Phil Spencer: Exclusives Can Help Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Grow

#11dnmtPosted 8/21/2014 3:40:59 AM
Houndour posted...
Seeing people get upset that Microsoft is 'stealing' multiplatform games is hilarious. It's a timed exclusive so chill. You'll play it eventually, after everyone else has.

Which makes the deal all the more mystifying. Why not spend that money on building their own studio and make their own game instead?
#12lunaticcorePosted 8/21/2014 3:52:02 AM
They have build studios, and they are making games, and they also know that a few good timed exclusive 3rd party deals are nice for complementing that.

Gears of War is a good example of that on both sides. Last gen they got the game exclusive even though it wasn't a Microsoft owned ip or studio, this gen they are building a studio and making it in house now that they own the ip.

It is easier and faster to find great developers doing great work and support them to gain exclusives than it is to try and build and run a studio. Microsoft is doing both.
---
--- Chilling and Killing 11 (Punching Titans) on youtube.
http://youtu.be/q4p7NCm7fng
#13SoulTrapperPosted 8/21/2014 4:11:27 AM
Warsuh posted...

All they did was pay for timed exclusivity just like what Sony does all the time. Doesn't matter if it is a multiplatform game.

It certainly does matter.

There's a pretty big difference between buying extra sprinkles on your ice cream and buying the ice cream away from others.
#14SoulTrapperPosted 8/21/2014 4:13:56 AM
lunaticcore posted...
They have build studios, and they are making games, and they also know that a few good timed exclusive 3rd party deals are nice for complementing that.

Gears of War is a good example of that on both sides. Last gen they got the game exclusive even though it wasn't a Microsoft owned ip or studio, this gen they are building a studio and making it in house now that they own the ip.

It is easier and faster to find great developers doing great work and support them to gain exclusives than it is to try and build and run a studio. Microsoft is doing both.

Microsoft had 13 years to build their own studio and all they made was Forza.

Buying things instead of creating their own stuff is how they do business.

https://i.imgur.com/gt0c8Mq.png
#15eastofeastsidePosted 8/21/2014 6:12:44 AM
Feel my PlayStation hipster edge!

I will defy this anti-consumerist fascism!