Immersion-killers: What rips you out of the action, personally, when gaming?

#31SPARTAN_D7Posted 8/23/2014 4:32:05 PM
When my wife who doesn't say a word in the half hour I'm playing decides the cutscenes are a good time to start talking. -_-

Gameplay wise, the thing that has erked me the most in a long time is the lack of character models in Ryse. And games freezing.
---
Don't bro me if you don't know me.
#32CammyApplePosted 8/23/2014 5:14:08 PM
Forced walk segments. When your character is forced to move at a slow pace so the game can provide you with exposition.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
Go hardcore with glitter on the floor.
#33lostoutlawnbPosted 8/23/2014 5:20:39 PM
Missing a Jump during a chase/escape scene or messing up a QTE and having to do it over again.
#34SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2014 1:18:28 AM
Inlostoutlawnb posted...
Missing a Jump during a chase/escape scene or messing up a QTE and having to do it over again.

In addition to this point, Resident Evil 4 was utterly dire for this, but having cutscenes with surprise QTEs. You know, when the game gives no indication whether or not this will be an actual cutscene with exposition, or if you should tune out what's happening to try to catch the random PRESS A NOT TO DIE BEEP BEEP BEEP GAME OVER that flashes over the scene itself.

Either have cutscenes to watch, or don't. Don't make me focus on the centre of the screen to tune out moments of ACTUAL STORY.
---
XB1/XB360/Wii U: TotoMimo
PS4: Gooey_Toto ADD ME OR FACE THE UN-ADDED CONSEQUENCES! Which are nothing.
#35Old_man_derpPosted 8/24/2014 2:59:40 AM
Work, people calling me, my stupid girlfriend trying to kiss me.
#36IHATEMYGTPosted 8/24/2014 3:07:27 AM
Grunts speaking in English on halo 3 was the worst: prophets and some sanghelli I can deal with but not thewhole ccovenant. Come on now bungie!!!
---
Make the internet the place YOU want it to be :)
#37SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2014 3:13:09 AM
IHATEMYGT posted...
Grunts speaking in English on halo 3 was the worst: prophets and some sanghelli I can deal with but not thewhole ccovenant. Come on now bungie!!!

I'm sure I read that the Mjolnir armour was upgraded with a translator, which is why he could understand all of the enemies.

But I agree it totally lessens the effect of the Covenant as a foreboding alien force.
---
XB1/XB360/Wii U: TotoMimo
PS4: Gooey_Toto ADD ME OR FACE THE UN-ADDED CONSEQUENCES! Which are nothing.
#38puffnbillys420Posted 8/24/2014 3:15:22 AM
Im playing an online game when suddenly connection errors and lag...immersion killed
---
If you aint first you're last
#39BryanPS360Posted 8/24/2014 3:48:25 AM
QTEs (in certain games. I think they're fine in God of War).

Significant drops in frame rate

Controller battery running out

Lag

Glitches
---
XBGT:RedHawkDirewolf PSN and NNID: RedHawk_Direwolf
#40DesperateMonkeyPosted 8/24/2014 4:16:41 AM
Repeated dialogue. You keep talking to a guy but he gives random responses or background characters keep repeating themselves in the background.

The other is rag dolls and unrealistic or very canned destruction. This bugged me a lot in dead space. I wish bodies had weight and that bodies had more than 5 different destruction points.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H