What is with gamers judging and scoring games before they hit store shelves?

#1XBrosephPosted 8/21/2014 4:44:04 AM
For some reason a lot of gamers have this tendency to judge and review games before they have even had a chance to play them, for instance with the Last of Us it was decided long before the game was released that it would be a masterpiece and that any score below a 10 was an insult with many reviewers copping a lot of flak from gamers who hadn't even played the game for scoring the game an 8, it was as if they just decided the game was going to be a masterpiece and blinded themselves to the idea that it could be anything but, lately we have seen the same thing with games like Bloodborne with gamers getting their panties in a twist whenever anyone expresses concern over the new direction.

Games like Heavy Rain generated a lot of hype by claiming it was a deep interactive storytelling experience and regardless of the actual quality of the story telling a lot of gamers bought into the hype calling anyone who dared say what the game really was a COD fanboy as if the accusation invalidated their criticisms.

Same applies to the Elder Scrolls series or the Fallout games (3 and beyond), the mere virtue of them being an Elder Scrolls game (or Elder Scrolls with guns) somehow makes them immune to criticism and no matter the quality of the final product the games will never be considered anything less than amazing.

It just seems these days the quality of the game doesn't matter so much so long as there is a significant amount of hype behind it as many gamers seem to be unable to see the game for what it is behind the hype.
#2blacklabelicePosted 8/21/2014 4:46:31 AM
Elder scrolls and fallout games are awesome, and loaded with quality and content, tyvm.
#3XBroseph(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2014 5:04:19 AM
blacklabelice posted...
Elder scrolls and fallout games are awesome, and loaded with quality and content, tyvm.

While it is true that there is a lot of content in the Elder Scrolls games there is not much of it I would call "quality". Being big does not necessarily make a game good.
#4kennyynnooPosted 8/21/2014 5:13:46 AM
Everyone has different tastes, if the majority of reviews are high I go for it, have I been burned of course. TLOU was one I gave maybe a 7/10, halo 1 when it came out was not for me either but that's because neither of those are for me. I still say Forza Horizon 1 was my favorite all time racer, it's flawed but it's still the most enjoyable to me. If I'm on the fence though I always trust reviews because 90% of the time I agree with the majority of reviews, the 10% are tlou, halo 1. It happens but so what.
---
Own: Xbox one, 360, PS3, Wii
Richard is also known as Dick.
#5ace_two_maxPosted 8/21/2014 5:16:24 AM
blacklabelice posted...

True but after Elder Scrolls online , TES score is now 4/10 and need to prove it self worthy, especially after Skyrim, New vagas Crashes/freezes, they both scored 5/10 for bugs ( TES Get one less due to ESO)

They need to up their game.
---
You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people and plead for your freedom, and your telling me your completely sane?!
#6BDJaycePosted 8/21/2014 5:22:08 AM
blacklabelice posted...

and bugs. Lots and lots of bugs.

Some are exploitable.

Some are game-breaking.

Some are quest breaking.

Others are annoying.

But there are tons of bugs.
---
9-14-1959 - 5-4-2014. Goodbye Momma, I love you. Rest well.
GT: JamesBolton0723
#7chris0009Posted 8/21/2014 7:36:55 AM
When I was in high school, sometimes I would have a paper due and Id find a report about the same thing on the internet. Id rearrange sentences and change some words and wordings, I imagine reviewers likely do the same thing, otherwise how would games always end up with pretty similar review scores all around.

Like how many 10/10s did tlou get, the game is story driven but who plays games for stories. The gameplay is above average, but far from perfect. The story is decent but nothing too different than most other zombie games.
#8kennyynnooPosted 8/21/2014 7:44:33 AM
chris0009 posted...
When I was in high school, sometimes I would have a paper due and Id find a report about the same thing on the internet. Id rearrange sentences and change some words and wordings, I imagine reviewers likely do the same thing, otherwise how would games always end up with pretty similar review scores all around.

Like how many 10/10s did tlou get, the game is story driven but who plays games for stories. The gameplay is above average, but far from perfect. The story is decent but nothing too different than most other zombie games.

Haha I never did biographies like that, I don't know what you're talking about.
---
Own: Xbox one, 360, PS3, Wii
Richard is also known as Dick.
#9stretch126Posted 8/21/2014 7:46:30 AM
XBroseph posted...
for instance with the Last of Us it was decided long before the game was released that it would be a masterpiece and that any score below a 10 was an insult .

Is this true? I knew nothing about the game before playing it so i dont know.