Ubisoft won't attempt an unlimited gaming service until EA proves it can work

#11Bikes-Posted 8/20/2014 8:50:02 AM
nableet posted...
grampamurked posted...
I don't like where this is headed. I don't want to pay a fee to play games I would rather own.

Then don't :-S

As long as the games are available as they are now then you can carry on like that, as I will.

Just as long as they don't try and worsen the experience for non-subscribers to give the subscribers a better deal. Add content for sure, don't deny content that would have otherwise been available though.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/madden-nfl-15-not-getting-a-demo-only-xbox-one-own/1100-6421645/

It's only a matter of time until exclusive dlc for games, and the like for subscribers. And I have no doubt that unless it bombs Ubisoft will jump on board as well.
---
FC: 2921-9087-2265
#12Jiggy101011Posted 8/20/2014 8:59:50 AM
grampamurked posted...
I don't like where this is headed. I don't want to pay a fee to play games I would rather own.

Do you hate Gamefly and Redbox too? What about Netflix? Do you hate paying a monthly subscription fee to watch movies and TV shows that you don't own?
---
Gamertag: F1RE v2 PSN ID: F1REx
Currently Playing: Gears of War 3, Titanfall, Halo 4
#13spacejamjordanzPosted 8/20/2014 9:12:30 AM
Jiggy101011 posted...
grampamurked posted...

Do you hate Gamefly and Redbox too? What about Netflix? Do you hate paying a monthly subscription fee to watch movies and TV shows that you don't own?

Neither Gamefly, Redbox, or Netflix's content is limited to one publisher.
---
"You know you've spotted a fanboy when they simply can not concede that anything is worthwhile on the other console"~ Evel138
#14IHATEMYGTPosted 8/20/2014 9:21:34 AM
Sounds great. Cabt wait to have the choice between individual games vs value driven online packages. Hopefully every developer will give me a choice in how I buy my games in thw future.
---
Make the internet the place YOU want it to be :)
#15staticxtreme5Posted 8/20/2014 9:28:06 AM
The only thing I see that has me worried is i just don't think EA has enough games to keep a steady stream of content coming into the vault. I could forsee subbing for a month then letting it lapse for a few months then resubbing. We will see though.
#16Exodus_Prime(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2014 9:34:30 AM
staticxtreme5 posted...
The only thing I see that has me worried is i just don't think EA has enough games to keep a steady stream of content coming into the vault. I could forsee subbing for a month then letting it lapse for a few months then resubbing. We will see though.

I would also like to see how often they will add games.

---
---
Bungie's "Destiny" Has Reached A New Level Of Gaming
(Only On Multi Consoles)
#17SigmaLongshotPosted 8/20/2014 9:49:57 AM
Subscription-based services are really the future of media consumption.

Instead of buying physical CDs, people now, by majority, buy music digitally or purchase a media streaming program.

Instead of buying physical BluRays, people are now choosing to purchase video streaming subscriptions.

With the bandwidth available, there's no reason why a streaming gaming service can't follow suit of the rest of the media sector.

I mean, legitimately, people are changing very quickly. The rate of consumption of media is so incredibly quick now - when I was a kid you'd save up for a VHS/Betamax (and yes, I've always been a multi-"console" owner ;D ), then watch it over and over again. Now, I can hardly finish a single episode of a show on Netflix without switching out or bringing up a second internet panel to trawl through superfluous nonsense.

We just consume things at such an astounding rate that the sense of ownership of everything we have is diminishing - which is why a rental subscription is logically a sane and sensible step for the industry.

---
XB1/XB360/Wii U: TotoMimo
Old PS3/PSVita: SigmaLongshot (Stay tuned for PS4 tag!)
#18regsantotomasPosted 8/20/2014 10:08:47 AM
I suppose that depends on how you would measure success. I think that if adoption rate is high enough in a short time frame, UBISoft and others will likely move quickly to offer similar solutions faster than some may think.
---
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything - Mark Twain
#19EnclavePosted 8/20/2014 10:54:04 AM
SigmaLongshot posted...

Instead of buying physical CDs, people now, by majority, buy music digitally or purchase a media streaming program.

Instead of buying physical BluRays, people are now choosing to purchase video streaming subscriptions.

With the bandwidth available, there's no reason why a streaming gaming service can't follow suit of the rest of the media sector.

I mean, legitimately, people are changing very quickly. The rate of consumption of media is so incredibly quick now - when I was a kid you'd save up for a VHS/Betamax (and yes, I've always been a multi-"console" owner ;D ), then watch it over and over again. Now, I can hardly finish a single episode of a show on Netflix without switching out or bringing up a second internet panel to trawl through superfluous nonsense.

We just consume things at such an astounding rate that the sense of ownership of everything we have is diminishing - which is why a rental subscription is logically a sane and sensible step for the industry.

It's only the future if we let it be the future.

I personally don't relish the thought of a future where I don't own my games. I also don't relish the future where once a company decides that a game is no longer profitable enough to justify the bandwidth costs that they will just remove it altogether.

I still bust out my NES occasionally and it horrifies me that there may come a day where I won't be able to bust out an old console of mine to play games on because some publisher wanted to push me towards a newer product instead of still enjoying an older one.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#20staticxtreme5Posted 8/20/2014 11:06:21 AM
Enclave posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...

It's only the future if we let it be the future.

I personally don't relish the thought of a future where I don't own my games. I also don't relish the future where once a company decides that a game is no longer profitable enough to justify the bandwidth costs that they will just remove it altogether.

I still bust out my NES occasionally and it horrifies me that there may come a day where I won't be able to bust out an old console of mine to play games on because some publisher wanted to push me towards a newer product instead of still enjoying an older one.

If that thought horrifies you I would hate to see what you think about a real, hard hitting life issue. So what if you can't play a game from today 15 years down the road? Is it really that big a deal?