In the end, what did this whole Tomb Raider thing accomplish?

#51billOrileyPosted 8/14/2014 1:50:18 AM
It proves that ms isn't serious about making new ips with their first party studios so we'll all be stuck with gears, halo, forza, as the only true exclusives when their 3rd party exclusives go to other platforms later on...just like last gen.
#52da_StoOgePosted 8/14/2014 1:50:37 AM
I can only speak for myself, but it only served to piss me off and assure that I won't be buying an Xbox. Not even for Halo MC, like I was originally going to.
---
"It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die."
#53XspunkyXPosted 8/14/2014 1:57:12 AM
I think it was there way of gaining a bigger presence in Europe. Tomb Raider is big over there and they want to push XB1 so its a good idea in theory.
---
Favourite Games: Final Fantasy X, Borderlands, Diablo 2
#54billsfanno1Posted 8/14/2014 2:02:20 AM
It demonstrated for the umpteenth time what a fickle, fragile and moronic crowd Sony fanboys are.
#55StrongBlackVinePosted 8/14/2014 2:04:45 AM
astutecollie posted...
Times exclusive means the ps4 may or may not get it a year or so later. What did it accomplish? MS got a sequel to an excellent and popular last gen game. MS has far more money than sony and nintendo combined multiplied many times over.

And yet PS4 has twice the sales of Xbox One.
#56billsfanno1Posted 8/14/2014 2:12:44 AM
StrongBlackVine posted...
astutecollie posted...
Times exclusive means the ps4 may or may not get it a year or so later. What did it accomplish? MS got a sequel to an excellent and popular last gen game. MS has far more money than sony and nintendo combined multiplied many times over.

Then why so upset over a single exclusive? It's like MS said "boo", all the ponies wet themselves and that 10 million number clearly wasn't a good enough diaper.
#57IzraeilPosted 8/14/2014 2:15:32 AM
prozac786 posted...
dueric posted...
Frankly, I don't get it either. Why Tomb Raider? Even if it were a straight exclusive. Why?

Even multiplat, TR wouldn't be anywhere near the top of the charts around the holidays. What is MS going for here?

I'm not gunna lie, as an Xbox fan, this whole TR thing is a disaster.

I think Tomb Raider has the potential to do what Uncharted and The Last of Us did for Sony.

Maybe MS felt the same way too? Who knows.

I don't see why they'd think that. Uncharted and the last of Us are among last generation's top ten most critically acclaimed IPs. Tomb raider is not even in the top 100.
#58SoulTrapperPosted 8/14/2014 2:17:25 AM(edited)
billsfanno1 posted...
StrongBlackVine posted...
astutecollie posted...

Then why so upset over a single exclusive? It's like MS said "boo", all the ponies wet themselves and that 10 million number clearly wasn't a good enough diaper.

From what I've seen, most people were upset because, instead of creating a new IP of their own, Microsoft simply "stole" a multiplat game which only recently had a successful reboot in large part due to those Playstation fans (the game sold more on Sony consoles).

People weren't upset because MS got a new exclusive, they were upset because they felt stabbed in the back by the developer.
#59Juzten76Posted 8/14/2014 2:21:23 AM
billsfanno1 posted...
It demonstrated for the umpteenth time what a fickle, fragile and moronic crowd Sony fanboys are.

Yes. That meltdown was crazy.
---
"demoes are dumb anyway. just buy the game. solves that." - The Village Idiot
#60golden85354Posted 8/14/2014 2:23:25 AM
Raddy8 posted...
Just shows people take games too seriously as usual. I mean I loved the last tomb raider and can't wait for Rise, but if tables were turned and Sony had it as any form of exclusive, would I hate them or SE? Not at all.

There are other games to play, and more important things to worry about. If I cared that much about exclusives and dlc, be it timed or permanent, I'd bother to own every console.

but the xbots would of been flaming as well.. I don't know how badly, but bad. this was a dumb decision all around. if you were gonna make it a timed exclusive, it should of been with the bigger install base, and more powerful system. but it should of been multiplat to begin with