Microsoft on Xbox One: 1080p Isn't Some "Mythical, Perfect Resolution"

#81PorungaPosted 8/13/2014 10:39:21 PM
teh1337gosu posted...
HARDCORE1107 posted...
"If the textures, shaders, lighting, etc is substandard.. What good is a 1080p atari 2600 game!?"

Pure comedy I tell you

Yes Wind Waker looks like an Atari game..

Who said it did?
#82PizzatarianPosted 8/13/2014 11:08:09 PM
Laylow12 posted...
Phil Spencer is down playing 1080p resolution in another interview.

Classic Laylow; always taking things out of context so that you can spin something one comment about gameplay into a sensationalized thread that not only fuels the console war, but also fulfills your Anti-Xbox One agenda.

Phil Spencer stated in the CVG interview that, "There are a long list of games. Reaching parity with our partners has been important. But in the end I don't want it to be about a number, because 1080p isn't some mythical, perfect resolution. Framerate to me is significantly more important to gameplay than resolution and the mix of those two which brings the right art style and freedom, whether it's on PlayStation or our platform."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/474250/interviews/interview-xbox-head-phil-spencer-on-tomb-raider-and-ones-digital-future/

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that statement because I would also rather play a game at 900p/60fps than 1080p/30fps. But, you know, I guess that's just me though. The resolution, frames, artwork, gameplay, theme, characters, story, etc, should always be up to the people developing a game, and not the head of one console company that expects certain standards and then refuses to support them if they are not meet. In other words, this topic is ridiculous because games should always be about fun.
---
"When you work with your hands, you'll never be rich, but you'll never go hungry." ~ SR3
#83TheGam3925Posted 8/13/2014 11:30:21 PM
I bet Phil Spencer owns a 1080p television, as do most of his loyal fanboys lol.
---
Reviews? Polls? Sales? Resolution? FPS? Nothing matters now except for what the competition does not have.
#84TheoryzCPosted 8/13/2014 11:44:40 PM
So many people probably didn't read the article at all
---
This is where my sigs suppose to be.
#85HairyReidPosted 8/13/2014 11:45:26 PM
But 917p? Ooh, yeah, that's the sweet stuff. Gimme more of that!
#86SolisPosted 8/14/2014 1:30:12 AM(edited)
He's correct about that actually: 1080p is just another resolution on a scale that reaches from 0 to infinity. There's no "Mythical, Perfect Resolution", but obviously having a higher resolution will be superior to having a lower one.

Usabell posted...
Exactly that. Your 720p TV displays the games properly, but on a 1080p TV you will not have the same nice picture quality. That's why I prefer to use a HD CRT TV that can do both 720p and 1080i natively and both look perfect. ALso because of motion clarity and input lag.

Hardly any recent HDTV is going to be 720p native. Virtually all "720p" LCD HDTVs are going to actually be 1366x768 native, which is going to scale 720p content up to it even worse than a 1080p set would. Although ideally, you'd want a 4K display so that you can properly scale from either 720p OR 1080p with pixel perfect accuracy (as long as you can disable scale processing on it).

Foxx3k posted...
Nintendo has lots of 1080p.

3 games is "lots" now? Unless you're only including Nintendo developed games, in which case you reach a whopping 1 game.

Reginleif20 posted...
Exactly, the xbone should have far more 1080p games than Nintendo

Microsoft had more when they launched the Xbox One, nevermind how many they have now.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#87Laylow12(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 7:16:41 AM
I thought Phil was changing the way Microsoft handled PR but he's resorting to the same dishonest assertions that tainted the brand to begin with. It casts doubt on everything he says. =\

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin