In the end, what did this whole Tomb Raider thing accomplish?

#31EnclavePosted 8/13/2014 4:50:55 PM
dueric posted...
Enclave posted...
dueric posted...
SoulTrapper posted...
Yi Long posted...

I feel that IF you're gonna spend that kinda money on an exclusive, at least create a completely new and original game, instead of just buying a game that already exists.

Remember, this is the same company that paid the NFL $400 million for a football app instead of getting 2 or 3 new actual AAA exclusives.
Don't expect too much investment in anything gaming related from them.

In fairness, the NFL is a way better investment.

It probably would be a better investment a few years after release of the console but early on? Microsoft needed gamers on their side not the average person. That money definitely would have been better spent on some new exclusive IPs and at a later date getting an NFL app once the more casual crowd starts buying in. There's a reason Microsoft did a major shift in how it was handling this console from being marketed towards your average household with sports and TV fans to trying to be all about the games. They realised the mistake they made initially.

It's not like that's the last $400 million MS had.

Make no mistake. The vast majority of console owners are made up of the casual crowd. They don't care any more about exclusives than hardcore gamers do about the NFL. But at least with them, the NFL is something and it only cost MS $400 million to get in on it.

The mistake MS made was thinking people wanted to spend $500 on a new console when the old one was still kicking.

Oh I agree with you on that. I just think that $400 million should have been used on some new exclusive IPs to release on the system in the first couple years and then a later $400 million should have been used on getting that app.

Games were what was needed first, not some NFL app that gamers don't much care about. Yes, casuals are who will own the system for the most part in the end but early on? It's gamers who are the majority owners of these consoles and the casuals tend to get swayed to other consoles by their gamer friends.

Something like the NFL app would have been far more powerful of a "get" a couple of years after release of the console compared to early on. Early on some new exclusive 1st party IPs would have been FAR more valuable.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#32PizzatarianPosted 8/13/2014 4:56:57 PM
If anything it showed how vocal the Sony and PC communities are.
---
"When you work with your hands, you'll never be rich, but you'll never go hungry." ~ SR3
#33blacklabelicePosted 8/13/2014 5:03:42 PM(edited)
it showed how the 'xbots' were so eager to jump the gun and brag over finally having something that the ps4/pc does not (rise of tomb raider) and take stabs at 'sony ponies' in a perilous quest to reassure themselves of owning the 'better' piece of plastic

now since thats over, nobody even cares about that game anymore. theyre all waiting for the next petty little thing that they believe gives them some kind of advantage

everybody seen this all coming anyways. especially a game franchise made that was once one of the playstations building blocks, being released from publishers who almost always go multiplatform the only people who were upset were the tomb raider fans who diont have an X1 and was mislead by microsoft into believing they wouldnt be able to play it.

it didnt seem like a big deal to anybody else. but according to xbox fanboys, ps4 users were mad rustled. that wasnt the case. only the tomb raider fans would care.
#34PizzatarianPosted 8/13/2014 5:02:32 PM
blacklabelice posted...
it showed how the 'xbots' were so eager to jump the gun and brag over finally having something that the ps4/pc does not (rise of tomb raider) and take stabs at 'sony ponies' in a perilous quest to reassure themselves of owning the 'better' piece of plastic

Oh so that's what all those meltdowns were about...
---
"When you work with your hands, you'll never be rich, but you'll never go hungry." ~ SR3
#35MicrosoftLoverPosted 8/13/2014 5:03:42 PM
blacklabelice posted...

now since thats over, nobody even cares about that game anymore. theyre all waiting for the next petty little thing that they believe gives them some kind of advantage

SUNSET OVERDRIVE, YEEEEAAAAH BAAAABYYY! It will END the PS4!
---
Not changing signature until Hideo Kojima retires or gets fired.
#36blacklabelicePosted 8/13/2014 5:06:12 PM(edited)
what meltdowns?

did one or two tomb raider fans get upset and make a thread and all of a sudden the whole board had a meltdown and every ps4 owner was in a rage over a game that quite frankly isnt as popular as it used to be and had a hard time selling the last 3 editions? damn. i would have liked to have been there to see that
#37blacklabelicePosted 8/13/2014 5:07:24 PM(edited)
MicrosoftLover posted...
blacklabelice posted...

SUNSET OVERDRIVE, YEEEEAAAAH BAAAABYYY! It will END the PS4!

youre still going on with that schtick? what happened with titanfall? shouldnt you throw some halo mcc in there as well just to rustle up the poor peasants who can only afford/choose to play on one console each gen?
#38duericPosted 8/13/2014 5:06:22 PM(edited)
Enclave posted...

Oh I agree with you on that. I just think that $400 million should have been used on some new exclusive IPs to release on the system in the first couple years and then a later $400 million should have been used on getting that app.

Games were what was needed first, not some NFL app that gamers don't much care about. Yes, casuals are who will own the system for the most part in the end but early on? It's gamers who are the majority owners of these consoles and the casuals tend to get swayed to other consoles by their gamer friends.

Something like the NFL app would have been far more powerful of a "get" a couple of years after release of the console compared to early on. Early on some new exclusive 1st party IPs would have been FAR more valuable.

The problem is it's not easy to just churn out AAA exclusives or they would.

On top of that, publishers aren't giving away exclusive licenses these days for games that they know will be hits. Why would they?

There's no risk with the NFL. It's the NFL. Girlfriends and wives dig the NFL.

Besides, what about Titanfall, Forza, and Dead Rising 3? You can't say they're not at least trying. EDIT: Forgot Sunset Overdrive.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#39PizzatarianPosted 8/13/2014 5:08:02 PM
blacklabelice posted...
what meltdowns?

did one or two tomb raider fans get upset and make a thread and all of a sudden the whole board had a meltdown? damn. i would have liked to have been there to see that

The threads were everywhere; Neogaf, IGN, Reddit, and even on here.

Also, I like how you are so quick to generalize an entire population of people (the Xbox community) while subsequently defending other ones for doing the same stuff. It goes both ways, man.
---
#40blacklabelicePosted 8/13/2014 5:12:54 PM(edited)
i agree it does go both ways. sony fanboys are no better than xbox fanboys. they are equally annoying.

smh at fanboys though. its one of the dumbest things ever. i just like to play games. i dont really follow these wars but its hard not to notice the juvenile trolling and arguing in tonnes of these threads, even over the silliest little things.

you see the same group of guys posting their threads and you know damn well theyre trying to troll up an argument....sadly these are the topics that get the most discussion while alot of interesting topics just sink to the bottom pretty much unnoticed