In the end, what did this whole Tomb Raider thing accomplish?

#11SoulTrapperPosted 8/13/2014 4:22:11 PM
It helped fill some people's ignore list.

Besides that, it brought a lot of negative attention to both Microsoft and the developer of the game.

The xbox fans loved it, but they already have an xbox, so that didn't really accomplish much.
#12regsantotomasPosted 8/13/2014 4:22:21 PM
I was going to buy the TR sequel on Xbox One. Now, I am still going to buy it on Xbox One.

Non-issue is non-issue for me.

If it came out exclusively on PS4, then maybe there would be something to consider. Perhaps that is what Microsoft is hoping for.
---
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything - Mark Twain
#13Cows Go HisssssPosted 8/13/2014 4:23:32 PM
It shows Microsoft listens to all the whiners and complainers.

Microsoft probably would not have said anything about timed exclusivity if it wasnt for the thousands of enraged people that hate Xbox that complained all over the internet. I heard that Microsoft was getting death threats over this.

For all we know, Tomb Raider could have been a forever exclusive, but after the massive backlash from internet users, Microsoft and the Tomb Raider fans changed their minds.
---
hey foo
hey foo
#14Team_NinjaPosted 8/13/2014 4:24:17 PM
It proves that MS has more triple A exclusives as a whole. Their own exclusives, and the bought exclusives. Sony only has their own exclusives.
#15Apex-PlayerPosted 8/13/2014 4:24:32 PM
Tried to cover up Share Play coming to ps4 in the next ps4 update.
It did steal media attention away from Sony and Share Play but in the end won't matter.

Share Play is the 'next generation' multiplayer experience.
Anyone who tries to deny how epic it is for online gaming with friends is foolish.

Although xbox gets TR first, once ps4 owners get it they will be able to enjoy the single player experience of it with a friend taking turns by virtually passing the controller back and forth. Well enjoying likely higher resolution/framerate and dlc.
---
Unbearable is it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends.
There's a secret song at the center of the world and its sound is like razors through flesh
#16duericPosted 8/13/2014 4:24:43 PM
prozac786 posted...
dueric posted...
Frankly, I don't get it either. Why Tomb Raider? Even if it were a straight exclusive. Why?

Even multiplat, TR wouldn't be anywhere near the top of the charts around the holidays. What is MS going for here?

I'm not gunna lie, as an Xbox fan, this whole TR thing is a disaster.

I think Tomb Raider has the potential to do what Uncharted and The Last of Us did for Sony.

Maybe MS felt the same way too? Who knows.

Cmon. Let's be realistic. Tomb Raider is not and never will be a system seller.

To me it seems like MS just called publishers and got turned down until Square.

MS to Square "Can you give us an exclusive?"

Square to MS, "Well, we got Tomb Raider, but you don't want th...."

MS interrupts "We'll take it"
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#17Yi LongPosted 8/13/2014 4:25:17 PM
Well, for me personally, it didn't do much. I'm a PS4 owner so it's a bit of a shocker to see it as a timed exclusive for XBO, but I was gonna wait for a ' complete' edition anyway, so it doesn't really affect me.

I never like it when Nintendo, Sony or MS ' buy' a 3rd party game to be exclusive to their system. First of all, I think all gamers should be able to play their favourite games (3rd party) on the system of their choice, and seeing MS spend a whole lot of money to keep PS4 owners from playing Tomb Raider 2, it's just a bit pathetic.

I feel that IF you're gonna spend that kinda money on an exclusive, at least create a completely new and original game, instead of just buying a game that already exists.

To be totally honest, it's a bit sad that TR2 being an XBO exclusive was pretty much THE big news from the MS show, and they didn't really have that much else to announce that was really interesting.

I know some people are impressed by Quantum Break, but personally I wasn't that excited from what I saw.

I hope they'll have a much better Tokyo Game Show. They need to announce totally new and original stuff that will blow people away, if they want to compete with Sony.
#18RCW29Posted 8/13/2014 4:26:38 PM
All it did was anger the fanbase of tomb raider, and further damage Microsoft's reputation and public image, as well as damaged Square Enix as well. MS and SE did NOT come out of this looking good.
#19Tajaz2426Posted 8/13/2014 4:27:49 PM
MicrosoftLover posted...
We don't even care about Tomb Raider, so there!

X-MEN! UNITE!

I like it, my youngest has his X1 and he is firmly behind this name! Keep it up bud.
---
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, PotUS
#20duericPosted 8/13/2014 4:28:55 PM
RCW29 posted...
All it did was anger the fanbase of tomb raider, and further damage Microsoft's reputation and public image, as well as damaged Square Enix as well. MS and SE did NOT come out of this looking good.

It did none of those things.

Driving around with $30,000 cash and a bunch of illegal prescriptions ruins an image. Signing an exclusive video game deal just pisses off stereotypes.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member