Why does it always feel like "Us vs Them" in this hobby?

#1IceHuskyPosted 8/18/2014 12:32:07 PM(edited)
I swear, everywhere I take in gaming information (e.g., news sites, youtube, message boards, etc) there is always some controversy going on in the gaming industry. It's either game company A wants more money from gamers regardless of the cries of gamers calling foul when something happens they don't agree with, or game company B shuts down fans who try and celebrate their games or ideas with creations of their own; on the flip side, gamers are discriminating from developers if a certain developer or game doesn't pander to them, as well as gamers won't buy a certain game based on the idea the developer doesn't give them a full gaming experience. Let's also not forget how gamers are constantly arguing and bullying each other in trying to insert their superiority over other gamers.

It just seems like instead of being part of an industry that celebrates the art and passion of the hobby and industry alike, all parties are just out for themselves that it always seems to results in a "us vs them" mentality. Very discouraging to be part of this hobby when gamers and developers cannot come together in a cohesive unit.

I've been gaming for over 30 years and I've never remember it being as bad as it has been since 2010'ish. Has it always been like this?
---
My Game Collection: http://vgcollect.com/icewolf
I miss you Dad: 1943 - 2004
#2redditon4chanPosted 8/18/2014 12:30:20 PM
Internet.
#3Sevi_neyPosted 8/18/2014 12:30:41 PM
It's only on gfaqs
---
Be careful when you fight monsters, lest you become one.
http://i.imgur.com/dew7OVr.jpg
#4redditon4chanPosted 8/18/2014 12:31:13 PM
Sevi_ney posted...
It's only on gfaqs

This guy has clearly never been on Youtube.
#5duericPosted 8/18/2014 12:31:38 PM
It only feels that way to people without jobs.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#6FalxXDPosted 8/18/2014 12:32:34 PM
It's human nature.

Gaming is kind of like religion and politics for people.
---
I was modded once for saying please understand, when I challenged it the mod said please understand.
#7regsantotomasPosted 8/18/2014 12:32:49 PM
I think that this behavior is exacerbated by anonymity combined with a forum where vitriol is likely to get more attention than actual dialog. You see this not only on forums and message boards but it is encouraged by "news" where every issue is always represented by at least two talking heads which often creates a false equivalence
---
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything - Mark Twain
#8LooksLikeRainPosted 8/18/2014 12:33:47 PM
If it feels that way, you're doing it wrong.

You should just enjoy your hobby.
---
GT: Frightbeard.
#9kingofjamaicaPosted 8/18/2014 12:34:14 PM
redditon4chan posted...
Sevi_ney posted...
It's only on gfaqs

This guy has clearly never been on Youtube.

Or worked as a programmer.
---
At some point, you're going to have to talk to a tree and do what it says. - Arbor Day Rule, Grand List of RPG Cliches.
#10IceHusky(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2014 12:34:18 PM
FalxXD posted...
It's human nature.

Gaming is kind of like religion and politics for people.

Ugh...it shouldn't be this way. Gaming shouldn't have sides, like religion and politics. It should be celebrated by all who are interested in it.
---
My Game Collection: http://vgcollect.com/icewolf
I miss you Dad: 1943 - 2004