will disc install/load times ever match ps4?

#11AWarAmp84Posted 8/19/2014 12:43:08 PM
Anyone else NOT have very long download times on the XB1? I've never had to wait more than ten minutes to download a game. What do you guys all use? Dial up?
---
Not taking Gamefaqs seriously since 2004. Gamefaqs mods are a joke.
#12destiny1990(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2014 12:43:55 PM
dueric posted...
MrImpatient35 posted...
My question is, will people ever stop lying about load times, when I have experienced anything nearly as long as they say? My guess is no.

The topic is about install times. At least I think it is. Who complains abut load times anymore?

yeah, sorry about my title. i am talking about install times for physical discs.
#13duericPosted 8/19/2014 12:44:11 PM
AWarAmp84 posted...
Anyone else NOT have very long download times on the XB1? I've never had to wait more than ten minutes to download a game. What do you guys all use? Dial up?

You're not being honest.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#14destiny1990(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2014 12:45:25 PM
AWarAmp84 posted...

10 minutes? impressive.

i have fast internet, no dial up. i even tried wired connection, but it doesn't make much of a difference.

ghosts took 4 hours until it let me play while installing and another 5 hours to get the download to 100%
#15BushidoEffect3Posted 8/19/2014 12:46:33 PM
koolboy123 posted...
OpheliaAdenade posted...
No.

/topic

This is the unfortunate truth. and due to the nature of console not being upgradeable like PCs, you'll be stuck with it's performance ups and downs for the next 8+ years.
---
http://youtu.be/lyOHNjZ-2qM For each dysfunctional topic:
http://i.minus.com/iGG4wROUf7R06.gif, http://i.minus.com/i9j4npQh4HF2D.gif, http://ow.ly/AbxB4
#16duericPosted 8/19/2014 12:47:41 PM
BushidoEffect3 posted...
koolboy123 posted...
OpheliaAdenade posted...
No.

/topic

This is the unfortunate truth. and due to the nature of console not being upgradeable like PCs, you'll be stuck with it's performance ups and downs for the next 8+ years.

PS3 handled it well.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#17KSAnnihilationPosted 8/19/2014 12:50:19 PM
AWarAmp84 posted...

Are you joking?
Never in my life have i downloaded a 6-7gb game in less than 10 hours
---
Nintendo WILL reclaim its throne one day.
PSN/XBL:KSAnnihilation Wii U:TornUp 3DS:5215-0223-5085
#18duericPosted 8/19/2014 12:51:38 PM
KSAnnihilation posted...
AWarAmp84 posted...

Are you joking?
Never in my life have i downloaded a 6-7gb game in less than 10 hours

You are also not being honest.

So much dishonesty in this thread.
---
#19EoinPosted 8/19/2014 1:26:44 PM
Xbox One install times should be able to approach PS4 install times, if Microsoft really want this to happen.

The PS4 has a 6x Blu-ray drive.

I don't think we have ever been given specifications for the speed of the drive in the Xbox One. The original leaks said 6x, same as the PS4. It is possible that Microsoft ended up with a slower drive to save a little bit of money per console. That would mean a 5x drive (like the Wii U) or - at worst - a 4x drive. The worst case would make the Xbox One drive 66% of the speed of the PS4 drive, so installs should then take - at most - 150% of the install time on PS4.

The reason why Xbox One installs take a whole lot more than 150% of the time of a PS4 install is because of the clever way that PS4 games install, versus the stupid way that Xbox One games currently install.

It looks to me like Sony are getting developers to isolate ~1GB of the key information that the game needs to start and run, and then placing that sequentially on the disc, meaning that there's one continuous read operation to get that crucial "install" onto the hard drive. This is why the initial "install" (where you can't play the game) is about a minute long. From then on, the PS4 can play the game, but installs everything to the hard drive in the background, reading data from the hard drive if it's there already, and from the disc if not (while caching it to the hard drive).

The Xbox One just dumps the disc to the drive. There's nothing clever going on, just straight read/writes, with the potential speed bump of downloading updates for the game before it starts installing.

The good news is that there is nothing stopping Microsoft from swapping over to something like the method that Sony are using. If their drive is slower, than it might take a bit more time to do the initial copy - say, a little less than 2 minutes instead of 1 minute. That would still be a big improvement over the current install situation.

The bad news is that existing discs can't be made to install this way, leaving them stuck with their current installation times.
#20bob15xPosted 8/19/2014 1:28:53 PM
destiny1990 posted...
anyone with technical experience or knowledge on things like this?

is anything like this possible with software updates and/or system optimization?

the problem is this has nothing to do with load times or install times. This has to do when the game is available to be played.

My guess is if you take two games and all the content and patches to download, the games on both systems will finish installing fully at the same time. The ps4 is just a hell of a lot better when it comes to when you can actually play.