DirectX 12 cuts power consumption in half and boosts FPS by 50%

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. DirectX 12 cuts power consumption in half and boosts FPS by 50%
1 year ago#11
Why doesn't Microsoft use Mantle instead of DX12 for the Xbox One?
---
---
Dell XPS 8300(X8300-7008NBK), Intel i7-2600K 3.4GHz, Intel H67 Mobo, Sapphire R9 270X 4GB, Rosewill 550W PSU, 8GB 1333mhz RAM, 2TB HDD, Win7 64bit Home Premium.
1 year ago#12
While the performance boost will be nice (especially on systems like the demoed Surface 3, where the extra framerate and reduction in power consumption will be needed most), they're being pretty darn selective about the type of demonstrations for it. This is pretty much a best-case scenario, with an absolutely massive number of objects and draw calls in the scene which would entail significantly more overhead than a typical game scene would (I'm especially curious as to how this will affect higher level game operations like AI or physics processing, if at all). This also seems to be primarily benefit CPU utilization, so aside from being able to run the GPU at higher clocks in an SoC as the article states, it doesn't seem like it's going to help as much with things that are GPU limited.

Also, going by Mantle benchmarks, reducing overhead in such a way will, ironically, mainly benefit scenes with already high framerates. Since the reduction per frame would often be static, cutting 5ms of rendering time for each frame at 15FPS for example would make almost no difference (barely increasing it by more than 1FPS), while reducing the same amount of frame rendering time at 100FPS would be extremely noticeable (increasing framerates by a full 100%). Although DX12 does go one step further than Mantle and actually reduce CPU overhead instead of just GPU overhead.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
1 year ago#13
Lol
Please don't tell me you actually think this will as big as they say, maybe a 10%~15% boost (probably actually less) if that in real world performance if we are lucky. It's just PR bullsh**t as usual.

I would take CD Projekt REDs word over this, as they are a long time well respected PC dev that works with Direct X.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-1080p-obstacle-not-solved-by-directx-12-w/1100-6421478/
1 year ago#14
Solis posted...
While the performance boost will be nice (especially on systems like the demoed Surface 3, where the extra framerate and reduction in power consumption will be needed most), they're being pretty darn selective about the type of demonstrations for it. This is pretty much a best-case scenario, with an absolutely massive number of objects and draw calls in the scene which would entail significantly more overhead than a typical game scene would (I'm especially curious as to how this will affect higher level game operations like AI or physics processing, if at all). This also seems to be primarily benefit CPU utilization, so aside from being able to run the GPU at higher clocks in an SoC as the article states, it doesn't seem like it's going to help as much with things that are GPU limited.

Also, going by Mantle benchmarks, reducing overhead in such a way will, ironically, mainly benefit scenes with already high framerates. Since the reduction per frame would often be static, cutting 5ms of rendering time for each frame at 15FPS for example would make almost no difference (barely increasing it by more than 1FPS), while reducing the same amount of frame rendering time at 100FPS would be extremely noticeable (increasing framerates by a full 100%). Although DX12 does go one step further than Mantle and actually reduce CPU overhead instead of just GPU overhead.

yeah because usually they show test flights for new aircraft by driving them down the highway.
---
12 August 2014 known as the day of SALT on pony island
GT je suisLe juif () Controller/online/games>>resolution
1 year ago#15
leelee3105 posted...
Solis posted...

yeah because usually they show test flights for new aircraft by driving them down the highway.

Well they certainly don't show them in a wind tunnel, which would be as synthetic as this demonstration.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
1 year ago#16
Sent this to a friend of mine that works with Epic Games and he tells me they have heard nothing but good things from tech department (on DX12), and that it's probably true. If you doubt me go ahead and screen cap this, been here since 2006 and will be coming for my gaming needs for much longer. Just a dude on a forum, but I will tell you this: the next Unreal Tournament will have a mode where you can kill a crazy amount of enemies, so much that they are implementing upwards to a 250 kill streak.
---
http://www.northernsun.com/images/thumb/2214.jpg
1 year ago#17
And yet the Xbox One version of Golf Club will run at 720p/30fps lol.

http://www.gamepur.com/news/15829-golf-club-runs-1080p-ps4-and-720p-xbox-one-couldnt-get-fps-we-wanted-higher.html
---
http://www.youtube.com/RealArchaic
1 year ago#18
Talk2DaHand posted...
Sent this to a friend of mine that works with Epic Games and he tells me they have heard nothing but good things from tech department (on DX12), and that it's probably true. If you doubt me go ahead and screen cap this, been here since 2006 and will be coming for my gaming needs for much longer. Just a dude on a forum, but I will tell you this: the next Unreal Tournament will have a mode where you can kill a crazy amount of enemies, so much that they are implementing upwards to a 250 kill streak.

that sounds awesome!! both of those things!!
---
12 August 2014 known as the day of SALT on pony island
GT je suisLe juif () Controller/online/games>>resolution
1 year ago#19
So a large performance increase in high drawcall situations (expected), and they are both not at the same time if I'm reading this correctly.

"When rendering exactly the same content, DirectX 12's power consumption was impressively over 50% less than its predecessor"

Same content (i.e. at the same fps) lower power. Why? I'd guess better CPU utilisation (all cores + lower reduced boost because of it) v little core utilisation, higher clock speeds increasing power perhaps.

"Intel demonstrated this through unlocking the frame rate in their demo to show a 50% increase in FPS (frames per second) using DirectX 12 - despite not drawing any extra power. "

Unlock the framerate, use the same amount of power. In fact the pic even shows this:

http://www.developer-tech.com/media/new_2.jpg

Same power consumption, just the CPU uses less power and the GPU uses more to compensate (*i.e. a 3W decrease CPU side means a 3W increase GPU side), thus increasing FPS (red increase = GPU power consumption increase).

*power consumption numbers made up
---
Post of the ****ing year. - crimsyn_76 Best. Example. Ever. - Veliconis
Epic. - Xade76 Want to run that by us in English instead of Derp, champ? - pies12
1 year ago#20
Tenzhi posted...
Interesting. But I won't get excited about it until I am impressed firsthand by a performance increase.

---
Microsoft Xbox One quote from May 2013 "We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics. We targeted it more as a broad entertainment player."
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. DirectX 12 cuts power consumption in half and boosts FPS by 50%

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived