First Year are not Indicative of how a generation will end up

#1destiny1990Posted 8/17/2014 10:48:42 AM
The Wii had almost 50% market share in its earlier year. At the end of the 7th gen, it ended up with 37% market share.

Many things change throughout a gen. Momentum goes up and down and shifts to competitor's as they make decisions in the market.

The point is, yes, PS4 is very successful right now. But a lot can happen over a generation. It is not safe to assume PS4 lead and market share will increase or even maintain over a period of 5-7 years.

Xbox One is basically having a rough first year. But, it can very easily gain momentum as past consoles have shown us and change the game.
#2ViTaLi7YPosted 8/17/2014 11:11:43 AM
But it won't. MS is not Sony or Nintendo. Sony and Nintendo can turn things around because of the amount they have invested in development studios for games. MS just buys them out, and they can only do that so much, before they start pissing off their investors. If MS developed their game studios, and didn't neglect them, they would be in a lot better position than they are now.
#3MrImpatient35Posted 8/17/2014 11:34:41 AM
I know this is a VERY unpopular opinion, but I still believe that in about 2-3 years from launch, the roles will be reversed, and X1 will be the more popular console. Of course I'm labelled an xbot for thinking that. If I'm right, expect a whole lot of s*** talking from me :)
---
HIIT or Tabata is necessary for me
#4freekid2002Posted 8/17/2014 11:45:25 AM
How will things change OP? Will the Xbox one all of a sudden be more powerful? Will Microsoft start assembling first party studios like Sony? Tell me exactly how you expect Xbox one to catch up.
#5MAZZIVEdamagePosted 8/17/2014 11:50:24 AM(edited)
Whatever helps you sleep at night
#6VeonVoidPosted 8/17/2014 11:50:24 AM
TC does have a point, I mean look at the PS3's first few years. They were bleeding money and selling the $600 PS3 at a loss and it wasn't until 4 years later that the PS3 began to turn a profit. By the end of the 7th generation, the PS3 had outsold the 360 worldwide.
#7MrImpatient35Posted 8/17/2014 11:53:50 AM
VeonVoid posted...
TC does have a point, I mean look at the PS3's first few years. They were bleeding money and selling the $600 PS3 at a loss and it wasn't until 4 years later that the PS3 began to turn a profit. By the end of the 7th generation, the PS3 had outsold the 360 worldwide.

I NEVER thought ps3 would turn around and make a profit, but I was wrong.
---
HIIT or Tabata is necessary for me
#8destiny1990(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2014 11:54:21 AM
freekid2002 posted...
How will things change OP? Will the Xbox one all of a sudden be more powerful? Will Microsoft start assembling first party studios like Sony? Tell me exactly how you expect Xbox one to catch up.

Blockbuster exclusive titles such as Halo MCC, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, halo 5, Gears of War 4, Crackdown, Fable Legends, Scalebound will certainly all help.

People act like Sony innovates and develops first parties when they are the same as Microsoft.

6th Killzone game in Killzone Shadowfall? Check.

3rd Infamous game? Check.

4th Uncharted Game? Check.

2nd last of us game? (last of us remastered) Check.

5th ratchet and clank game coming soon? check

7th GT game in the development? Check.

My point is, both companies focus on sequels because that is what sells. Dont act like Sony is some savior when they are clearly not.
#9MAZZIVEdamagePosted 8/17/2014 11:59:09 AM
VeonVoid posted...

That however doesn't really have anything to do with what he is stating.

PS3 failed, for Sony, because it was to expensive to produce. So even though it did sell, they still wasn't able to make profit. In terms of sales, Xbox 360 got a early lead by being on the market 16 months earlier worldwide. PS3 did however, as you say, catch up anyway (despite also being a lot, lot more expensive).

This generation Sony have thrown those mistakes out the window. PS4 and Xbox One launched at the same time, two franchises against each other, and we can now more clearly see which has the stronger brand. Also Sony is already making a profit on every PS4 console sold. If anything the past-generation is nothing to go by this time around. I would rather look at how the sixth gen turned out in terms of marketshare.
#10freekid2002Posted 8/17/2014 12:06:03 PM
destiny1990 posted...
freekid2002 posted...

Blockbuster exclusive titles such as Halo MCC, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, halo 5, Gears of War 4, Crackdown, Fable Legends, Scalebound will certainly all help.

People act like Sony innovates and develops first parties when they are the same as Microsoft.

6th Killzone game in Killzone Shadowfall? Check.

3rd Infamous game? Check.

4th Uncharted Game? Check.

2nd last of us game? (last of us remastered) Check.

5th ratchet and clank game coming soon? check

7th GT game in the development? Check.

My point is, both companies focus on sequels because that is what sells. Dont act like Sony is some savior when they are clearly not.

There is a major difference between Sony exclusives and Xbox exclusives. Sony exclusives are ACTUALLY good and not overhyped. The Last of us alone has won more awards than ALL the Halo games combined. Sony will do it better when it comes to exclusives, there is no doubt about it.