Videogame confessions (stolen)

#212ndAtomiskPosted 8/21/2014 1:11:22 PM
- I thought GTA5 and RDR were both really boring

- I enjoy lower budget games like Tenchu more so than I do most AAA titles.

- I enjoyed FFXII and FFXIII (the first one)

- I found Xenoblade to have a pretty boring story

- I've been playing my Vita and 3DS more than my X1 and PS4
---
I'm gonna cut out your eyes and piss in the ****ing sockets! ~ Kaine
http://abload.de/img/zeronailed4xz8o.gif
#22scoobydoobydontPosted 8/21/2014 1:20:32 PM(edited)
Confessions means unpopular/contentious opinions? Well okay...

-Mass Effect 2 and 3 kinda sucked the whole way through. Only interesting new characters sort of saved ME2. Nothing saves ME3, one of the worst most disappointing products in my over 25 years of gaming.

-TR 2013 and RE4 were terrible reboots that betrayed everything that made the series' good.

-FFXII was the only great FF ever. VI, VII, VIII, X... overrated. IX was okay too.

-Blizzard, Valve, Sony Santa Monica, Retro, Bungie... are all vastly overrated studios who haven't made a single game I'd pay full price for.*

-RE5 and RE6 are bad Resident Evil games as well, but better games in general than RE4.

-Silent Hill Homecoming had an annoying lack of proper Y invert, but aside from that it, The Room, and Downpour were just as good as previous Silent Hill games. In some ways, they were even better.

-Collectables/Collectathons are awesome.

-Combat is filler. Regardless of the competency, complexity or strategy involved, combat is always the lowest common denominator feature of the gameplay. Puzzles, scavenging, stealth, dialogue options, crafting, exploring, collecting... literally anything is more compelling than the combat. If the only goal in your game is to make things dead, your game sucks.

-Bioshock Infinite had both horrible gameplay and had horrible writing. No, you didn't "get it", you aren't clever. If you thought the story was good, you (much like Levine himself) don't even understand something as simple as what the word infinite means, so stop patting yourself on the back. You're no different than all the nitwits who likewise thought they were philosophy experts after watching the Matrix sequels. It's nice if it gets you to pick up a book and actually learn something, but you didn't learn or understand **** because of the game. And the whole choice in gaming meta-commentary? Clumsy and already done better by the first Bioshock. Levine is a fraud. Hell, Levine is Comstock.

-Choices do not require true consequence to be enjoyable. The illusion of choice, or the presence of "personality"/"flavor" choices that don't change anything except the way your character reacts to things can be just as satisfying as choices with consequence. TWD and many choices in ME were fun simply because they defined your character's personality, rather than changed things in the game world.

-Following from that last one, the biggest failure by far of ME3 (beyond the gutting of all the RPG elements generally) was the lack of satisfying personality choices throughout the entire game. You had to have nightmares about some obnoxious kid, you had to care about Earth even if you were a spacer or colonist. You had to care about certain squad mates and Anderson even if you took every opportunity in previous games to insult them. Being the last game might have excused to some degree not having tons of consequential choices, but it didn't excuse the other kind at all.

-VR will be great. Motion, 3D, mobile and back in the day FMV are/were great too. It's amazing how many people waste their lives with frivolous busywork (gaming or otherwise) but get all serious and annoyed when a new way to have fun comes along they don't like. Don't like it? Don't use it, no one's forcing you. There's no reason to be a **** on the internet (or anywhere) any time someone brings it up just because your highness doesn't care for it.

*Well, I'd buy a new Lost Vikings, but that's never happening so...
---
http://i.imgur.com/8LUhEFG.jpg
#23LEGEND_725Posted 8/21/2014 1:39:56 PM
I thought the first bioshock was complete trash but loved infinte.

I loved dragon age 2.

I couldn't get through 2 hours on TLOU.

I love cod and average a 2.5 kd on everyone one and love league play.

Halo ranked squad battle was my favorite playlist ever.

Morrowind on PC is my favorite game of all time.

I've been gaming since I was 3.
http://i.imgur.com/ihXuhf3.jpg
---
Lift. Game. Academics. Party. = LIFE. Best mod dispute ever? http://i.imgur.com/db7oluz.jpg. Official dudebro of any forum... I lift more than you
#24ChiliPup(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2014 1:47:15 PM(edited)
I "secretly" want to make a Dukes of Hazard GTA-style game.

