Microsoft on Xbox One: 1080p Isn't Some "Mythical, Perfect Resolution"

#61YakashiPosted 8/13/2014 5:17:26 PM
The resolution thing certainly isn't important or a big deal. What is a big deal is how stupid MS are for bringing attention to it. They don't have to say anything about it but they always say the wrong things, regardless of the subject. It's been PR disasters one after the other.
---
Thanks for the response and have a blessed day.
#62ThePaleRiderpPosted 8/13/2014 5:20:19 PM
Run_2_the_Hills posted...
IceHusky posted...
I think people in this thread are forgetting that the PS2 was theoretically weaker in graphical output than the Xbox and Gamecube, including multiplatform games, yet it sold pretty well. Last time I checked, it was the best selling console of all time, including within the generation too. Also, need I mention the Wii? Which was outclassed graphically by the Xbox360 and PS3, yet the Wii sold in gangbusters; including being the best selling console on the market?

Unless everything I mentioned in the first paragraph suddenly changed with this new generation, graphical resolution does not always matter when it comes to the best selling gaming console; it is the games. If the Xbox One ends up having the best games, which so far it is pointing out to be that way, then it could easily pull in front as the best selling console for this generation.

I just think the PS4 fanboys have latched onto yet another thread within the Xbox One forum to find ways to attack it. Seriously guys...give it a rest. No matter what you say that is against the Xbox One forum is going to convince people NOT to buy an Xbox One.

the difference is the ps2 had a better library. sure if the x1 had a better library than the ps4 it might mean something, but lets face it >95% of the games are going to be on both systems. compare the ps2's library to the GC/OG xbox, there's a larger difference than the x1/ps4. so when comparing the x1/ps4 why pay the same for something less powerful?

Not to mention during that time the PS2 had alot going for it.

1. DVD's were relatively new so that was a selling point.

2. The competition had its own blunders that made the PS2 look good. GC with its low third party sales and OG Xbox's cut support from Microsoft about 4-5 years after release.

3. Most of the third party games the PS2 got were Japanese games. The Xbox has never been huge in Japan so that was a risk third party devs weren't going to take. And as I said with the GC, Nintendo had been losing third party support from devs for a while at the point.
---
Valar morghulis
#63SilentS89Posted 8/13/2014 5:27:44 PM(edited)
Cringe worthy and pathetic that it has come to this.

Sure, it isn't a "Mythical, Perfect Resolution", but it is better than what many Xbox One games offer.

EDIT: Honestly, I'd be a lot more tolerant of Xbox One's limitations if it actually was a "Mythical, Perfect Resolution". It is less excusable when PC's have it as essentially a bare minimum resolution.
#64Blinx_CatPosted 8/13/2014 5:27:19 PM
Yakashi posted...
The resolution thing certainly isn't important or a big deal. What is a big deal is how stupid MS are for bringing attention to it. They don't have to say anything about it but they always say the wrong things, regardless of the subject. It's been PR disasters one after the other.

Exactly. They have made a huge stinking mess and they won't ever fully recover. I know one way they could. Build a new Xbox with as much power as the PS4 or more and give their fans what they want.
#65UsabellPosted 8/13/2014 5:45:22 PM
Porunga posted...
Well, he is right. 1080p is nice, it is preferred, but it is far from required. Just because a game is 1080p or 4k or 10k doesn't mean the game will be perfect and will have the "greatest graphics". Resolution is only one aspect out of many. Resolution means nothing if the textures, shaders, lighting, etc is substandard. What good is a 1080p atari 2600 game?

You forgot the most important thing, frame rate. What good is a 4k game that runs at 2-10 FPS?
---
Consoles shouldn't be about 480p, 720p, 1080p or the prettiest slideshow.
They're about a magical box that outputs wonderful streams of 60 images per second.
#66UsabellPosted 8/13/2014 5:48:18 PM
Laylow12 posted...
IceHusky posted...
Who cares about 1080p. It is not a requirement to make the game more enjoyable for me; especially since I play most of my games on a 720p capable HDTV anyways and the games still look great. 1080p is vastly overrated as the end-all, be-all resolution requirement and this is the same tune I will sing once the Xbox One can output it natively and makes it a standard resolution, although I won't complain if games have it, as developers figure out how to make it available.

The problem is that engages the upscaler which produces blurry and muddy looking images as it tries to compensate for the lack of detail.

Exactly that. Your 720p TV displays the games properly, but on a 1080p TV you will not have the same nice picture quality. That's why I prefer to use a HD CRT TV that can do both 720p and 1080i natively and both look perfect. ALso because of motion clarity and input lag.
---
They're about a magical box that outputs wonderful streams of 60 images per second.
#67Rizzman111Posted 8/13/2014 6:07:47 PM
I don't care about 1080. All I cache about is 60 FPS
---
"Im gonna need a hacksaw" - Jack Bauer
#68UsabellPosted 8/13/2014 6:11:21 PM(edited)
Laylow12 posted...
Most people want the best for their money. You obviously don't but you gotta understand you're in the minority here. It's called value.

The PS4 is -right now- definitely *not* the best value for money. So I don't understand the "majority". Probably just blinded by some kind of hype. Maybe the PS4 will eventually increase in value, especially once a slim/super slim/ultra slim version comes out with better built hardware and better built controllers that don't have cheap analog sticks where the rubber breaks off. We'll have to see if Sony lasts that long financially, though.
---
#69DahlVaughnniPosted 8/13/2014 6:44:13 PM
IceHusky posted...
Who cares about 1080p. It is not a requirement to make the game more enjoyable for me; especially since I play most of my games on a 720p capable HDTV anyways and the games still look great. 1080p is vastly overrated as the end-all, be-all resolution requirement and this is the same tune I will sing once the Xbox One can output it natively and makes it a standard resolution, although I won't complain if games have it, as developers figure out how to make it available.

I care about resolution. If they want us to pay 500 bucks for a new experience, I'd better get a new experience. As of now, the xbone is just an xbox 360 with slightly crisper textures. When xbone games don't even look as good as a 2006 PC game with a texture pack, there's a serious problem.
---
No longer reading moderation messages. Mods aren't competent enough to do their jobs so I don't need to waste my time on their notifications.
#70Reginleif20Posted 8/13/2014 6:52:23 PM
Laylow12 posted...
Phil Spencer is down playing 1080p resolution in another interview.

Partner Article:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-on-xbox-one-1080p-isnt-some-mythical-per/1100-6421708/?utm_source=gamefaqs&utm_medium=partner&utm_content=news_module&utm_campaign=hub_platform

Phil, it's 2014, 1080p should be standard for your supposed next gen console. You're not Nintendo
---
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.