shady gaming corporations, DLC, microtransactions, casual games and trolls who antagonize others via Xbox Live. You kids and your resolutions. >_>

I agree, MS's continued existence in gaming IS more troubling that 1080p.
#20EnclavePosted 8/13/2014 3:04:08 PM
IceHusky posted...
Again...who cares. As long as the games look better than PS3/Xbox360 games, which Xbox One games do, then it is fine with me. There is bigger things to deal with than the lack of 1080p, like shady gaming corporations, DLC, microtransactions, casual games and trolls who antagonize others via Xbox Live/PSN. You kids and your resolutions. >_>

You'll note, I very specifically was agreeing with you on that point. My point is that Microsoft would do well to stop bringing this up all the time.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.