Question about wireless range extenders and if they might help my Xbox

#1weapon_d00d816Posted 8/18/2014 6:14:08 PM
Some backstory:

So recently, we got rid of cable and had to set up the modem and wireless router in the garage, which is a lot further away from my Xbox One than the den where it used to be. My Xbox One is also in the basement, so in addition to the longer distance away, there's concrete in the way of the signal.

I used to get 3-4 bars on my Xbox One, now I get a consistent 2. Downloads are painfully slow, it takes a few minutes for the Xbox to actually connect to Xbox Live after startup, and online multiplayer is quite literally impossible. In Battlefield 4, for example, every single server is at a maximum of 2 bars (out of 5), when I used to get a hefty amount of 5s with most of the rest being 4s.

Basically, I just need some more info on wireless range extenders, wireless bridges, wireless repeaters, etc. before I go out and buy one. Are there differences between them? Do they boost the signal to a point that it's just as fast as if the router was in that spot? How much should I spend?
---
SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG
#2mmarksterPosted 8/18/2014 6:25:10 PM
What Internet do you have that had to put your modern and router in the garage?

You could try using an 802.11n router if your router isn't already N.
---
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 1032 - 1243 - 4711 Name/NNID/XBLGT/PSNID: mmarkster
Kingdom Hearts with Nintendo Universe = win!
#3GriffPosted 8/18/2014 6:31:55 PM
At that range, very iffy, even with the best routers.
No way you could run an ethernet cable to the garage? From the window maybe?
#4weapon_d00d816(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2014 6:39:26 PM
Oddly enough, my laptop gets full bars to my router from the same room as my Xbox One.
---
SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG
#5staticxtreme5Posted 8/18/2014 6:42:24 PM
Power line adapters, my friend.

Your welcome.
#6weapon_d00d816(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2014 6:46:02 PM
staticxtreme5 posted...

Your welcome.

After reading up on that, nah. No thanks.
---
#7staticxtreme5Posted 8/18/2014 6:48:30 PM
Why not? They are far superior to wireless in situations where you can't get good signal. Seriously, if you plan to game at all and your going to use wireless extenders you may as well just not bother.
#8fallangePosted 8/18/2014 6:51:21 PM
weapon_d00d816 posted...
staticxtreme5 posted...

Your welcome.

After reading up on that, nah. No thanks.

I use one, and let me tell you, they work amazingly.
My internet speed is 150/150 and I get every single mb through the adapter.
I have no idea what you read, but it is a life saver.
---
have you heard the news?
the dogs are dead!
#9weapon_d00d816(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2014 6:58:09 PM(edited)
staticxtreme5 posted...
Why not? They are far superior to wireless in situations where you can't get good signal. Seriously, if you plan to game at all and your going to use wireless extenders you may as well just not bother.

I just don't like the idea of performance being based on the power consumption of the house.

I live in a pretty big house with lots of things using electricity. I just feel like there would be a ton of interference for something like that.
---
#10staticxtreme5Posted 8/18/2014 7:00:50 PM
Well, it's the best option and it's quite good. Read more about it and not just jump to the conclusion your at from researching it for 2 minutes. Buy a kit and try it, you can always return it if your not satisfied, right?