Why do MS have studios created for just one specify series?

#1DerekRossPosted 8/18/2014 5:07:42 AM
We are rarely getting many if any new IP because of it. Nintendo and Sony are so much more diverse when it comes to this.

343i - Only does Halo games

Black Tusk - Only does Gears games

Turn 10 - Only does Forza games

Lionhead - Only does Fable games

Only rare actually work on new IPs and not in a good way.
#2kennyynnooPosted 8/18/2014 5:12:04 AM
DerekRoss posted...
We are rarely getting many if any new IP because of it. Nintendo and Sony are so much more diverse when it comes to this.

Specialties I'm guessing. I would be pissed if turn 10 took time to make a non racer, I want them focused on forza and forza horizon games as a fan. One failure in this economy and they are ruined.
---
Own: Xbox one, 360, PS3, Wii
Richard is also known as Dick.
#3dnmtPosted 8/18/2014 5:13:05 AM
You say something about Halo, bruh? If you have a problem with Halo then you have a problem with ME, bruh. Check yo'self.
#4dnmtPosted 8/18/2014 5:17:25 AM(edited)
kennyynnoo posted...
DerekRoss posted...

Specialties I'm guessing. I would be pissed if turn 10 took time to make a non racer, I want them focused on forza and forza horizon games as a fan. One failure in this economy and they are ruined.

Can you imagine if Naughty Dog had stuck to making Crash Bandicoot games? Frickin' lol. Let these studios take a chance for once and do something different.
#5Crystyn_7BPosted 8/18/2014 5:21:15 AM
Lionhead also did Black and White among other things in the past and have confirmed to be working on a new IP.

Black Tusk had a new IP in the works before getting relegated to Gears of War but that doesn't necessarily mean they stopped all work on the new IP.
---
GT:Schreckstoff PSN: JudasInHell
Destiny Clan: Inquisition (http://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/Detail/164812)
#6kennyynnooPosted 8/18/2014 5:22:16 AM
dnmt posted...
kennyynnoo posted...
DerekRoss posted...

Can you imagine if Naughty Dog had stuck to making only Crash Bandicoot games? Frickin' lol. Let these studios take a chance for once and do something different.

I dislike naughty dog games so I wouldn't care. Besides you sometimes build a team of developers based on interests and skill sets. When ND made its switch video games were peeking somewhat, right now as you can see with remastered games developers are afraid to go outside there specialty.
---
Own: Xbox one, 360, PS3, Wii
Richard is also known as Dick.
#7MightyMunaPosted 8/18/2014 5:28:11 AM
Very good observation.

The thing is unlike Sony and Nintendo, MS has a propensity to only invest in blockbusters. Nevertheless, during the original Xbox era, MS invested in lots of unique games but they didn't really achieve success, so decided to go for the sure money makers.

This practice has produced some adverse results. Bungie left because they didn't want to be a Halo sweatshop. Same applies to Lionhead, Peter and his team left.

Hopefully, MS will begin to diversify their portfolio and own their IPs because as of now they run the risk of having sequel to exclusive show up on their competitor's platform.
They don't own Ryse, Dead Rising, Sunset Overdrive and Titanfall. There is a probability of these aforementioned games having their sequels on Sony and Nintendo platforms.