Let's remember that the PS2 had the weakest hardware of its generation...

#51Robin_MaskPosted 8/20/2014 10:44:36 AM
scoobydoobydont posted...
DynaEmu posted...
Weaker than the Gamecube? I don't believe it. I'll have to look into this.

Yes. Power was Xbox>GC>>>>PS2>DC

Can anyone bring up hardware differences from that generation.

I remember EVERYONE saying back then that GC was the weakest and Xbox was the strongest.
---
KI: Fulgore/Orchid, USFIV: Bison/Evil Ryu/Makoto
#52phineasfoolPosted 8/20/2014 11:02:21 AM(edited)
schmarkenheimer posted...
snakes_codec posted...
jairusmonillas posted...
People are forgetting you can play PS1 games on PS2, PS1 games like FF7,8,9,Resident Evil1-3,MGS1,Suikoden,GTA,Driver,BreathofFire3-4, and alot more. PS2 was godlike with PS1 library.

Plus the DVD player damn what a system it was :)

And it was cheaper and released earlier v MS's more expensive, unknown platform with less support.

The PS2 and original Xbox bother released at $300. However the Xbox had a built in hard drive so you didn't have to buy memory cards at $20-$30 a piece. You did need to buy the remote and dangle to watch DVDs, but that was optional.

As for the DVD player, I had one in my PC almost two years before the PS2 launched and bought a Sony stand alone player about 1.5 years before it launched for about $250. Having a DVD player in the PS2 wasn't that big of a deal.
---
GT - phineasfool
#53phineasfoolPosted 8/20/2014 10:58:44 AM
Robin_Mask posted...
DynaEmu posted...

I remember EVERYONE saying back then that GC was the weakest and Xbox was the strongest.

The Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2. It was the discs that were the problem with those minis that only held 1.8GB.
---
GT - phineasfool
#54scoobydoobydontPosted 8/20/2014 11:01:38 AM
Robin_Mask posted...
DynaEmu posted...

The issue with GC, and some not so bright people conflated this issue with "power", was the fact that the mini-DVDs had less space. And... it looking like a lunchbox was no help I'm sure. But still... yeah, GC was more powerful. I can't like, give you details about why, that's not my thing, but I'm certain of it. GC did sell the worst though (of the three, not sure how it compared to DC).
---
http://i.imgur.com/8LUhEFG.jpg
#55RyzekiPosted 8/20/2014 11:04:25 AM
PS2 was also shaped as two rectangles, GC as a cube and Xbox like a big rectangle with rounded edges.

PS2 was black with red led and blue leds. GC came in so many colors, Xbox was black and green.

Ps2 had two symmetrical joysticks compared to the competition.

Ps2 was the second cheapest.

PS2 had high failure rate compared to the others.

PS2 came before the others.

There are many characteristics of PS2 that made it successful. Being the weaker console was not one of them.
---
Core i7 4700MQ | | 16GB DDR3L || 128GB SSD + 1TB || GTX780M OC
#56RyzekiPosted 8/20/2014 11:06:18 AM
Robin_Mask posted...
DynaEmu posted...

The issue with GC, and some not so bright people conflated this issue with "power", was the fact that the mini-DVDs had less space. And... it looking like a lunchbox was no help I'm sure. But still... yeah, GC was more powerful. I can't like, give you details about why, that's not my thing, but I'm certain of it. GC did sell the worst though (of the three, not sure how it compared to DC).

GC was more powerful because it had a more powerful processor, a more powerful GPU that infact had hardware capabilities such as hardware transform and lightining, as well as more memory.

All in all, more powerful. PS2 had comparable raw performance only in triangles per sec, but it couldn't match triangles per sec with effects, textures etc etc. IT was plain weaker than the competition.
---
Core i7 4700MQ | | 16GB DDR3L || 128GB SSD + 1TB || GTX780M OC
#57Robin_MaskPosted 8/20/2014 11:07:40 AM
phineasfool posted...
The Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2. It was the discs that were the problem with those minis that only held 1.8GB.

Wow, I never knew the space for GC games was that bad. I know it held less, but damn.

At least it's good to know that the GC wasn't the weakest, then again, Metroid Prime was a very impressive game at the time. I'm surprised it even looked that good.

I do remember hearing a lot that GC sold the worst.
---
#58Robin_MaskPosted 8/20/2014 11:08:55 AM
Ryzeki posted...
GC was more powerful because it had a more powerful processor, a more powerful GPU that infact had hardware capabilities such as hardware transform and lightining, as well as more memory.

All in all, more powerful. PS2 had comparable raw performance only in triangles per sec, but it couldn't match triangles per sec with effects, textures etc etc. IT was plain weaker than the competition.

That settles the detail, thanks a lot for this, Ryzeki!
---
#59duericPosted 8/20/2014 11:13:12 AM
Steve Jobs went on record saying the Amazon Kindle would fail because nobody reads anymore.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member