I think the Xbone's poor sales have more to to with MS' bad rep the last year.

#31CKnightPosted 8/24/2014 3:07:03 PM
Playstation is a stronger brand worldwide. Even if the X1 had a lower price Sony would out sell it.
#32CKnightPosted 8/24/2014 3:10:32 PM
Problem is people assume everyone just bought whats cheaper. The cheapest is the Wii U.

Sony has had a strong selling console every gen. It's brand in gaming is solid.

The original Xbox sold poorly. The 360 had a year head start and the X1 doesn't have that luxury.
#33googlerPosted 8/24/2014 9:57:00 PM(edited)
Yakashi posted...
googler posted...
blablablax17 posted...
And not because "LOLZ PS4 HAZ MOAR POWERZ."

Bad business practices, taking their consumers for idiots, Kinect, 180s (thank God for these though)
I have no trust in MS' Xbone.

I could care less about power.

That's my thoughts anyways.

Anyone else agree/disagree?

Its all of the above and nobody wanted to pay $100 to get something lesser. Nobody wants to as much as something else to get something lesser. Nobody would buy a Honda Accord if it sold as much as an Audi

I don't believe this is true. I think it's only about 20% of ps4 owners that know or care about that. I think it's the brand, the advertising and the price point.

I don't even think all of the horrible PR moves made by MS are to blame as the majority of console owners don't know about it. At work I know around 40 people that have a next gen console and I believe it's about 75% in favour of PS4 and only two of these people know or care about what's going on. Most of them, when quizzed why they bought a PS4, answered with something that basically said "because it's a playstation".

Either way, MS are getting trounced and, like Sony last gen when they were dreadful, they need to change what they're doing. Can they? I personally don't think so and, without a big price drop or buying/producing some genuinely great exclusives, can't see a way around it.

Speaking for myself, I practically dropped PS2 when Xbox came out, have 360 with about 600 games on my profile, had windows phones since almost the beginning, did GfWL, etc. and haven't owned a Sony console since and can't put into words how ****Ing disappointed I was with the direction MS took with Xbone and that price point was an insult to boot. Had I not found one for $200, I probably would have ended up with a PS4 by now. If there aren't really any amazing unique games now on either system and very few in the future, then what sets it apart and justifies that price for a hardcore gamer that doesn't care for gimmicks and only cares about the one feature that counts - games, and not half-assed apps I can use better on any multitude of devices in my house nevermind that I don't want to use them.

Microsoft idiotically prioritized the wrong **** in exchange for steep compromises and look where it got them - and I wont even bring up that it seems like they didn't learn their lesson in terms of quality control to boot
#34googlerPosted 8/24/2014 10:02:50 PM
Yakashi posted...
ITIorpheus posted...
People want 1080p 60 fps, as a X1 and PS4 owner I can tell you that the X1 will be struggling here in the near future, the hardware just isn't up to par with what it needs to be this console gen.

No they don't. Maybe 3% care about that. Possibly less.

I don't believe for a second that the casual gamer cares or knows about the difference between 1080p/60fps or 900p/30fps etc.

Do you think people look at the processor and RAM on an iPhone and compare the specs to a HTC M8 for example? A tiny number will, but the casual buyer doesn't care. It's down to price, branding, marketing and superficial applications maybe.

Yes the PS4 is capable of more in terms of performance, and most of us, who are a tiny, tiny percentage of the install base, know the differences. But the vast, vast majority don't and never have over any generation.

I think the phone analogy is a bit off since OS comfort and brand come most into play. But in terms of hardware, you're not limited to only buying one model of HTC phone on Android or one model Nokia Windows Phone. Hypothetically speaking, do you think if Microsoft did offered super-up options for more do you think more people would be willing and feel justified in paying more to get more or would they rather overpay and be stuck with something limited
#35josh924Posted 8/25/2014 12:11:19 AM
Is it really selling "poorly", though? Obviously, it would be ideal for MS if it outsold the PS4, but I doubt they consider the XB1 a failure. That would be like saying that Wendy's is shutting down because McDonald's sells way more burgers on average.
---
Only an idiot would regularly post on a board that is dedicated to a console that they don't plan on owning.
#36josh924Posted 8/25/2014 12:15:35 AM
Radar posted...
I'm buying a game player. Anything else is cool and all, but considering I have to be a Gold Live member to do simple things like access Netflix, which I already pay for and get for no extra charge on my phone, it's not really a Media Box.

It's worth pointing out that they got rid of that paywall a few months ago.
---
Only an idiot would regularly post on a board that is dedicated to a console that they don't plan on owning.
#37aj4x94Posted 8/25/2014 12:20:49 AM
If you ask me, it boils down to 3 main things:

1. Microsoft's complete cluster**** of a reveal that turned away a substantial portion of the fanbase.

2. Said fanbase spreading through word of mouth how they will board the Sony train this gen. Friends will buy what their friends have.

3. Microsoft bundling in the Kinect, raising the price $100 more over the competition.

That being said, neither of the two big game companies are doing a great job putting out games I really want for 2013-2014, so I'll wait till 2015 before I hop on Next Gen express
---
Playing: Half Life 2, Mirror's Edge, Vampire The Masquerade, System Shock 2, Borderlands 2, Splinter Cell
PSN: T-Snake94, XBL: T-Snake 94, Steam ID: T_Snake94
#38scoobydoobydontPosted 8/25/2014 5:03:11 AM
ITT: Deep fanboy analysis of an objectively untrue premise.
---
http://i.imgur.com/8LUhEFG.jpg
#39SoulTrapperPosted 8/25/2014 6:01:06 AM
CKnight posted...
Problem is people assume everyone just bought whats cheaper. The cheapest is the Wii U.

Sony has had a strong selling console every gen. It's brand in gaming is solid.

The original Xbox sold poorly. The 360 had a year head start and the X1 doesn't have that luxury.

There really is no indication that price is the issue.

The German Xbox costs 373, the PS4 394 and it's still selling almost 400k more consoles.

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/737157-ps4-crushing-xbox-one-germany-according-official-sales-numbers

PlayStation 4: 540,000
Xbox One: 170,000
PlayStation 3: 4,200,000
Xbox 360: 2,100,000
#40triple sPosted 8/25/2014 6:06:28 AM
leathelj posted...
I said it once will say it again ps4 is rideing hype and Microsoft hate. The games have not been that impressive heck you can argue xb1 has better ones and Sony has not don't anything impressive really.

This is generally my feelings. E3 2013 is a perfect indications of that.
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22