Why does it always feel like "Us vs Them" in this hobby?

#81DEMONPANDA212Posted 8/18/2014 7:28:19 PM
Poeple fight about anything.

I wish I could remember who said it, but basically his quote was "look at the Muslims and the Irish, with no Blacks to hate, they decided to blow each other up"

And at face value it's a horrific statement that comes off as racist (towards Black people), but it's not about that, it's about how no matter how much in common people have, if they have no one "different" to hate on, they'll find a way to hate each other by splitting them into factions, which is true.

And usually that clincher is Religion.

Just be grateful fanboys aren't blowing each other up yet.
---
Proud PSWii60, XB14U, 3DS, Vita and P.C owner. And I love them all :D
#82BruceWayneJrPosted 8/18/2014 8:00:18 PM
dueric posted...
Cactuar512 posted...
dueric posted...
BruceWayneJr posted...
Once you join a "group", almost any group, you are immediately considered to be in opposition of another group.

It's animal behavior, but maybe some day we'll get over it.

You just made that up.

No, he didn't. He's right. It's childish and moronic, but it happens.

No he's not. It's wrong on so many levels that even the internet itself laughed at it.

The world does not run on prison politics, my man.

Even the internet laughed at it? I thought we were being serious.

I like your prison metaphor, though. It's pretty apt.

My point still stands. Most institutions encourage competition, and people fall in line because it strengthens their loyalty to that institution. All the petty reasons that people crave a group belonging are the same reasons why they clash with people outside of their group. Animals do it, and what is man but an animal?

Now call me a troll or something.
#83The_RaterPosted 8/18/2014 8:02:33 PM
That only drives sales from both parties even more from what their consumers expect from them.
#84duericPosted 8/18/2014 8:28:48 PM
BruceWayneJr posted...
dueric posted...
Cactuar512 posted...
dueric posted...
BruceWayneJr posted...
Once you join a "group", almost any group, you are immediately considered to be in opposition of another group.

It's animal behavior, but maybe some day we'll get over it.

You just made that up.

No, he didn't. He's right. It's childish and moronic, but it happens.

No he's not. It's wrong on so many levels that even the internet itself laughed at it.

The world does not run on prison politics, my man.

Even the internet laughed at it? I thought we were being serious.

I like your prison metaphor, though. It's pretty apt.

My point still stands. Most institutions encourage competition, and people fall in line because it strengthens their loyalty to that institution. All the petty reasons that people crave a group belonging are the same reasons why they clash with people outside of their group. Animals do it, and what is man but an animal?

Now call me a troll or something.

That was one helluva try. But smelling your own farts does not sense make.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#85TheBonfiniPosted 8/18/2014 8:46:09 PM
The most vocal people here actually spend more time here than gaming. So it's not an accurate representation of gamers as a whole.
---
Friendly advice taken.
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#86Stefan1277Posted 8/18/2014 9:29:58 PM(edited)
Gamers are known for being very close minded and extremely obsessive, and it only strengthens the human psychological tendency of having to belong to a group. It's natural for humans to try to belong and hate on everyone outside because they NEED to be in a group. Happens a lot when it comes to religions and sports, and, of course, gaming isn't an exception.

It is wrong and all we can do is try to avoid these things personally first and see if others follow.
---
Gamefaqs users in one article:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-behaviors-modern-world-only-making-worse/
#87plus1zeroPosted 8/18/2014 10:03:46 PM
Because most of the 12 year olds are only allowed one console right?
---
How do you know someone games on a PC? Don't worry, they'll tell you.
#88leelee3105Posted 8/18/2014 10:30:28 PM
its just the internet. ever been to a midnight release for a multiplat? ever heard any console war ish talking going down? of course not
---
12 August 2014 known as the day of SALT on pony island
GT je suisLe juif () Controller/online/games>>resolution
#89duericPosted 8/19/2014 1:34:39 AM
leelee3105 posted...
its just the internet. ever been to a midnight release for a multiplat? ever heard any console war ish talking going down? of course not

Nah, man. It can't possibly be as simple as the internet being the internet.

Console wars are universal and everyone abides by the split because of a deep rooted psychological issue inherent in all humans. We are but animals, you see.

Since animals group up by simple instinct for survival, that must then mean that all humans MUST group up as well. Our ability to reason is rendered useless when such opportunities present themselves, just like animals. Evolution does not apply.

When I bought my PS3 a couple years after my 360, I was obligated to text myself that I sucked so I could then technically be accepted by both sides and satisfy my primal urges to belong.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#90AwayFromHerePosted 8/19/2014 2:00:30 AM(edited)
Kids think this is a new thing.

Sorry, this dates back to the 70s.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.