Why does it always feel like "Us vs Them" in this hobby?

#31IceHusky(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2014 1:08:34 PM
regsantotomas posted...
I guess that I don't really see the relationship between gamers and developers/publishers as adversary - maybe I am in the minority here.

Gamers have a symbiotic relationship with game makers - they need us as much as we need them. While there certainly has been instances where poor decisions or bad messaging have occurred; I don't see this as coming from a point of malice.

Here is an example of a relationship where gamers and developers can go sour: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/08/18/konami-shuts-down-metal-gear-fan-remake-developers-release-trailer.aspx.

So instead of allowing a fan to celebrate Metal Gear games by remaking the original Metal Gear game, Konami decides to shut it down for fear of the developer making profit on an IP that doesn't belong to them; even though initially Konami gave the developer the go-ahead to develop this fan made Metal Gear remake. This is only but one example where publishers set an example of the "us vs them" mentality.
---
My Game Collection: http://vgcollect.com/icewolf
I miss you Dad: 1943 - 2004
#32duericPosted 8/18/2014 1:08:52 PM
IceHusky posted...
dueric posted...
IceHusky posted...
dueric posted...
IceHusky posted...
they are entirely focused on how to make more money and money only.

How old are you?

So instead of focusing on the entire post, you are just focusing on the money making part of my post? Companies are only good when they have the customers who will support them. As soon as companies start to lose the consumer focus, that's when they are in trouble; hence why EA, Activision and Ubisoft are currently the 3 most hated gaming companies in the industry. Also, to answer your question I am 39, not that that matters to the context of this thread. >_>

Because in the real world, one sentence of ignorance makes everything fall apart. Blame life.

Alls you did here was add a few more.

So basically you have nothing to contribute to this thread and are just looking to troll. Got it.

Of course. Because I'm the one who said the three largest publishers in the world lost their consumer focus.

Someone who knows their s*** might actually say they've perfected it. But hey, what's reality matter on the internet?
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#33lightfighterPosted 8/18/2014 1:10:51 PM
I'm with ya, TC. And you'd think gamers are more intelligent than to get caught up in petty wars.
#34IceHusky(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2014 1:11:19 PM
dueric posted...

Of course. Because I'm the one who said the three largest publishers in the world lost their consumer focus.

Someone who knows their s*** might actually say they've perfected it. But hey, what's reality matter on the internet?

So in your mind, perfection = hated company by the fanbase. Okay. :::thumbs up:::
---
My Game Collection: http://vgcollect.com/icewolf
I miss you Dad: 1943 - 2004
#35regsantotomasPosted 8/18/2014 1:17:40 PM
IceHusky:

Isn't that simply an example of a corporation making a poor decision regarding their IP not an example where they are purposefully trying to create an antagonistic relationship? Mistakes are made and bad decisions occur.

I'm not suggesting that fans should always be happy with publisher's decisions but my point is that it is also incorrect to view publishers as mustache twirling villains either out to stick it to gamers.

If you look at the example with what happened with Zen Studios; fans were able to speak up regarding their displeasure with tables not transferring to Xbox One. This resonated with Microsoft and they changed their policy.

At the end of the day, companies are looking for maximum profits while customers understandably want maximum value. It is a tug and pull but not a "vs" relationship from my point of view.
---
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything - Mark Twain
#36duericPosted 8/18/2014 1:18:15 PM
IceHusky posted...
dueric posted...

So in your mind, perfection = hated company by the fanbase. Okay. :::thumbs up:::

How can a fanbase hate what they're spending money on?
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#37BruceWayneJrPosted 8/18/2014 3:40:44 PM
Once you join a "group", almost any group, you are immediately considered to be in opposition of another group.

It's animal behavior, but maybe some day we'll get over it.
#38duericPosted 8/18/2014 3:41:54 PM
BruceWayneJr posted...
Once you join a "group", almost any group, you are immediately considered to be in opposition of another group.

It's animal behavior, but maybe some day we'll get over it.

You just made that up.
---
#39GoIrish80Posted 8/18/2014 3:44:39 PM
redditon4chan posted...
Internet.

Bingo.

The Internet, while an amazing, endless resource of information, is also a completely negative cesspool thanks to the infinite number of people who feel that it exists for them to be their personal outlet to act in ways that they would never dare act to someone's face.
#40duericPosted 8/18/2014 3:46:20 PM
GoIrish80 posted...
redditon4chan posted...
Internet.

Bingo.

The Internet, while an amazing, endless resource of information, is also a completely negative cesspool thanks to the infinite number of people who feel that it exists for them to be their personal outlet to act in ways that they would never dare act to someone's face.

That kinda goes both ways though.

How often do you psychoanalyze strangers in real life?
---