Why don't gaming companies remake games that really need it?

#11DepreceV2(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2014 1:28:47 PM
x1STP_KLOSRx posted...
DepreceV2 posted...
redditon4chan posted...
DepreceV2 posted...
casper316 posted...
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/783739-the-last-of-us-remastered

because that's why... people are dumb enough to buy that crap...

You would have to enlighten me on that one. I didn't even know The Last of Us was a remake...

Remake =/= remaster.

I didn't know the game existed before. What was it originally on?

PS3 towards the end of its life. This is why Naugjty Dog remade it and the large number of Xbox converts now get to experience it. One of the greatest games from a story stand point ever made deserved a remake.

What didn't deserve a remake was Tomb Raider and Sleeping Dogs. That's my opinion though and you should only take it as such. I played Last of Us on PS3 and enjoyed it even more in 60 FPS on PS4. I also can't wait for Halo MCC.

Oh. So it's more like GTAV converting over to the next gen. What's the big deal if people buy it then? Diablo did the same thing
---
It's amazing how every time you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot! ~Vegeta
#12kidwgmPosted 8/19/2014 1:43:17 PM
Because peoples definition of "games that really need it" are vastly different.
---
Currently Playing: Wolfenstien, Lego Marvel Super Heros, FTL iOS and Godus iOS.
(Owner: gaming PC, 360, PS3, 3DS, Wii, WiiU, Xbox One)
#13ComradeRyanPosted 8/19/2014 2:21:04 PM
I would like to see DICE remake Battlefield 1942 & Battlefield Vietnam for the Xbox One & PS4.
---
We must reverse Citizens United, Restore our Democracy, and Save the Republic. Join the Fight for Free and Fair Elections in America!
http://www.wolf-pac.com
#14DepreceV2(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2014 2:52:01 PM
kidwgm posted...
Because peoples definition of "games that really need it" are vastly different.

I guess it doesn't matter to me if some doesn't need it. I just won't buy the ones I'm not intrested in anyway
---
It's amazing how every time you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot! ~Vegeta
#15ILikesCheesePosted 8/19/2014 2:58:55 PM
DepreceV2 posted...
A game that would probably make it to the PS4 and X1 would be a Powerstone remake from the Dreamcast.

I've been hoping for this for close to 15 years. I was even hoping that Smash Brothers would take a different direction with the fourth installment and try the true 3D formula. But alas...

DepreceV2 posted...
Why in the world have they not remade Final Fantasy VII yet? They remake FF games all the time.

I've grown tired of hearing people ask for this for over 15 years. No, no, no, a thousand words and a thousand times no. THE most overrated of the FFs.
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#16DepreceV2(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2014 6:08:38 PM
DepreceV2 posted...
Why in the world have they not remade Final Fantasy VII yet? They remake FF games all the time.

ILikesCheese posted...

I've grown tired of hearing people ask for this for over 15 years. No, no, no, a thousand words and a thousand times no. THE most overrated of the FFs.

I understand your position but as a gamer that has never really played it before I would really enjoy the opportunity to play a classic I missed out on without purchasing an old system just to play a single old game
---
#17lunchbox2042Posted 8/19/2014 10:34:05 PM
Anything before ps2 would need to be redone entirely which would take more time and money. Remaking ps3/360 games is cheaper and people are buying them.
#18donttrysohardPosted 8/20/2014 12:14:17 AM
FaithInAll posted...
I would love to see a updated Powerstone for the xb1/ps4.

Underrated post....sadly a lot have prob never heard of the game
---
GT: DontTrySoHard
BEST.AD.EVER - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCvIw7DMHXc
#19EoinPosted 8/20/2014 1:36:34 AM
There are two major reasons.

Firstly, the games industry (in general) appears to have been following quite idiotic archival practices until relatively recently. There are widespread rumours that Sega have managed to lose the code for many of their Saturn games. We know Konami lost a lot of the code and assets for the Silent Hill games and this was partially responsible for the wretched state of the Silent Hill HD Collection. We know Square Enix managed to lose many of the original Kingdom Hearts assets, forcing them to re-create them from scratch for the HD remake. Similarly, the Killzone remake on PS3 was only possible because the original backups were found " in a shoebox in the cellar" of an IT staff member "without a list of contents of any kind".

There are enough anecdotes about this to make it clear that this kind of malpractice was widespread throughout the industry - that developers and publishers generally considered games to be once-off projects and weren't concerned with storing them properly, and that this was going on as recently as the PS2 generation, well after re-releases started to become common. Developers presumably now have better habits when it comes to retention of assets, and this is one major reason why many remakes are of recent games.

Secondly, the assets for older games are often too low in quality anyway. For games on PS3 and Xbox 360, and often even PS2 and Xbox, developers were working with much higher quality textures and models than actually appeared in the games. That means that when it comes to making a remake, they don't have much additional work to do - they can use the high-quality assets instead of the cut-down ones that were in the original games.

For older games, however, there often aren't any "high-quality" assets. The textures and models are as they appeared in the game. Remaking the game means creating very high quality versions of low quality originals, and this can take an enormous amount of work. (As a quick example, look at how long it took to make Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix).

In short, remaking a game from 5 years ago is probably easy. Remaking a game from 15 years ago is probably difficult. There'll be exceptions in both cases, but that will generally be true.
#20Shadowfxd2Posted 8/20/2014 1:41:36 AM
how about Blinx?