Confused about xboxone tv

#1darkwind56Posted 8/18/2014 4:22:51 PM
I have expanded cable, its a digital signal not analog that comes from the wall through cable to the tv without box. Why is it not possible to plug the xbox into the tv with hdmi to the tv and control the tv that way, without having to plug the cable directly into the xbox. All it would be is pip with the hdmi input overlayed on the regular cable input. Is this just micorosoft wanting you to use a cable box or is it a remote issue since the controller dosent have ir it would need to control the tv through just hdmi, which im not sure is possible.
---
Diamond FC - 5154 9474 6380
#2CapwnDPosted 8/18/2014 4:28:47 PM
All that the Xbox does is pass HDMI from _______ to your TV. (fill in the blank)

Meaning, it could be from a Cable Box. Or a satellite TV box. Or from a Bluray player. Or from Roku. Or from your PC. Or from an Xbox 360 (though gaming on the 360 might have some input delay issues).

The Xbox isn't processing or controlling anything, it's just passing video and audio through.

I believe most TV providers use a box so it works fine for most people. The alternative is to have every xbox also have a coaxial input, which would also mean that it would have to have a TV tuner.
---
Death to the New Flesh, long live Videodrome!
#3kennyynnooPosted 8/18/2014 4:31:16 PM(edited)
Barely any tvs have PIP mode anymore, that's why. Btw I'm really lost, this is confusing to understand what you're asking.
---
Own: Xbox one, 360, PS3, Wii
Richard is also known as Dick.
#4darkwind56(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2014 4:40:42 PM
CapwnD posted...
All that the Xbox does is pass HDMI from _______ to your TV. (fill in the blank)

Meaning, it could be from a Cable Box. Or a satellite TV box. Or from a Bluray player. Or from Roku. Or from your PC. Or from an Xbox 360 (though gaming on the 360 might have some input delay issues).

The Xbox isn't processing or controlling anything, it's just passing video and audio through.

I believe most TV providers use a box so it works fine for most people. The alternative is to have every xbox also have a coaxial input, which would also mean that it would have to have a TV tuner.

If its not proccessing anything than how does it cunage channels using only the xbox controller?
---
#5Garage_ManPosted 8/18/2014 5:08:35 PM
darkwind56 posted...
CapwnD posted...

If its not proccessing anything than how does it cunage channels using only the xbox controller?

Acts like a remote...

Yea seems kinda pointless now doesn't it? Use a extra hundred watts for NO GAIN. I have read it actually messes with the input signal diminishing picture.
#6Laylow12Posted 8/18/2014 5:16:01 PM
Garage_Man posted...
darkwind56 posted...
CapwnD posted...

Acts like a remote...

Yea seems kinda pointless now doesn't it? Use a extra hundred watts for NO GAIN. I have read it actually messes with the input signal diminishing picture.

Correct. It degrades picture quality due to the data-mining function. Here is the issue on the official forums and people aren't happy with it.

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4277/t/1630532.aspx

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#7CapwnDPosted 8/18/2014 5:55:58 PM
^ I'm not sure how somebody can be as ridiculous as you on a daily basis.

Where are you getting Data mining?
---
#8CapwnDPosted 8/18/2014 5:59:41 PM
darkwind56 posted...

The kinect is an IR blaster, it sends the IR signal to change the channel. As long as the cable box is in the same room the IR is able to change the channel, even if it's not line-of-sight.

I actually use the Xbox to change the channel of my other TV, the one that is not being used by the Xbox One. I have nothing plugged into the Xbox One HDMI input. When I use the remote, it tries to go to the TV and it says "oops there's no HDMI connection" but I just back out and continue doing what I was doing. Meanwhile it changed the channel on my cable box where I'm watching TV on the other TV.
---
#9darkwind56(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2014 6:32:03 PM
CapwnD posted...
darkwind56 posted...

The kinect is an IR blaster, it sends the IR signal to change the channel. As long as the cable box is in the same room the IR is able to change the channel, even if it's not line-of-sight.

I actually use the Xbox to change the channel of my other TV, the one that is not being used by the Xbox One. I have nothing plugged into the Xbox One HDMI input. When I use the remote, it tries to go to the TV and it says "oops there's no HDMI connection" but I just back out and continue doing what I was doing. Meanwhile it changed the channel on my cable box where I'm watching TV on the other TV.

Maybe it does but from what i read kinect is optional so when your using the xbox remote it is only speaking to the xbox which somehow acts as a direct input remote control. If it can do that it should be able to easily change the input on the tv window to cable, which is just anothee remote function anyway and seems like it should work since it can already change channel. All the xbox is doing anyway is pip with the overlay and tv, two seperate inputs. Literally all it would need is an input/video function so it would work without a box.
---
#10darkwind56(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2014 6:36:44 PM
The thing is the reason i would like this function because it would give me a tv guide function onscreen, whereas if you have a box this is built in and its feauture reduntant since theres no dvr. It dosent seem like people with the box would even benifit except for saving one button press.
---