Can games be too long for you?

#1Gunvalkyrie2Posted 8/23/2014 4:33:48 PM
I'm about 30% into assassins creed 4 black flag and I've been playing this thing for hours and hours and hours and honestly I think I'm just getting tired of it.. Partly because the story seems to have drifted away from the observatory and I honestly don't even know what's going on... Do you ever just give up on games that seem like more of a chore then enjoyable?

By the way I actually love this game but there's a serious lack of variety in the environments I think I'm just getting tired of seeing tropical forest and ships!!
---
We're playin' those mind games together
Pushin' the barriers, plantin' seeds
#2Cows Go HisssssPosted 8/23/2014 4:41:54 PM
Mass Effect 3 and every game made by Bethesda is too long.

The best lengths for me is 10-30 hours of single player mode.

30 hours if its a huge RPG. (Mass Effect 3, Bethesda games)
20 hours if its an open world action adventure game. (Assassins Creed, Grand Theft Auto, Watch Dogs, Saints Row)
15 hours if its a single player linear action game. (Dead Space, Portal, Half Life 2, BioShock)
10 hours or less if it's a tacked on single player mode for a online multiplayer focused game. (Call of Duty, Battlefield)

Anything past 30 hours and I'm done. My backlog is too large. The only games I play longer than 30 hours are online multiplayer games.
---
hey foo
hey foo
#3garcia_jxPosted 8/23/2014 4:43:35 PM
I think some games are just too long, and I get bored before I finish them.
#4holden4everPosted 8/23/2014 4:44:23 PM
It depends on the game but I generally like a 10+ hour story. The longer the better with some games.
---
http://thebulldogs.com.au/media/logo_2010.png http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/holden4ever/ripqld.jpg
#5Shura_SurplicePosted 8/23/2014 4:49:19 PM
I played Skyrim 100+ hours then my xbox slim hdd died and everything was lost, got a new one and played it again for more than 100 hours lol.

I like long games, at least 20 hours, if it is less then I feel is not worth the 60 dollars.
---
I had the X1 for a while, now I own a PS4.
#6jellybeanmasterPosted 8/23/2014 4:51:22 PM
Wasnt until skyward sword that i realized the answer could be yes. God finishing the game was a chore
---
PSN:ProdijusX, GT:BUMBA CLAWT,
#7darkness1018Posted 8/23/2014 4:58:58 PM
Yes. For me Xenoblade lasted way longer then it needed to be & didn't even wanna finish after 50hrs & finding out in not near the end yet.
---
PSN: nightwing2099 GT: Gambit1018
Systems I own: PS3, PS4, PSP, PSV, Original Xbox, XB1
#8uniquebadgerPosted 8/23/2014 4:59:49 PM
If i know a game will only take 15-25 hours to beat i will either rent it or wait till it is around $25 to buy, definitely not worth $60 to me. For any RPG i would prefer to get 40+ hours of gameplay out of it.
#9scoobydoobydontPosted 8/23/2014 5:08:40 PM
Depends on the game. I would honestly be disappointed if a Bethesda game was less than 200-300 hours. Bioshock games otoh all went on a bit too long. And AssCreed is too long, but only because they churn them out so fast. If they had 2 or 3 years between them I would be happy with the bloat.

So like I said, it depends.
---
http://i.imgur.com/8LUhEFG.jpg
#10wrettcaughnPosted 8/23/2014 5:10:41 PM
Cows Go Hisssss posted...
Mass Effect 3 and every game made by Bethesda is too long.

The best lengths for me is 10-30 hours of single player mode.

30 hours if its a huge RPG. (Mass Effect 3, Bethesda games)
20 hours if its an open world action adventure game. (Assassins Creed, Grand Theft Auto, Watch Dogs, Saints Row)
15 hours if its a single player linear action game. (Dead Space, Portal, Half Life 2, BioShock)
10 hours or less if it's a tacked on single player mode for a online multiplayer focused game. (Call of Duty, Battlefield)

Anything past 30 hours and I'm done. My backlog is too large. The only games I play longer than 30 hours are online multiplayer games.

This, except for the first sentence. I'll play huge RPGs for as long as they hold me. If I can enjoy a game for 100 hours then it deserves to be played for as long.
---
GT: wrettcaughn