oh crap, fanboy! rumor: DX12 will upgrade X1 GPU to 900Mhz

#41Miiri0Posted 8/17/2014 8:39:48 PM
OpheliaAdenade posted...
You can't get blood out of a turnip. You can overclock that GPU all you like, it isn't going to turn it into a nicer GPU. :u That is how reality works. Unless DX12 has the ability to create a spatial distortion inside the X1 GPU that connects it to the wave existence on a higher plane that allows it to generate limitless power, it isn't going to do much.

The xbone isn't like KOS-MOS. There are no black box functions hidden in it. :v Just broken dreams.

Lies! Dx12 will allow xbone to download gddr5 ram and closing the power gap with ps4 to 37%. 925p here we come.
#42Bryant187Posted 8/17/2014 8:40:43 PM
Juzten76 posted...
As long as games are fun and continue to look amazing like they already do, I'll be happy.

The only good answer it seems imo.
---
Gamertag - ChaoticBryant
If you don't like the things I say or do, please don't blame me. Blame your parents for raising a pansy.
#43SolisPosted 8/17/2014 9:49:56 PM
N3xtG3nGam3r posted...
Ok, nobody responded to my post, so i will elaborate, and entertain the thought that this could be a possibility.

Heres a link to the topic where it was explained how the API can reduce power consumption and keep the same performance. In theory i guess that means since the power used is cut in half, and results in the same performance, that doubling the power back to 100%, would lead to a 50% increase in FPS. That isnt very realistic, and although it is ''theoretical'', ''in-practice'' is all that matters, and theoretical numbers rarely ever stand up to real-world performance.

http://www.developer-tech.com/news/2014/aug/13/directx-12-boosts-fps-50-and-cuts-power-consumption-half/

Now, assuming they are able to reduce power consumption by 50%, and keep performance the same, that would ''theoretically'' mean they could boost the clocks on the GPU, so that it performs within the same temperature threshold as before.

That's not how it works on closed-box systems like the Xbox One. They can't have the GPU's clocks dynamically change based on power draw. If the GPU is going to run at a higher clockrate, then they're going to have to limit (i.e. reduce) the maximum speed of the CPU to compensate, which means that you're not getting "more performance" out of the system, you're just trading performance from the CPU onto the GPU. Now of course, Microsoft could simply increase the clocks overall if they want to officially sanction it since they're the ones that set the component clocks through firmware, but that has absolutely nothing to do with DirectX 12 and nothing to do with what parts of the APU are being utilized.

This is no different from any other optimization. The only reason they quoted power reduction is to show a tangible improvement on a device they used to showcase it. It doesn't mean a game running on DirectX 12 is going to have lower power consumption (since having lower power consumption would simply mean that it isn't using the full processing power of the system, which is exactly what they did in that demo by limiting the framerate).
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#44a687947Posted 8/17/2014 9:56:26 PM
Solis posted...
N3xtG3nGam3r posted...
Ok, nobody responded to my post, so i will elaborate, and entertain the thought that this could be a possibility.

Heres a link to the topic where it was explained how the API can reduce power consumption and keep the same performance. In theory i guess that means since the power used is cut in half, and results in the same performance, that doubling the power back to 100%, would lead to a 50% increase in FPS. That isnt very realistic, and although it is ''theoretical'', ''in-practice'' is all that matters, and theoretical numbers rarely ever stand up to real-world performance.

http://www.developer-tech.com/news/2014/aug/13/directx-12-boosts-fps-50-and-cuts-power-consumption-half/

Now, assuming they are able to reduce power consumption by 50%, and keep performance the same, that would ''theoretically'' mean they could boost the clocks on the GPU, so that it performs within the same temperature threshold as before.

That's not how it works on closed-box systems like the Xbox One. They can't have the GPU's clocks dynamically change based on power draw. If the GPU is going to run at a higher clockrate, then they're going to have to limit (i.e. reduce) the maximum speed of the CPU to compensate, which means that you're not getting "more performance" out of the system, you're just trading performance from the CPU onto the GPU. Now of course, Microsoft could simply increase the clocks overall if they want to officially sanction it since they're the ones that set the component clocks through firmware, but that has absolutely nothing to do with DirectX 12 and nothing to do with what parts of the APU are being utilized.

This is no different from any other optimization. The only reason they quoted power reduction is to show a tangible improvement on a device they used to showcase it. It doesn't mean a game running on DirectX 12 is going to have lower power consumption (since having lower power consumption would simply mean that it isn't using the full processing power of the system, which is exactly what they did in that demo by limiting the framerate).

this person has no idea what he is talking about
#45SolisPosted 8/17/2014 10:48:52 PM
a687947 posted...

