Let's talk Call of Duty. (Pre-Order related somewhat)

#1known2FAILPosted 8/21/2014 5:02:19 PM
As seen in the previous topic about the AW pre-order numbers, the numbers have dropped. We can speculate all we want. Destiny is the CoD killer. Being able to download digitally eliminates some pre-orders. Stuff like that. Personally I would like to discuss what makes a "good" CoD for the casuals that set records.

It's quite simple really. 2 things are needed to make a successful CoD to the casuals.

1. Fun Factor
2. Relate-ability

That's it. History shows that. When did CoD really make a splash? CoD4. They nailed those 2. Fun factor and the fact it was MODERN warfare. That is relatable. Made a huge splash.

Next game? World at War. A WWII game. Fun factor was there but it was based on history we read in a textbook. It didn't appeal to the masses. So it didn't sake as well as CoD4.

Next game was the juggernaut of the series. MW2. Fun factor? Destroyed that! Relate ability? Destroyed that too. It was Modern Warfare with more than just modern guns. It brought all the modern aircrafts and such to the party. The vets of the CoD series at the time were all over the place with this game. They wanted more balance for these new awesome killstreaks. That word... BALANCE. That word is actually killing CoD. Anyway... Moving on.

BO. Not my favorite on the series by any means. However after the high that MW2 was the hype train was going stronger than ever before. The game was fun but didn't bail it like the previous games IMO. The Zombies was a huge impact on the fun factor and really put the game in a different realm. The Relatability was there too but not as much because it was based off Vietnam. Vietnam was far fresher in our minds than WWII so it was relatable. Adding that with the hype machine it easily was the best sailing.

MW3. The Relatability is back in full swing now. BO let some people down and coming off the Juggernaut that was MW2 the hype train was running at unbelievable levels. Easily surpassed BO in sales. Fun factor was strong but not as great as pre BO. It was somewhat of a let down overall for the many casuals that are beginning to become vets.

Now for BO2. This game went back and nailed fun factor like no other post MW2. Relatability was there. Especially with killstreaks like the Warthog, Lodestar, VTOL warship, etc. It also didn't hurt to have the help of people like FPS Russia that made the game even more relatable. Plus zombies now became a HUGE thing in the community and it delivered beautifully. Sales of course broke records.

Now for Ghosts. It made one pivotal mistake right out the box. Making BALANCE priority number 1. They didn't even fully succeed at that. Especially nerfing everything. This in turn killed The fun factor. The fun factor wasn't there. It was obvious. From boring guns, even though the intergraded attachments were nice, to the underwhelming killstreaks... It was just a snooze fest across the board. Relatability was sub par as well. It seems to be set in a more modern time that BO2 but it failed in overall Relatability to the modern world. Having guys running around like the speed of light in heavy armor knifing. A satellite raining hell. That is plausible but not relatable. A radar that is placed on the ground. That seems pretty old school really. It was just a combo of horrible fun factor with mediocre Relatability.

Now if they want to sale CoD like no tomorrow again just got back to true Modern Warfare. (Relatability) And make balance a after thought. (Fun Factor)
That's all they have to do.

Sorry about the long post. Btw is "Relatability" a word?
---
Guess what... I like Micheal Bay movies. Am I crazy? Nope. I'm a guy that likes movies that entertain me and don't judge movies under a microscope. Sue me
#2That_Damn_KidPosted 8/21/2014 5:04:23 PM
k
---
I'm not a kid, I just act like one
GT: ITS DAT DAM KID - PSN: Lamburghini89 - NNID: Its_Pikachu
#3Robin_MaskPosted 8/21/2014 6:07:23 PM
Relatability

No, it isn't a word.
---
KI: Fulgore/Orchid, USFIV: Bison/Evil Ryu/Makoto
#4BalisticWarri0rPosted 8/21/2014 6:10:51 PM
That_Damn_Kid posted...
k
#5Syn_VengeancePosted 8/21/2014 7:45:26 PM
known2FAIL posted...
As seen in the previous topic about the AW pre-order numbers, the numbers have dropped. We can speculate all we want. Destiny is the CoD killer. Being able to download digitally eliminates some pre-orders. Stuff like that. Personally I would like to discuss what makes a "good" CoD for the casuals that set records.

It's quite simple really. 2 things are needed to make a successful CoD to the casuals.

1. Fun Factor
2. Relate-ability

That's it. History shows that. When did CoD really make a splash? CoD4. They nailed those 2. Fun factor and the fact it was MODERN warfare. That is relatable. Made a huge splash.

Next game? World at War. A WWII game. Fun factor was there but it was based on history we read in a textbook. It didn't appeal to the masses. So it didn't sake as well as CoD4.

Next game was the juggernaut of the series. MW2. Fun factor? Destroyed that! Relate ability? Destroyed that too. It was Modern Warfare with more than just modern guns. It brought all the modern aircrafts and such to the party. The vets of the CoD series at the time were all over the place with this game. They wanted more balance for these new awesome killstreaks. That word... BALANCE. That word is actually killing CoD. Anyway... Moving on.

BO. Not my favorite on the series by any means. However after the high that MW2 was the hype train was going stronger than ever before. The game was fun but didn't bail it like the previous games IMO. The Zombies was a huge impact on the fun factor and really put the game in a different realm. The Relatability was there too but not as much because it was based off Vietnam. Vietnam was far fresher in our minds than WWII so it was relatable. Adding that with the hype machine it easily was the best sailing.

MW3. The Relatability is back in full swing now. BO let some people down and coming off the Juggernaut that was MW2 the hype train was running at unbelievable levels. Easily surpassed BO in sales. Fun factor was strong but not as great as pre BO. It was somewhat of a let down overall for the many casuals that are beginning to become vets.

Now for BO2. This game went back and nailed fun factor like no other post MW2. Relatability was there. Especially with killstreaks like the Warthog, Lodestar, VTOL warship, etc. It also didn't hurt to have the help of people like FPS Russia that made the game even more relatable. Plus zombies now became a HUGE thing in the community and it delivered beautifully. Sales of course broke records.

Now for Ghosts. It made one pivotal mistake right out the box. Making BALANCE priority number 1. They didn't even fully succeed at that. Especially nerfing everything. This in turn killed The fun factor. The fun factor wasn't there. It was obvious. From boring guns, even though the intergraded attachments were nice, to the underwhelming killstreaks... It was just a snooze fest across the board. Relatability was sub par as well. It seems to be set in a more modern time that BO2 but it failed in overall Relatability to the modern world. Having guys running around like the speed of light in heavy armor knifing. A satellite raining hell. That is plausible but not relatable. A radar that is placed on the ground. That seems pretty old school really. It was just a combo of horrible fun factor with mediocre Relatability.

Now if they want to sale CoD like no tomorrow again just got back to true Modern Warfare. (Relatability) And make balance a after thought. (Fun Factor)
That's all they have to do.

Sorry about the long post. Btw is "Relatability" a word?

I'm canceling my Advanced Warfare pre-order tomorrow but I'm not getting Destiny either :p
---
Currently Playing: COD: Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Wolfestein: New Order, Watch_Dogs, Plants vs Zombies, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Counter Strike Source, Left 4 Dead 2
#6ComradeRyanPosted 8/22/2014 9:03:40 AM
I would rather play a new World War II Call of Duty game than one that takes place in modern or future times.
---
We must reverse Citizens United, Restore our Democracy, and Save the Republic. Join the Fight for Free and Fair Elections in America!
http://www.wolf-pac.com