Open world structure, with a busy little town, vast countryside with dirt roads, Boarís Nest, orphanage, farms, homesteads, goon hideouts, fairgrounds, power plant, county line bridge, etc.

Main gameplay will be combination of in-vehicle and on-foot, like GTA.

It will feature a great, well-written main story, as well as many sidequests, mini-games, collectibles, racing, distractions, etc.

No guns. The combat system will be upgradeable southern brawling melee, with lots of unlockable moves including combos, dodging, and being able to pick up items to fight with. The southern flair in combat is evident and quite funny, with slamming heads into knees, flipping guys over, body slams, dragging guys down the bar through beer bottles, smashing chairs, pool cues, and such into goons, etc.

The game will feature many playable characters, each with specific specialties and challenges:

Bo Duke: driving, fighting

Luke Duke: bow & arrow, including fire and dynamite, roping and lassoing, fighting

Daisy Duke: Jeep off-roading, waitressing challenges, charming people & distracting, stealth disguises

Jesse Duke: moonshine making, farming, herding

Cooter: tow truck missions and challenges

Roscoe P. Coltrane: police missions and challenges

Enos: police missions and challenges

Possibly Boss Hogg: not sure yet

Moonshining is a big part of the game, involved in early tutorial questing, and throughout the game as a necessary money-making business. Of course itís dangerous work, and making runs while avoiding the law will always present a challenge.

There will definitely be a plethora of racing challenges and mini-games of all kinds. This would be one of the major parts of the game.

Many story missions can involve the use of multiple characters, playing one characterís portion before switching to another, and then another. Each character will play their own role, having to get each into position and then use their specific strengths, etc.

Many missions are stealth-based, involving sneaking around goons and the authorities. Plus, the Dukes can climb buildings, water towers, etc.

Clearing goon hideouts is a fun side challenge. It should be noted that during combat, goons donít ďdieĒ. They just get knocked out. And the Dukes can tie up enemies if necessary.

Original voice actors are used, there is authentic narration throughout the whole story, and authentic music as well.

Collectibles include things like: unique stunt jumps, water holes (car wash), golden moonshine bottles, albums (which can be added to Boars Nest jukebox library!), toys to donate to orphanage, lost pages of the old Duke family cookbook, etc.

Wrecking the General costs money, because Cooter has to tow it and fix it.

There are unlockable car skills like 2-wheel driving, 180ís, 360ís, creating smokescreen with donuts, and more.

There are unlockable outfits for various characters, including bikinis for Daisy!

Car radio should have lots of stations, mostly country, but some southern rock as well.

There will definitely need to be a good map system, including GPS in the General which can plan routes like GTA.

And I might want to consider making the General Lee upgradeable throughout the game. It would start out basic, and harder to drive. Then parts can be either earned, found, or bought, in order to upgrade it. Faster engine, carburetor, better grip tires, push bar, exhaust, etc. This is just a thought however.
---
[This moderator or administrator was deleted at the request of this message.]
#25HughMyronGainzPosted 8/21/2014 2:40:44 PM
I HATE sports games, MMOs (except for Destiny), MOBAs and RTS games. Freaking trash

I LOVE fighting games. MK , KI etc

I love trolling other players online
---
U mirin brah?
#26ChiliPup(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2014 5:21:39 AM
scoobydoobydont posted...
-FFXII was the only great FF ever.

-Collectables/Collectathons are awesome.

-Combat is filler. Regardless of the competency, complexity or strategy involved, combat is always the lowest common denominator feature of the gameplay. Puzzles, scavenging, stealth, dialogue options, crafting, exploring, collecting... literally anything is more compelling than the combat. If the only goal in your game is to make things dead, your game sucks.

-Choices do not require true consequence to be enjoyable. The illusion of choice, or the presence of "personality"/"flavor" choices that don't change anything except the way your character reacts to things can be just as satisfying as choices with consequence. TWD and many choices in ME were fun simply because they defined your character's personality, rather than changed things in the game world.

I agree on all of these points Scoob. Good stuff and very open-minded thinking. I love it.

---
---
[This moderator or administrator was deleted at the request of this message.]
#27KipbondurPosted 8/22/2014 6:05:32 AM
I've never played a Final Fantasy game because when I was younger I didn't want to jump into the series without playing the first one.

I didn't think Goldeneye for the N64 was any good

As a kid I rented Ocarina of Time and didn't like it.
---
GT: Kip Bondur