Ironic response, since I remember having to correct misinformation you had stated in another thread. Try responding with something worthwhile next time, like facts.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#46a687947Posted 8/17/2014 10:54:11 PM
Solis posted...
a687947 posted...

Ironic response, since I remember having to correct misinformation you had stated in another thread. Try responding with something worthwhile next time, like facts.

I don't believe you ever did that. You responded with what you believed to be correct based off of nothing except your own speculation about Directx 12, which you know next to nothing about as you aren't a Microsoft employee or a game developer with access to Directx 12. You seriously think that the Xbox one can't increase or decrease clock speeds based on load? It doesn't run all out all of the time, same with the PS4, they both have dynamic clocks, being a closed system has absolutely no effect on that at all.
#47SolisPosted 8/17/2014 11:25:05 PM
a687947 posted...
I don't believe you ever did that. You responded with what you believed to be correct based off of nothing except your own speculation about Directx 12, which you know next to nothing about as you aren't a Microsoft employee or a game developer with access to Directx 12. You seriously think that the Xbox one can't increase or decrease clock speeds based on load? It doesn't run all out all of the time, same with the PS4, they both have dynamic clocks, being a closed system has absolutely no effect on that at all.

Sure, it could increase or decrease clockspeeds, but not in the middle of a game where the software is designed to get precise timings out of the hardware. They can't just expect games to handle the CPU and GPU spontaneously increasing and lowering in speed during play, especially when they would have to take into account not just the various states of CPU utilization by the game itself, but also by system-level operations which may increase and decrease based on background operations and future features added. That defeats the entire purpose of having standardized specifications to begin with, and that's why elements like CPU cores, GPU processing, and RAM are reserved separate from what's available to developers; so that there's a static platform that ensures the same performance across different consoles and configurations. Why do you think the 10% of GPU processing power for Kinect was actually reserved away from games entirely, instead of simply dynamically allowing the game to use whatever wasn't being used by Kinect at the time?
---
#48a687947Posted 8/17/2014 11:37:19 PM
Solis posted...
a687947 posted...

Sure, it could increase or decrease clockspeeds, but not in the middle of a game where the software is designed to get precise timings out of the hardware. They can't just expect games to handle the CPU and GPU spontaneously increasing and lowering in speed during play, especially when they would have to take into account not just the various states of CPU utilization by the game itself, but also by system-level operations which may increase and decrease based on background operations and future features added. That defeats the entire purpose of having standardized specifications to begin with, and that's why elements like CPU cores, GPU processing, and RAM are reserved separate from what's available to developers; so that there's a static platform that ensures the same performance across different consoles and configurations. Why do you think the 10% of GPU processing power for Kinect was actually reserved away from games entirely, instead of simply dynamically allowing the game to use whatever wasn't being used by Kinect at the time?

How do you know that they can't dynamically increase clock speeds up to the full amount that isn't reserved by the OS? It's more or less a PC and that is exactly how PCs work. When a game isn't demanding the full power of the CPU or GPU they don't supply it, this is no different on a closed system like the xbox or playstation. They couldn't access that 10% because it was permanently reserved by the OS. Having dynamic clocks does not defeat the purpose of having standardized hardware either, developers know exactly what resources they have available and can still take full advantage of that with dynamic clock speeds. Why do you think the fans speed up in both consoles during demanding sections in games but not when you're just looking at the floor in an empty room? This is because of the dynamic clocks in both consoles, if the APUs were running full speed all of the time in games then the fans would also be running full speed all of the time, yet they aren't.
#49Pixx0Posted 8/17/2014 11:57:38 PM
OpheliaAdenade posted...
You can't get blood out of a turnip. You can overclock that GPU all you like, it isn't going to turn it into a nicer GPU. :u That is how reality works. Unless DX12 has the ability to create a spatial distortion inside the X1 GPU that connects it to the wave existence on a higher plane that allows it to generate limitless power, it isn't going to do much.

The xbone isn't like KOS-MOS. There are no black box functions hidden in it. :v Just broken dreams.

this

lol at 50 mhz clock boost. As one said already, 925p resolution confirmed!
You have to give MS that. They're just terrible as console makers, but really good at making jokes.
---
You are ignoring XXX message(s) from users on this page. Manage your list here.
#50chedibang1994Posted 8/18/2014 12:02:07 AM
I just want to see what it's capabilities are other than that I'm good
---
Sony for the gamers!!!! More fun on xbox one!!!! Wii u!!!! The devil is a lie!!!! By Ricky Rosay