Microsoft Research may have cracked the nut to low-latency cloud based gaming

#1frogman180Posted 8/22/2014 3:49:57 PM
I found this article talking about how MS might have figured out a way for low latency cloud based gaming, i thought it was an interesting read.

Article:
http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-research-may-have-cracked-the-nut-to-low-latency-cloud-based-gaming
#2puffnbillys420Posted 8/22/2014 4:04:04 PM
They sure want this cloud thing to work...and if they do sony will just swoop in and match what they have done anyway
---
Sticky icky requested
#3Xeeh_BitzPosted 8/22/2014 4:05:42 PM
http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/default.aspx?id=226843

1) future input prediction; 2) state space subsampling and time shifting; 3) misprediction compensation; and 4) bandwidth compression.

That tech is for streaming, not to supplement local hardware. From what I've read, it basically assumes what you're going to do next which can result in your character turning a different way than you wanted and then basically attempts to guess again, while the local hardware has to deal with the compression.
---
3770K | 780 Ti x 2
Steam: Xeeh Origin: TurboPeasant
#4richboy900Posted 8/22/2014 4:06:15 PM
Looking forward to going 4k when this cloud stuff gets going
#5frogman180(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2014 4:07:04 PM
puffnbillys420 posted...
They sure want this cloud thing to work...and if they do sony will just swoop in and match what they have done anyway

Well it is the future of gaming IMO, but the funny think is Sony bought Gaikai, while MS is investing in this stuff.
#6ACx7Posted 8/22/2014 4:08:38 PM
puffnbillys420 posted...

I'm not arguing that this is true. But why doesn't Sony just do it now? They're trying with this PS Now thing. But it's horribly lagging and almost unplayable most of the time.
---
Wii-U: ACxSeven 3DS: 5455-9878-3366
PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: ACx7
#7Queen_of_Lazy89Posted 8/22/2014 4:17:45 PM
ACx7 posted...
puffnbillys420 posted...

I'm not arguing that this is true. But why doesn't Sony just do it now? They're trying with this PS Now thing. But it's horribly lagging and almost unplayable most of the time.

Have you tried PS Now? Believe it or not it actually works pretty great. It all depends on your location, just like it would if MS ever decides to take the "Cloud" seriously.
---
"Going to the Grand Canyon" is how Limbaugh's doctor refers to giving Limbaugh a colonoscopy-Kavatar
#8scoobydoobydontPosted 8/22/2014 4:31:42 PM
puffnbillys420 posted...

You really are one of the worst trolls... Sony is on the verge of bankruptcy, they can't just swoop in and magically have as many servers as MS or steal proprietary code. Although, that would be Sony's style, always imitating true innovators. Analog controls, rumble, motion, touch... They're even playing catch up with VR. And they had to buy a streaming service. They really are a ****ty company when you stop to look at it. Hell, they even tried to rip off VMUs. Pathetic.
---
http://i.imgur.com/8LUhEFG.jpg
#9puffnbillys420Posted 8/22/2014 4:34:52 PM
scoobydoobydont posted...
puffnbillys420 posted...

You really are one of the worst trolls... Sony is on the verge of bankruptcy, they can't just swoop in and magically have as many servers as MS or steal proprietary code. Although, that would be Sony's style, always imitating true innovators. Analog controls, rumble, motion, touch... They're even playing catch up with VR. And they had to buy a streaming service. They really are a ****ty company when you stop to look at it. Hell, they even tried to rip off VMUs. Pathetic.

Im a troll? Nah I just speak my mind which is exactly what I see happening they both copy each others success
---
Sticky icky requested
#10LorneMaIvoPosted 8/22/2014 4:51:13 PM
scoobydoobydont posted...

You mean how Ms and everyone else copied dual analogue configurations that Sony invented, or how about picture and video capture as well as game streaming that they brought to consoles first, then MS copied months later with their reveal?

Or how about how Kinect is a complete rip off of Sony's Eye Toy? Or how about the Wii Mote that ripped off Sony's 2004 Move technology?