ddos'd...are we next?

#11SxmfctPosted 8/24/2014 5:30:14 AM
Spetsnaz420 posted...
Ddos attacks don't require skill of any kind... Seriously, they have to be the easiest and most basic form of attack I know of

People always talk about how DDoSing is a low quality thing yet it obviously requires some knowledge else everything would go down all the time

You can't do it so stop claiming it's so basic
---
sigless user logic
#12PoweredMilkManPosted 8/24/2014 5:33:27 AM
Sxmfct posted...
Spetsnaz420 posted...
Ddos attacks don't require skill of any kind... Seriously, they have to be the easiest and most basic form of attack I know of

People always talk about how DDoSing is a low quality thing yet it obviously requires some knowledge else everything would go down all the time

It's actually as easy as downloading a program and putting in a URL, and clicking a button.
---
X1 GT:Bloodandbourbon Ps4 ID:Bloodandbourbon
#13Crystyn_7BPosted 8/24/2014 5:48:31 AM
It's hard to defend against DDoS attacks precisely because they are so simple, it's just a blunt force attack.
---
GT:Schreckstoff PSN: JudasInHell
Destiny Clan: Inquisition (http://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/Detail/164812)
#14ACx7Posted 8/24/2014 5:49:29 AM
dontBaPRObro posted...
So this is something Sony is not prepared for? Can this happen to Live?

Microsoft being a software company and having a larger workforce that knows how to handle these types of things works in their favor when an attack happens. But I don't think there's really anything they can do to fully prevent it.
---
Wii-U: ACxSeven 3DS: 5455-9878-3366
PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: ACx7
#15CapnStankyPosted 8/24/2014 5:49:35 AM
Terry-bogard posted...
Considering the psn is already back up , I wouldn't worry too much.
glassghost0 posted...
Xbox live is way more secure than psn

It's very unlikely

Don't forget, the entire ps3 Gen, users didn't have to pay for online so Sony didn't receive any monetary support to put in to the maintaining/security of their network

You get what you pay for

Steam got hit too you know by the same group . The xbox isn't safe from ddos attack .

Considering the psn is already back up and running I wouldn't worry too much.

PSN is still down.
#16EstocassassinPosted 8/24/2014 5:50:33 AM
PoweredMilkMan posted...
Sxmfct posted...
Spetsnaz420 posted...

It's actually as easy as downloading a program and putting in a URL, and clicking a button.

This but you need many people doing it at the same time to take down anything big.
---
I have a great idea that i am taking straight to dragons den!!!!!
Salt shakers in the shape of sony fanboys XD
#17Styrof0amPosted 8/24/2014 6:00:47 AM
Crystyn_7B posted...
Is there any protection against DDoS? I imagine the only option is to restrict access.

Nothing consistent. You can up the number of connections to your service, or even bounce traffic to servers outside your domain (eg. partners), but there's no guarantee the attackers can't up traffic via their botnet. The Storm botnet comprised of at least 1 million computers. That was 5-6 years ago, imagine it's size today, and having to handle traffic from all those computers

---

No commentary. No advertisements. Gameplay only ... http://www.youtube.com/user/kyllingefod
#18MasteroftheArtsPosted 8/24/2014 6:37:57 AM
Estocassassin posted...
This but you need many people doing it at the same time to take down anything big.

Nope. DDoS attacks can be done with one person. They're called DNS amplification attacks. They send queries via Open DNS's which accept any and all traffic that is queried from them. In combination with this, spoofed IP addresses are used, and since this is over UDP, there's no handshake to see if the IP is correct. So it's just a matter of spoofing an ip address, and querying information from a particular source by requesting the information in as large of a format as possible and you've effectively amplified the information. This could easily knock Microsoft's servers offline.

This also requires very little technical skill. Everyone thinks that botnets are required. They aren't.
---
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."
#19billsfanno1Posted 8/24/2014 7:11:21 AM
Saw on a posting at another site that credit card information has been compromised. Don't know that a simple ddos attack would accomplish that. Also sucks that the supposed DRM-less PS4 has been exposed as more Sony BS, a lot of people can't play their games.
#20Yomonachi2Posted 8/24/2014 7:18:51 AM
billsfanno1 posted...
Saw on a posting at another site that credit card information has been compromised. Don't know that a simple ddos attack would accomplish that. Also sucks that the supposed DRM-less PS4 has been exposed as more Sony BS, a lot of people can't play their games.

That's because they scrubbed up and didn't set it as their primary account. I can play both PS3 and PS4.