Should we blame Don Mattrick for the Xbox One's mediocre start?

#31grampamurkedPosted 8/23/2014 9:28:53 AM
I blame gamers. Microsoft had a vision, gamers blasted that vision.
---
Xbox GT: Grampa Murked U Steam ID: grampamurkedu PSN ID: GRAMPAMURKEDU
#32TheGam3925Posted 8/25/2014 5:08:41 AM
Adam Orth didn't help things either when he told gamers to deal with it.
---
Reviews? Polls? Sales? Resolution? FPS? Nothing matters now except for what the competition does not have.
#33wake_me_420Posted 8/25/2014 5:34:54 AM
grampamurked posted...
I blame gamers. Microsoft had a vision, gamers blasted that vision.

You say blame gamers, I say congratulate gamers for blasting the original vision.
---
Check out this sweet box fort I made. Dare I say, 'World's Greatest' :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jo57wauuvA
#34the_real_onePosted 8/25/2014 6:31:40 AM
Hucast9 posted...
I'm pretty sure no 1 man makes decisions. It comes down to a vote between company officials. Don Matrick seems to be one the officials in favor of the mandatory Kinect, always on-line, mandatory drm on-line authentication otherwise your console wont work, being able to gift your game only once, rules where you can and can't sell your game, and no used games.

This is probably the worst idea that I have ever witnessed in the history of video games. This is worse than Nintendo's idea of sticking to cartridges for the N64 or Nintendo's failure to recognize on-line gaming as essential for business.

Well said.
---
In the entire games industry, Nintendo has done the best job of managing their franchises in the long term. EGM
#35Bellum_SacrumPosted 8/25/2014 6:39:48 AM
Nope, he was just a figurehead, exactly like Phil Spencer is. They 're just doing what they're told while trying to defend the interests of those who tell them what to do.

If you actually paid attention, numerous Microsoft execs and marketing/PR tried to defend the Xbox One DRM and Kinect, including Hryb and Spencer, back when it was first announced.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#36InterzoneMantraPosted 8/25/2014 6:41:14 AM
the_real_one posted...
Hucast9 posted...
I'm pretty sure no 1 man makes decisions. It comes down to a vote between company officials. Don Matrick seems to be one the officials in favor of the mandatory Kinect, always on-line, mandatory drm on-line authentication otherwise your console wont work, being able to gift your game only once, rules where you can and can't sell your game, and no used games.

This is probably the worst idea that I have ever witnessed in the history of video games. This is worse than Nintendo's idea of sticking to cartridges for the N64 or Nintendo's failure to recognize on-line gaming as essential for business.

Well said.

Hit the nail on the head with the first paragraph. For some odd reason everyone on here thinks that Mattrick was the only person that worked on the x1.
#37eastofeastsidePosted 8/25/2014 6:46:08 AM
Console gaming sucks, MS has the superior multimedia vision.

Stupid gamers falling for Sony's PR hype is the only reason the console market hasn't already flushed itself down the toilet.
#38EoinPosted 8/25/2014 6:50:30 AM
Mattrick deserves a very large portion of the blame. As the head of Xbox, he is responsible for approving each of the major problem areas. Others may have come up with the ideas, or refined them. The specific hardware and software decisions may have come from above or below Mattrick and he may have had little real input in some of them, but for most of that process, he could have yelled "STOP, we're doing this all wrong", and people would have had to listen.

Others aren't blameless. Many engineers and their managers share some portion of the blame. So do the other executives. So do people like Major Nelson, for making such idiots of themselves post-reveal. So does Ballmer (who is another person who could have yelled stop, and who definitely should have, when he saw what was being created.

The idea that Mattrick is entirely to blame is silly. So is the idea that he was just along for the ride and couldn't have done anything about the Xbox One.

hoggys2much99 posted...
If they had they would have seen that he had destroyed other companies before he joined MS.

What companies do you imagine that he "destroyed"?

Mattrick's company history is rather short. He co-founded Distinctive Software at age 17, and the company lasted for 9 years before being acquired by EA, working on quite a few ports of well-known titles during that time (and creating the Test Drive series). He remained at EA for a long time, eventually becoming President of Worldwide Studios there. Eventually, he moved to Microsoft.

Distinctive Software were acquired, rather than "destroyed". EA remains notably non-destroyed, which is also the case for Microsoft.

Mattrick's clearly been involved in some problematic decisions that will plague Microsoft for all of this generation, and it's totally fair for people to be questioning his competency in terms of heading the Xbox division, but the idea that he destroyed multiple other companies is fictional.
#39aj4x94Posted 8/25/2014 11:53:22 AM(edited)
My source from within Microsoft told me this is what happened to Don Mattrick on the day he left Microsoft back in 2013.

Don Mattrick: While you wait and be patient, Sony and Nintendo laugh at us! The old ways are done. You'd stand giving speeches while Microsoft falls!

Steve Balmer: You're a vain, greedy, cruel boy!

Don Mattrick: And you are an old man and a fool!

Steve Ballmer: I was a fool.....to think you were ready.

Major Nelson: Sir

Steve Ballmer: HARGH!

Steve Balmer: Don Mattrick...You have disobeyed the express command of your CEO. Through your arrogance and stupidity, you have opened these peaceful Realms and innocent lives to the horrors of the console war. You are unworthy of this company......unworthy of your title......Your unworthy! Of the loved ones you've betrayed. I hereby take from you your power. In the name of Bill Gates...I cast you out!
---
Playing: Half Life 2, Mirror's Edge, Vampire The Masquerade, System Shock 2, Borderlands 2, Splinter Cell
PSN: T-Snake94, XBL: T-Snake 94, Steam ID: T_Snake94
#40Private_NoobPosted 8/25/2014 1:04:56 PM
No.
microbone attempted to sell their souls to SOPA.
/topic
---
Oh no! Private_Noob posted!
I'm the noobiest noob you'll ever see!