Does Anyone Else Wish Microsoft Had Stuck with Their Original Plan?

#1SampsonMPosted 8/20/2014 6:33:53 AM
Am I the only one?

I buy all my games digitally. I always have Internet.

If Microsoft had released an all-digital box, maybe it could've offered something unique. Better Xbox Live sales, perhaps, or something else.

As it stands, I enjoy my Xbox One immensely, but it sort of has no identity. Just a less powerful PS4 with Halo.
---
An artist is a creature driven by demons. He dont know why they choose him and hes usually too busy to wonder why.
#2adonfrazPosted 8/20/2014 6:42:58 AM
Nope, you are the only one in this case.

/nosarcasm
---
XBL GT: Loyal Catalyst
#3Jptremblay13Posted 8/20/2014 6:43:09 AM
You really think that an all digital games console will sell more than a console with digital and physical games?
#4RockguyKevPosted 8/20/2014 6:44:58 AM
They never had an all digital plan. They had a better digital plan that yes, I wish they'd stuck with.
#5mrpicPosted 8/20/2014 6:45:56 AM
i do

game sales galore

no preorders

faster releases
#6AWarAmp84Posted 8/20/2014 6:48:36 AM
Jptremblay13 posted...
You really think that an all digital games console will sell more than a console with digital and physical games?

---
Not taking Gamefaqs seriously since 2004. Gamefaqs mods are a joke.
#7DavieSnakesPosted 8/20/2014 7:15:11 AM
For me personally I preferred their original plan and wished they had stuck with it. I always have internet, always have kinect plugged in, almost never trade in games, hate having to put the disc in for games I bought physical etc.

However it was a terrible idea for the simple reason that there is a huge portion of gamers worldwide who the above statements dont apply to. Brilliant in concept, but it was never going to be accepted by the majority, maybe 25 years+ from now if the world has free highspeed wifi and physical formats are dying out, but trying to force this now? Major misstep and for me probably a big factor in the sales lagging behind, it was initially hated so they changed it but I'd bet theres a lot of casual players out there who heard the initial plans and were turned off that didnt even hear the fact it was changed, and those who did hear about the changes cry 180 and lack of identity. (and rightfully so!)

I'm more than happy with my purchase but would like to see some or all of the drm stuff implemented in an opt in only basis, would have been a better idea from the start!
---
"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)
#8SampsonM(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2014 7:20:12 AM
maybe 25 years+ from now

I'm pretty confident that the next generation will be all digital/digital only. Sony is on record saying they might not even release a true PS5 and instead go completely streaming, "Games-as-a-service" model.

Classically, Microsoft's role in the industry has been to push it forward -- the original Xbox was unprecedented in its online capabilities and PC-like architecture. The 360 pushed it to the next level.

What's so revolutionary about the One? Nothing. Sure, an all digital box might've struggled to sell, but the Xbox is already being outsold 2-to-1 and I don't think that's going to change anytime soon. Might actually get worse as time goes on (and people buy the console their friends have).
---
An artist is a creature driven by demons. He dont know why they choose him and hes usually too busy to wonder why.
#9GladiatorDangerPosted 8/20/2014 7:24:21 AM
What was their original plan again?
---
"Behold, I shall corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces" Malachi 2:3, The Bible
#10DionysusPosted 8/20/2014 7:27:53 AM
Their original plan was stupid. It's better to show consumers why digital distribution is better with lower prices and better policies and then phase out physical copies as more people choose to go digital. MS can't do that with a unilateral mandate.