Why does it always feel like "Us vs Them" in this hobby?

#41holden4everPosted 8/18/2014 3:46:52 PM
dueric posted...
How can a fanbase hate what they're spending money on?

EA are hated and yet people still buy their games.
---
http://thebulldogs.com.au/media/logo_2010.png http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/holden4ever/ripqld.jpg
#42AnderjakPosted 8/18/2014 3:48:03 PM
simple psychology

people inherently desire some level of superiority with regard to not being wrong, because, well, being wrong sucks

so the brain sort of naturally tries to work itself around being wrong in order to validate you

when we exhaust the reasons why we're right (and for many it's a very short list because people are also, by nature, reactionary), we immediately move to why everyone else is wrong. because of this line of thinking, we assume we have to objectively be right, because jeez we don't wanna be dumb! we wanna be people of refined taste and class! so clearly buying x console or y game instead of the competition is a clear symbol of this fact, otherwise why even have the hobby in the first place?

much of this is merely based around the fact that we don't reason through our own behavior a lot of the time. we take it at face value because we're not really taught to question ourselves and our mannerisms, or how it affects the world around us, because while we're in our own brains we have to assume everything's running correctly because the alternative is that "something is wrong." stuff like putting others down for not liking the game you like is a really basic version of that.
---
An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.
#43Reflex-ArcPosted 8/18/2014 3:49:14 PM
"Haven't you heard it's a battle of words", the poster bearer cried.
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#44GoIrish80Posted 8/18/2014 3:49:52 PM
dueric posted...
GoIrish80 posted...
redditon4chan posted...
Internet.

Bingo.

The Internet, while an amazing, endless resource of information, is also a completely negative cesspool thanks to the infinite number of people who feel that it exists for them to be their personal outlet to act in ways that they would never dare act to someone's face.

That kinda goes both ways though.

How often do you psychoanalyze strangers in real life?

I don't need to psychoanalzye strangers in real life because if I make a statement in a public place that I enjoy X or Y game and someone overhears it, I don't have them running up to me and yelling "LOL THAT SUCkZ NOOB!" in my face, while acting out an animated gif that's insulting me.
#45duericPosted 8/18/2014 3:50:01 PM
holden4ever posted...
dueric posted...
How can a fanbase hate what they're spending money on?

EA are hated and yet people still buy their games.

Yeah. That's what I said.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#46duericPosted 8/18/2014 3:53:07 PM
GoIrish80 posted...

I don't need to psychoanalzye strangers in real life because if I make a statement in a public place that I enjoy X or Y game and someone overhears it, I don't have them running up to me and yelling "LOL THAT SUCkZ NOOB!" in my face, while acting out an animated gif that's insulting me.

You implied the internet as a whole is responsible because of the tendency for people to act out on their anonymity.

Well, everyone does that. No matter which side of the argument you're on.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#47GoIrish80Posted 8/18/2014 3:54:36 PM
dueric posted...
GoIrish80 posted...

You implied the internet as a whole is responsible because of the tendency for people to act out on their anonymity.

Well, everyone does that. No matter which side of the argument you're on.

Ok.
#48Cactuar512Posted 8/18/2014 3:57:30 PM
dueric posted...
BruceWayneJr posted...
Once you join a "group", almost any group, you are immediately considered to be in opposition of another group.

It's animal behavior, but maybe some day we'll get over it.

You just made that up.

No, he didn't. He's right. It's childish and moronic, but it happens.
---
Fallout 2>NV>1>3>Every other Fallout game. Don't agree? I don't care.
GameFAQs, where everyone trolls everyone
#49duericPosted 8/18/2014 4:00:37 PM
Cactuar512 posted...
dueric posted...
BruceWayneJr posted...
Once you join a "group", almost any group, you are immediately considered to be in opposition of another group.

It's animal behavior, but maybe some day we'll get over it.

You just made that up.

No, he didn't. He's right. It's childish and moronic, but it happens.

No he's not. It's wrong on so many levels that even the internet itself laughed at it.

The world does not run on prison politics, my man.
---
#50KaijinSurohmPosted 8/18/2014 4:12:27 PM
Behind a hidden mask of anonymous, people are allowed to reveal who they truly are online, without fear of judgment.

Sadly, there is a large number of ignorant, stupid, and downright vile people. May of these people are Doctors, Lawyers, Charity workers, goodwill helpers, fast food workers, clerks, jobless children, etc.

In the facets of life, the anonymous mask allows us to do and say whatever, and not care, because there is no punishment involved.
Amazing isn't it? The only (major) reason anyone acts like a decent human being, is because there will be a stiff hand involved.

Look at the League of Legends side of things, for example. Their vile was allowed to run free, and now that there is a new punishment system, the vile ones exploded in rage.

It's not that hard to act like a decent being. It's almost impossible to actually be one.
---
http://tinyurl.com/pk8hsuw - Logical fallacies
http://tinyurl.com/kmeeasu - The 10 commandments of Logic