Why are Neogafs acting like Ubisoft mirroring EA Access is the death of gaming?

#11eastofeastside(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2014 2:48:37 PM
Horridhal posted...
eastofeastside posted...
Horridhal posted...
Because it very well might be if it becomes a successful practice.

Explain please. I don't get it?

If it becomes successful then gaming becomes a subscription based activity where publishers are able to force you into their service to be able to play a game you like.

Those same publishers would control the pricing and benefits of their service. Do you really trust publishers like EA to do the right thing with it?

Wouldn't service competition work in consumers price interests?

Can gaming as service not be viewed as the inevitable direction gaming distribution is going to evolve to rather than a threat to the old model?
#12HorridhalPosted 8/19/2014 2:49:59 PM
Crystyn_7B posted...
Horridhal posted...
squarex8264 posted...

These programs are still going to be offered alongside buying titles on disc.
So many people overreacting to change and new options...

There is no credible evidence proving that disc based games would remain if a system like this was adopted. For now they have to remain, but, should these services become the norm you would most likely see physical discs phased out.

Same with PS Now, just saying.

but why is MS blamed, for not refusing?

I don't defend PSNow as a service either, to be honest. The difference is, though, that PSNow is entirely games from previous generations, EA access isn't.

As for why MS is being blamed, I think it is because the service isn't theirs the way PSNow is Sony's, but that is just speculation.

As I said I don't consider either service a good idea, though.
---
I'm not the nicest person you'll meet.
Have a real point please.
#13regsantotomasPosted 8/19/2014 2:51:34 PM
This false prognostication has been happening for decades.

When people say "gaming will be ruined or killed" they often mean that it will no longer be what they want it to be.

Too bad.

Gaming like any industry evolves according to market demands and you can either be a part of that or left behind. Support the games and solutions you want - that is the best thing you can do to help steer gaming in the direction you prefer.
---
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything - Mark Twain
#14eastofeastside(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2014 2:53:05 PM
Could Lord Sony save us by reintroducing cartridges with PS5?
#15HorridhalPosted 8/19/2014 2:53:15 PM
eastofeastside posted...
Horridhal posted...
eastofeastside posted...
Horridhal posted...
Because it very well might be if it becomes a successful practice.

Explain please. I don't get it?

If it becomes successful then gaming becomes a subscription based activity where publishers are able to force you into their service to be able to play a game you like.

Those same publishers would control the pricing and benefits of their service. Do you really trust publishers like EA to do the right thing with it?

Wouldn't service competition work in consumers price interests?

Can gaming as service not be viewed as the inevitable direction gaming distribution is going to evolve to rather than a threat to the old model?

If it were one universal service where all the companies competed, sure. This isn't. If I want to play an EA game I would need an EA sub. If I wanted to play a Ubisoft game I would need an Ubi sub.

Also, gaming as a service is exactly what many would deem as the death of gaming. Myself included.
---
I'm not the nicest person you'll meet.
Have a real point please.
#16Laylow12Posted 8/19/2014 2:54:42 PM
Oh man. Here we go. EA led the DLC charge and "season pass" and now they've started this wonderful service. They will be nominated for the worst company in America again next year.

UbiSoft will reveal their "service" within a month or two.

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#17squarex8264Posted 8/19/2014 2:55:28 PM
Crystyn_7B posted...
Horridhal posted...
squarex8264 posted...

These programs are still going to be offered alongside buying titles on disc.
So many people overreacting to change and new options...

There is no credible evidence proving that disc based games would remain if a system like this was adopted. For now they have to remain, but, should these services become the norm you would most likely see physical discs phased out.

Same with PS Now, just saying.

but why is MS blamed, for not refusing?

Agreed. PSNow is pushing towards a service model just like EA Access. It doesn't mean that it will suddenly replace discs if it takes off though.

Netflix is extremely profitable, and there are other streaming services that have taken off as well such as Amazon Instant Video. However, there is still a market for Bluray and DVDs, even digital purchases. These all live alongside the service model because there are many customers that may prefer one option over the other. I personally do not care about owning any of my movie content, and I'm perfectly happy giving Netfix $8 a month to casually watch any TV show or movie that comes on their service.

Why can't gaming adopt and grow in the same way? Obviously if these digital gaming services take over and those companies eradicate discs and start implementing draconian pricing models, why don't you think some other developer will come in and offer purchased content if that's really what customers desire? That would be a massive loss for those publishers that didn't listen to their entire customer base, and Ubisoft/EA will not put their entire business into jeopardy in that way...
---
"You guys can sig that if you want." -TheArcade
#18scoobydoobydontPosted 8/19/2014 3:00:30 PM
eastofeastside posted...
scoobydoobydont posted...
Because SonyGAF is incapable of not blaming anything and everything on MS. It is a bad sign for AAA gaming though. Anyone without the IP catalogue to support an exclusive branded service will get squeezed out, and things weren't great for those guys in the first place.

It sounds more like you are saying it is a bad sign for medium tier publishers than AAA gaming?

In the short term, yes, but long term I don't think these services will see the same success as EA is looking at. EA has an early mover advantage, the consoles aren't crowded with these services, but when they are they will fail. Why is that bad for AAA? Because by the time this occurs, AAA will become even more bloated and depend on these services for revenue to sustain themselves, and when those services start failing en masse, it will be too late. AAA and midtier will both suffer, but as tools improve I actually think indies will start being a real replacement for midtier, whereas AAA will have cycles of shut down's and consolidation until that sector implodes. At least, console side.

Course... I could be way off base.
---
http://i.imgur.com/8LUhEFG.jpg
#19CRASS5000Posted 8/19/2014 3:01:43 PM
So, Sony and Microsoft will be the Time Warner and DirectTV of gaming?
#20Crystyn_7BPosted 8/19/2014 3:02:19 PM
Laylow12 posted...
Oh man. Here we go. EA led the DLC charge and "season pass" and now they've started this wonderful service. They will be nominated for the worst company in America again next year.

UbiSoft will reveal their "service" within a month or two.

I don't know exactly what you mean with "EA led", it was Rockstar with L.A Noire that started Season Passes and Bethesda with the Horse Armor DLC that started DLC (bad ones at that).

EA introduced online passes and others followed.
---
GT:Schreckstoff PSN: JudasInHell
Destiny Clan: Inquisition (http://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/Detail/164812)