In the end, what did this whole Tomb Raider thing accomplish?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. In the end, what did this whole Tomb Raider thing accomplish?
11 months ago#21
All it really accomplished was getting a bunch of people to hate Microsoft even more and to get Crystal Dynamics to start having people hate them.

I think it was a huge bungle by both Microsoft and Squenix. I'm not so sure anybody is going to buy the Xbone specifically to get this game early but people will remember the **** storm caused by Microsoft and Squenix.

I also think Microsoft agrees with this outlook as evidenced by how quickly Phil Spencer admitted it's timed exclusivity.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
11 months ago#22
A lot of bad press for all involved, to be sure, but S-E is pretty much drowning in money now so I doubt they care.
11 months ago#23
Yi Long posted...

I feel that IF you're gonna spend that kinda money on an exclusive, at least create a completely new and original game, instead of just buying a game that already exists.

Remember, this is the same company that paid the NFL $400 million for a football app instead of getting 2 or 3 new actual AAA exclusives.
Don't expect too much investment in anything gaming related from them.
11 months ago#24
SoulTrapper posted...
Yi Long posted...

I feel that IF you're gonna spend that kinda money on an exclusive, at least create a completely new and original game, instead of just buying a game that already exists.

Remember, this is the same company that paid the NFL $400 million for a football app instead of getting 2 or 3 new actual AAA exclusives.

In fairness, the NFL is a way better investment.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
11 months ago#25
Yi Long posted...
Well, for me personally, it didn't do much. I'm a PS4 owner so it's a bit of a shocker to see it as a timed exclusive for XBO, but I was gonna wait for a ' complete' edition anyway, so it doesn't really affect me.

I never like it when Nintendo, Sony or MS ' buy' a 3rd party game to be exclusive to their system. First of all, I think all gamers should be able to play their favourite games (3rd party) on the system of their choice, and seeing MS spend a whole lot of money to keep PS4 owners from playing Tomb Raider 2, it's just a bit pathetic.

To be totally honest, it's a bit sad that TR2 being an XBO exclusive was pretty much THE big news from the MS show, and they didn't really have that much else to announce that was really interesting.

I know some people are impressed by Quantum Break, but personally I wasn't that excited from what I saw.

I hope they'll have a much better Tokyo Game Show. They need to announce totally new and original stuff that will blow people away, if they want to compete with Sony.

If you weren't impressed with MS's conference, I can only imagine what you thought of Sony's conference. Much worse.
11 months ago#26
dueric posted...
SoulTrapper posted...
Yi Long posted...

It probably would be a better investment a few years after release of the console but early on? Microsoft needed gamers on their side not the average person. That money definitely would have been better spent on some new exclusive IPs and at a later date getting an NFL app once the more casual crowd starts buying in. There's a reason Microsoft did a major shift in how it was handling this console from being marketed towards your average household with sports and TV fans to trying to be all about the games. They realised the mistake they made initially.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
11 months ago#27
For me, with fanboys apparently attack the voice actress over this nonsense, I definitely will never care to use voice chat on ANY platform. These f****** are OD WEIRD.
11 months ago#28
Just shows people take games too seriously as usual. I mean I loved the last tomb raider and can't wait for Rise, but if tables were turned and Sony had it as any form of exclusive, would I hate them or SE? Not at all.

There are other games to play, and more important things to worry about. If I cared that much about exclusives and dlc, be it timed or permanent, I'd bother to own every console.
---
Gamertag: Pickle Swift
3DS friend code: 4339-2579-4895
11 months ago#29
I'm tempted to go buy the last TR to see what all the fuss is about. I've been playing games for a long time and don't think I've ever had a conversation regarding TR until yesterday.
---
Rawr!
11 months ago#30
Enclave posted...
dueric posted...
SoulTrapper posted...
Yi Long posted...

It probably would be a better investment a few years after release of the console but early on? Microsoft needed gamers on their side not the average person. That money definitely would have been better spent on some new exclusive IPs and at a later date getting an NFL app once the more casual crowd starts buying in. There's a reason Microsoft did a major shift in how it was handling this console from being marketed towards your average household with sports and TV fans to trying to be all about the games. They realised the mistake they made initially.

It's not like that's the last $400 million MS had.

Make no mistake. The vast majority of console owners are made up of the casual crowd. They don't care any more about exclusives than hardcore gamers do about the NFL. But at least with them, the NFL is something and it only cost MS $400 million to get in on it.

The mistake MS made was thinking people wanted to spend $500 on a new console when the old one was still kicking.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. In the end, what did this whole Tomb Raider thing accomplish?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived