Which Console is best for FPS games?

#61jakethenoobPosted 8/20/2014 1:35:43 PM
PC
---
Game collection: http://postimage.org/gallery/1tqkmeku/
#62MrDragonzordPosted 8/20/2014 1:42:09 PM
destiny1990 posted...
everyone likes different things. people fail to understand that. you have your gaming preferences, that's cool but this topic was specifically discussing gaming consoles, not PC.

Also CoD and battlefield are my favorite gams of all times. I love those series. So while you are entitled to your opinion that they are generic shooters, in my opinion they are excellent games and I enjoy each new release.

Meh, those games really suck and are overrated to the highest degree. There's no logical way one can explain the series' supposed "quality". The only way people can really defend their game is by saying "It's realistic", which has nothing to do with gaming as all video games take place within a virtual world and thus is not real (meaning there's no point to realism if it's never going to actually BE real), or "It's accessible", which essentially mean it's very easy and requires no practice, a bad thing as it's catered to those who aren't really gamers in the true sense or are simply too lazy to really practice that much.

I've already ranted about COD on these forums, so I might as well give it a rest for now.
#63destiny1990(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2014 1:45:42 PM
MrDragonzord posted...
destiny1990 posted...
everyone likes different things. people fail to understand that. you have your gaming preferences, that's cool but this topic was specifically discussing gaming consoles, not PC.

Also CoD and battlefield are my favorite gams of all times. I love those series. So while you are entitled to your opinion that they are generic shooters, in my opinion they are excellent games and I enjoy each new release.

Meh, those games really suck and are overrated to the highest degree. There's no logical way one can explain the series' supposed "quality". The only way people can really defend their game is by saying "It's realistic", which has nothing to do with gaming as all video games take place within a virtual world and thus is not real (meaning there's no point to realism if it's never going to actually BE real), or "It's accessible", which essentially mean it's very easy and requires no practice, a bad thing as it's catered to those who aren't really gamers in the true sense or are simply too lazy to really practice that much.

I've already ranted about COD on these forums, so I might as well give it a rest for now.

Your wasting your time and energy.

CoD is the best selling game every year for the last coupe of years (GTA in 2013 an exception)

and Battlefield is not far behind. These games sell millions because they are the best games and the most fun.

I buy every call of duty every year because it is waht I enjoy. Your ranting about CoD even though you do not like it represents a sick obsession.

If someone truly did not like something or hated it, they would avoid talking about and not mention it. Try to think about that.
#64MrDragonzordPosted 8/20/2014 2:32:53 PM
destiny1990 posted...
MrDragonzord posted...
destiny1990 posted...

CoD is the best selling game every year for the last coupe of years (GTA in 2013 an exception)

and Battlefield is not far behind. These games sell millions because they are the best games and the most fun.

I buy every call of duty every year because it is waht I enjoy. Your ranting about CoD even though you do not like it represents a sick obsession.

If someone truly did not like something or hated it, they would avoid talking about and not mention it. Try to think about that.

Just because something is best selling doesn't mean it's the best, ever heard of the term "overrated"? The only reason COD sells so well is because of it being "realistic" and accessible", mainly due to the casual's poor judgement. Because they are casuals who have far lesser interest in the subject, and are not the hardcore nerds usually associated with the word "gamer", they are bound to like whatever is easy to play and/or whatever relates to the real world the most, even though real life and video games are practically polar opposites no matter how realistic the latter is (so it makes no real sense if you think about it). Does accessibility and realism define the quality of games, even though these traits are targeted towards casuals over hardcores? Of course not.

And those are pretty much the only two things that's notable within these franchises. Don't say customization or stealth, TF2 does customization way more balanced and COD's amount of stealth simply dominates over the amount of direct combat way too much in that game, to the point where 1v1s and 2v2s is essentially a game of "who sees who first wins" 90% of the time.
#65RS_YELARAKAPosted 8/20/2014 3:17:55 PM
Is this a serious question?
---
GT - YELARAKA (Member of RS Squad)
NNID - YELARAKA
#66destiny1990(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2014 3:19:49 PM
RS_YELARAKA posted...
Is this a serious question?

yes
#67RS_YELARAKAPosted 8/20/2014 3:24:28 PM
MrDragonzord posted...
destiny1990 posted...
MrDragonzord posted...
destiny1990 posted...

Just because something is best selling doesn't mean it's the best, ever heard of the term "overrated"? The only reason COD sells so well is because of it being "realistic" and accessible", mainly due to the casual's poor judgement. Because they are casuals who have far lesser interest in the subject, and are not the hardcore nerds usually associated with the word "gamer", they are bound to like whatever is easy to play and/or whatever relates to the real world the most, even though real life and video games are practically polar opposites no matter how realistic the latter is (so it makes no real sense if you think about it). Does accessibility and realism define the quality of games, even though these traits are targeted towards casuals over hardcores? Of course not.

And those are pretty much the only two things that's notable within these franchises. Don't say customization or stealth, TF2 does customization way more balanced and COD's amount of stealth simply dominates over the amount of direct combat way too much in that game, to the point where 1v1s and 2v2s is essentially a game of "who sees who first wins" 90% of the time.

In conclusion you dont like them so the 30+ million people who do are idiots, kids, obsessed with war, casuals, etc...

K, thanks for sharing your OPINION.

Im 30 and play for the competition and to game with my friends. I dont play casually very often, im not a kid, im not obsessed with war and living it out through a game. Neither are the 10 or so guys I play said games with.
---
NNID - YELARAKA
#68MrDragonzordPosted 8/20/2014 3:58:56 PM
@RS_YELARAKA

For the most part. The majority of COD's fanbase ARE casuals and children, like 85% at least. I wouldn't usually call them idiots but if we're talking about in just gaming knowledge, then maybe in that context. Gaming just to hang out with friends is casual, because you're playing for the socialization, not for the game itself. If you're gaming for competition, you should play something different, as there are far more skillful and competitive games out there. Personally my preference is Quake 3 Arena (with the CPMA modification), but there are other great examples as well.

And it's not really an opinion. If the franchise is targeting the casual fanbase way more than the hardcore fanbase, it isn't really that good of a game as hardcores have far greater passion and deeper interest in gaming than the casuals. It's just like if someone made a Sci-Fi series targeted to non Sci-Fi fans or a computer made for non computer lovers, it would suck because it would be made for people outside the fanbase of that particular genre or subject, rather than keeping the more strong-hearted fans in mind. That's an undisputed fact right there.
#69RS_YELARAKAPosted 8/20/2014 4:12:02 PM
Tell me more about your opinion...
---
NNID - YELARAKA
#70MrDragonzordPosted 8/20/2014 7:15:33 PM
RS_YELARAKA posted...
Tell me more about your opinion...

Or you mean my view on the fact?

Regardless, if you're a competitive gamer download Quake Live or buy Quake 3 Arena. For the latter there's this mod called CPMA, sadly it's kind of dead but you should definitely use it when hosting your own servers or LAN lobbies. Normal Quake 3 and Quske Live are still nearly as amazing on their own though without CPMA.

This game has a lot more going for it when compared to COD. The game has no reloading or sprint (the latter replaced my an extremely fast base movement speed probably 3.5x that of COD's sprint). It's all about outmaneuvering the opponent through strafing/dodging and controlling the map.

Each weapon falls within its own unique niche, and although there are only 7 or 8, they are all useful in their own ways and are balanced among the competition. The Plasma Gun rapidly fires large spherical plasma projectiles in a tight cone of fire that are useful for spamming into doorways into corridors but move slowly so they become easier to dodge at long range or in more open areas. The Lightning Gun emits a beam of constant electricity and it will bend around if you turn too much while firing, so to negate this effect you instead strafe to keep your aim on the enemy, matching your target's movements while he's try to sidestep in a randomized fashion. It is very weak but has high knockback, perfect for area denial. The precise, hitscan nature of the weapon is perfect for more open areas. The Rocket Launcher is the jack of all trades and typically you'll want to aim at the player's feet to hit them with splash damage, because although rockets are only 1sk on direct hit, they move very slow. For dodging rockets it's wise to move in a figure-8 style pattern because the rockets are usually heading toward your feet, making it much easier on you if you move in all directions. The Railgun's the sniper and has a very slow rate of fire, is perfect for hit and run style gameplay, and being powerful, accurate, and hitscan all at once, it's great against an enemy that's helpless flying in the air. You typically try to jump around or use cover to dodge rail shots. The Shotgun is the close quarters weapon that easy to hit with and hard to dodge, but deals piss poor damage at anything except point blank. The Grenade Launcher is very hard to hit with due to the detonation timer and bounciness, but it's great for covering your tracks during a retreat as you can bounce it around corners. Lastly, the Machinegun is your starting weapon and sidearm, only good for finishing off weakened enemies or for long range combat.

Power-ups and weapons spawn in static locations with non-random spawn times, making it all about memorization and multi tasking. The maps are designed with various not-so-obvious shortcuts (some require rocket jumps or plasma climbs, but some are just through normal jumping skill). There are these things called trickjumps (originally a bug in Q1 but is an intentional feature in Q3) which are physics exploits that require a lot of timing and reflex skill in exchange for faster speed. Look ul the terms "bunny hop", "strafe jump", "rocket jump", and "plasma climb" for more info. Awareness skill comes in knowing the map and it's hotspots, as well as hearing enemy footsteps or getting the hitmarker sound with a well timed rocket or grenade. Quake 3 lacks a variety of game modes, but CPMA and other mods make up for this shortcoming. Quake Live has a ton of game modes as well. CPMA adds features like even finer tuned weapon balance and a bit of extra air control.

Overall, Quake 3 is a lot more skillful than COD, a game that's essentially "pull the trigger first to win".