Microsoft on Xbox One: 1080p Isn't Some "Mythical, Perfect Resolution"

#31YumeOMiruPosted 8/13/2014 2:29:27 PM
DonVito1990 posted...
Enclave posted...
Ugh, this just adds fuel to the fire. He's not exactly wrong but always bringing this up does Microsoft no favours. If they would just stop talking about it people would slowly stop complaining about it. Every time somebody at Microsoft does this it just comes off as damage control and makes trolls focus on it all over again.

What was he supposed to say?

"No comment, next question?"

Something like:

"Thatīs why I always say competition is good, Sony pushing 1080p, is making us push 1080p, is only matter of time before we catch them."
---
Having a dream is essential to live.
#32IceHuskyPosted 8/13/2014 2:30:54 PM(edited)
prozac786 posted...
IceHusky posted...
prozac786 posted...
To add to my above post, as others have said, when two competitive systems, similarly priced and both running the same game, have a resolution or other visual difference, it's natural for consumers to want the superior version.

So yes, people do care.

Well I don't, so whatever. Yes, PS4 games look good but so do Xbox One games, despite the resolution disparity. So I don't see what the problem is. Resolution shouldn't make a game look good, it should be the care and precision that is put into the graphics of games to make it look good; if that is what is important to you. As the old saying goes: you can polish a turd, but at the end of the day it is still going to look like a turd.

You asked who cares, I showed you some do. And I think you're missing the point. If you have a modern game with great effort spent on graphics and visuals, but you set the native resolution to 480p and then view it on a normal display of today, say a 40" TV, it will look like crap. Take that same game, change nothing in it, but set the native resolution to 1080p and you'll see a huge improvement in the visuals. So yes, resolution actually does make a game look good, regardless of how much effort was spent elsewhere.

And as I said before, talking about identical games, meaning everything else being the same, after playing one at 720p and another at 1080p, on a 55" display, there is a huge difference.

Not only that, but the games with the better resolution, often have bettet textures, better particle effects, better lighting, better foliage, better draw distance, better ground clearence, better liquid detail, better framerate, better frame stability, etc.

So, in all of these cases, it's never just a difference in resolution.

Really? Comparing 480p to 1080p? Of course, there is going to be a difference between those 2 resolutions, as they are literally like night and day. Whereas 720p and 1080p, there is very negligible difference except for those who want to hold it over the heads of console owners who have the higher resolution on their console of choice. C'mon now, at least present your view with some intelligence before typing. Sheesh!

Besides, going back to your 480p/1080p comparison: I'd rather take a console with 480p resolution with amazing games (eg., SNES) than a console with 1080p resolution and crappy games (eg., PS4). Hey, if you are going to use such a contrasting point of view in resolution, I will use a contrasting view in game libraries too. lol
---
My Game Collection: http://vgcollect.com/icewolf
I miss you Dad: 1943 - 2004
#33LooksLikeRainPosted 8/13/2014 2:30:07 PM
I agree with Spencer. It's never bothered me when games aren't 1080p.
---
GT: Frightbeard.
#34Shadowfxd2Posted 8/13/2014 2:30:30 PM
ChiliPup posted...
"Damage control"

Seems like all MS does this gen, is lie then damage control.
#35prozac786Posted 8/13/2014 2:30:46 PM
a687947 posted...
prozac786 posted...
So, by Phil's logic, what's 720p then?

By your logic what is 1440p? Or 4k? They're both higher resolution than 1080p, so what he is saying is actually correct.

Try reading what I wrote, again. Slowly this time.
---
PSN Prozac786
"It shows how poorly education and raised someone really are." bob15x
#36prozac786Posted 8/13/2014 2:34:32 PM
Hey husky, I used 480p as an example to get the point across easier. To prove that resolution does make a game look good, which you were denying above, when you said, "Resolution shouldn't make a game look good."

Why do you think PC players love their 1440p? Oh and..

720p is under 1 million pixels.
1080p is over 2 million pixels.

Unless you're gaming on a 14 inch screen lol.. The difference is a lot more than negligible.

Also, you seem to have only focused on the resolution part, and ignore the rest of the post lol..
---
PSN Prozac786
#37IceHuskyPosted 8/13/2014 2:40:23 PM
prozac786 posted...
Hey husky, I used 480p as an example to get the point across easier. To prove that resolution does make a game look good, which you were denying above, when you said, "Resolution shouldn't make a game look good."

Why do you think PC players love their 1440p? Oh and..

720p is under 1 million pixels.
1080p is over 2 million pixels.

Unless you're gaming on a 14 inch screen lol.. The difference is a lot more than negligible.

Also, you seem to have only focused on the resolution part, and ignore the rest of the post lol..

So then you are basing a game's desirability on it's resolution? By using extremes like 480p and 1080p, of course people are going to want 1080p since it will look better between the two. However, the difference between 720p and 1080p is almost negligible regardless of the screen size, that it shouldn't make a difference if a game with either 720p/1080p resolution is worth playing or not. Also, of course I am focusing on the resolution part because that is what this thread is about, is it not?
---
My Game Collection: http://vgcollect.com/icewolf
I miss you Dad: 1943 - 2004
#38prozac786Posted 8/13/2014 2:47:45 PM(edited)
Are you even reading what I said? I said in the cases identical games, which means Watch Dogs Xbox and Watch Dogs PS4, or Tomb Raider Xbox and Tomb Raider PS4, or Assassin's Creed Xbox and Assassin's Creed PS4, or BF4 Xbox and BF4 PS4.. Do you get it now?

So, in the cases of identical games, where the gameplay experience will be the same, then yes the one with the better resolution would be more desirable to some people, because it looks better. And the one with the better resolution also often has better textures, better particle effects, better lighting, better foliage, better draw distance, better ground clearence, better liquid detail, better framerate, better frame stability, etc.

So it's not just better in resolution, which can make it very desirable.

You can use the word negligible as much as you like, but on a big screen, there is a world of difference between 1 million pixels and 2 million pixels. You denying that won't change what's on screen.

And when responding to my post directly, it would only be logical of me to think you'd respond to the entire post, no?
---
PSN Prozac786
#39quincy2000aPosted 8/13/2014 2:45:55 PM
After this

http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/22/we-purposefully-did-not-target-the-highest-end-graphics-says-microsoft-3804061/

that's about what I expect him to say.

He says he owns a PS4? Someone needs to buy him copies of the X1 and PS4 versions and let him play those.
---
Microsoft Xbox One quote from May 2013 "We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics. We targeted it more as a broad entertainment player."
#40benjimainPosted 8/13/2014 2:46:15 PM
lol and just when Phil Spencer was starting to seem credible and like somebody you could take seriously.