Ubisoft won't attempt an unlimited gaming service until EA proves it can work

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Ubisoft won't attempt an unlimited gaming service until EA proves it can work
9 months ago#41
If developers want to make money, sell games 3 days in advance for a fee of 10 to 20 dollars more. So, if a gamer wants early access, they must pay a premium price.
9 months ago#42
Before when they only make money by selling you a physical copy, I can see why they would shut down the server in order to push sell of new games, if the community only stick to old games.

With a subscription base model, they continue to make money no matter what so shutting down a server isn't necessary. In fact, it is even more profitable if people pay subscription just to play old games (no need to spend money in making new game).

Now if people abandon the old games to a point where developer had to remove the server to support newer games, then it is the consumer fault for not supporting it, it is not? A few gamer who felt they just got rob, well tough luck. That is a reality and I don't know what else to tell you.

Ownership is not the main factor, PRICE is. Would you like to own a few games vs. You get a lot of games at your disposal anytime anywhere at an affordable price per month?

I haven't even mention you can still owns it digitally, and I don't see why both option cant co exist where as before the only option is to buy a physical copies that scratch, lost or erode overtime. Do you ever have to blow into cartridges, or spend countless time to adjust the disc so that it can be read on the Atari,NES, etc..? What are the chances that you lose a disc vs if you have it in a digital archive?
9 months ago#43
staticxtreme5 posted...
So what if you can't play a game from today 15 years down the road? Is it really that big a deal?

Absolutely. I bought that game, I own it. I should be able to play that game whenever I want. Quote the EULA as much as you want that I'm only renting the game and that I don't own it and I'll keep telling you how much I don't give a flying f*** about what it says. If I buy something with my money then it belongs to me and for them to say I can't play my game anymore because "f*** you" is simply bulls***.
---
http://thebulldogs.com.au/media/logo_2010.png http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/holden4ever/ripqld.jpg
9 months ago#44
holden4ever posted...
staticxtreme5 posted...
So what if you can't play a game from today 15 years down the road? Is it really that big a deal?

Absolutely. I bought that game, I own it. I should be able to play that game whenever I want. Quote the EULA as much as you want that I'm only renting the game and that I don't own it and I'll keep telling you how much I don't give a flying f*** about what it says. If I buy something with my money then it belongs to me and for them to say I can't play my game anymore because "f*** you" is simply bulls***.

You have a false sense of ownership sir (an entitlement issue) and here are the reasons why:

Let use Destiny for example:
1. How much does it cost to make that IP? ~$500 million (3-6 years of dev, publish, advertisement, production, distribution, etc..)
- how much Are you gonna pay for the disc? ~$60+tax (not to mention you might buy it cheaper later, buy it used = $0 to dev/publisher)

So who should have the final say in the matter? The dev/publisher who spend millions to make it or you who spend a meager <1% for it?

2. MP portion of the game requires server, dev/publisher have to Spend millions to rent out servers so you can play your game online. Let use Halo in this case. How much did you spend monthly to access the server? ~$5 or less.

Who has the right to decide whether to keep it running or not? You or dev/publisher? If you still want to play it, go ahead and spend you own money to maintain the server, do your own coding to keep it running like XLINK for example.

3. Let say you own that disc, if it broke 3 years down the road, can you ran back to the store and demand a new one for free since you already pay for it? What do you think?

Because you ignore the EULA, which specifically told you that you don't own the IP and service can change without your consent, which explain why you have a FALSE SENSE of OWNERSHIP. I think you you should go back and give a F*&% about EULA so you know exactly what you actually own, which is a piece of plastic that come with a privilege to use the content within it for the DURATION of the service.
9 months ago#45
baodeus posted...
holden4ever posted...
staticxtreme5 posted...

You have a false sense of ownership sir (an entitlement issue) and here are the reasons why:

1. How much does it cost to make that IP? ~$500 million (3-6 years of dev, publish, advertisement, production, distribution, etc..)
- how much Are you gonna pay for the disc? ~$60+tax (not to mention you might buy it cheaper later, buy it used = $0 to dev/publisher)

So who should have the final say in the matter? The dev/publisher who spend millions to make it or you who spend a meager <1% for it?

2. MP portion of the game requires server, dev/publisher have to Spend millions to rent out servers so you can play your game online. Let use Halo in this case. How much did you spend monthly to access the server? ~$5 or less.

Who has the right to decide whether to keep it running or not? You or dev/publisher? If you still want to play it, go ahead and spend you own money to maintain the server, do your own coding to keep it running like XLINK for example.

3. Let say you own that disc, if it broke 3 years down the road, can you ran back to the store and demand a new one for free since you already pay for it? What do you think?

Because you ignore the EULA, which specifically told you that you don't own the IP and service can change without your consent, which explain why you have a FALSE SENSE of OWNERSHIP. I think you you should go back and give a F*&% about EULA so you know exactly what you actually own, which is a piece of plastic that come with a privilege to use the content within it for the DURATION of the service.

My argument would be: either a) reduce the cost of development. Or b) sell games at a higher price.
9 months ago#46
baodeus posted...

None of that matters because I don't care what the EULA or anyone else says. If I buy a car, I own it. If I buy a TV, I own it. If I buy a house, I own it. If I buy a video game, I own it. Call it a false sense of ownership as much as you like, I call it common f***ing sense. If I buy something with my money, I OWN IT. Greedy bulls*** like EULAs are why I fully support the used games industry. You want to talk about false entitlement? Show me one other product/industry that feels they should profit from the sale of a used good? There aren't any.
---
http://thebulldogs.com.au/media/logo_2010.png http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/holden4ever/ripqld.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Ubisoft won't attempt an unlimited gaming service until EA proves it can work

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived