Xbox one sales affected by Microsoft better business bureau rating?

#21schmittay87Posted 8/29/2014 4:35:20 AM
quincy2000a posted...
For major home improvements, I always check the BBB. Had a balcony redone and to this day, I'm glad I consulted them.

Regarding Microsoft's rating--I did contact the BBB to complain about Microsoft's policies after being suckered into buying the Kinect after they dropped it.

Tsk tsk M$
#22FalxXD(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2014 4:36:19 AM
Warsuh posted...
FalxXD posted...
Warsuh posted...
FalxXD posted...
Not everyone checks BBB, but educated consumers do.

http://waystoavoidscamsonline.com/is-bbb-scamming-legit-companies-out-of-money

that's a neat read, you should research BBB and all the sketchy stuff they do.

Written by a founder of "wealthy affiliate". Doing a google check of course, you'll see that they had a pretty good reason to write the article.

BBB is not trusted by a lot of people because they do sketchy things is my main point. It seems the educated consumer would avoid BBB.

Nothing is sketchy about it, they are a business who acts as an intermediary between companies and customers. Rather than charge the consumer, they charge the business, who has the money.
---
I was modded once for saying please understand, when I challenged it the mod said please understand.
#23MasteroftheArtsPosted 8/29/2014 4:45:34 AM
FalxXD posted...
Warsuh posted...
FalxXD posted...

http://waystoavoidscamsonline.com/is-bbb-scamming-legit-companies-out-of-money

that's a neat read, you should research BBB and all the sketchy stuff they do.

Written by a founder of "wealthy affiliate". Doing a google check of course, you'll see that they had a pretty good reason to write the article.

If you had bothered to do any actual research, you'd know that the BBB has already admitted to giving favorable ratings to companies which sign up for accreditation, which is a tacit admission of what Warsuh posted.

No one cares about the BBB. They are possibly the worst example someone could give of an objective watchdog group. The criteria they use, like most review sites, is terrible and results in average companies receiving F's, and terrible companies receiving A's and A+'s. The reason for this is because the BBB places a priority on volume of complaints and their response rather than the circumstances of the complaints and company. There are numerous companies which have an A+ rating, yet have no complaints lodged against them. Either the company is run by god, or no one has bothered to lodge a complaint, giving the false illusion that their support is excellent when it could just as likely be mediocre, just that no one bothered to lodge a formal complaint; which is likely the case with Nintendo and its comical 96 complaints.

For example: EA has an A+. Charter Communications has an A+. Comcast, which was awarded the 2014 worst company in america award, has a B-. Delta Airlines has an A+. Bank of America has an A-. BP has a B+. Ambit Energy has an A+ on their holding company and on their parent.

As already stated, the BBB also awards points for being an accredited member which is why virtually all members have an A, usually an A+. Becoming a member costs money. There are companies that aren't members and are in the A territory, but they are few and far between. Also, it has been proven that the BBB will raise your rating simply by becoming a member. They claim this has been stopped, but subsequent cases have popped up.

Probably the worst examples of their horrible system are cases like this.

http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/engines-supplies-equipment-and-parts/cummins-pacific-in-san-leandro-ca-127785

This is Cummins Pacific, a subsidiary of Cummins Inc. which manufactures and distributes engines. Cummins was rated the number 1 best company of 2013 by fool out of 1700 other companies; mostly fortune 500. This subsidiary received a D- because it received 2 complaints, of which, it responded to 1. By the BBB's standard, this puts them at 50% which is a failure. On the other side, DirectV has a whopping 14226 lodged against them in the last 3 years alone. That is more than the number of complaints of Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and Apple combined and doubled. What's their rating? A-. What does this tell us? It tells us that they spend a lot of time in damage control mode instead of simply producing a quality product. What does this tell us about Microsoft? Nothing, because of this:

On December 20, 2013, this business indicated it will not accept or respond to complaints forwarded by BBB. As it is BBB's responsibility to inform businesses of communications from their consumers, BBB will continue to accept and forward complaints to this business. Consumers may wish to also contact their local State Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division for further assistance resolving disputes with this business.
---
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."
#24FalxXD(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2014 5:04:06 AM(edited)
Oh wow... That doesn't bode well for Microsoft at all.

What that tells us is Microsoft is not interested in keeping it's customers happy.
---
I was modded once for saying please understand, when I challenged it the mod said please understand.
#25PigfartsPosted 8/29/2014 5:02:52 AM
FalxXD posted...
I only looked, because someone had directed me towards valve, who has an F rating.

Shrugged it off, checked Microsoft; also F rating.

At this point I figured it's a gaming thing, for giggles I check Sony... A+... Shocked, I check Nintendo, Also A+.

Valve I wasn't surprised, many complaints would be due to insufficient system reqs, I am surprised that Microsoft rates so poorly compared to the other two. Could this be hurting them for sales?

BBB isn't about the games they put out its as a corporation as a whole, customer service plays a big part, price/policy etc.
---
If you don't like the smell of pigfarts, stay out of the pigpen.
#26AWarAmp84Posted 8/29/2014 5:11:51 AM
The BBB is a joke. IMO it only exists to give people peace of mind when they feel like they've been screwed by a company.
---
Not taking Gamefaqs seriously since 2004. Gamefaqs mods are a joke.
#27AxleHeadXPosted 8/29/2014 6:11:55 AM
This honestly isn't at all surprising. Microsoft not only crashed and burned at the initial E3 Xbox One reveal, but they also released the trash that is Windows 8. They kind of went out of their way to piss of their consumers in the last few years. The rating honestly has more to do with the Windows side of things than Xbox though.
#28wrettcaughnPosted 8/29/2014 6:24:57 AM
AxleHeadX posted...
This honestly isn't at all surprising. Microsoft not only crashed and burned at the initial E3 Xbox One reveal, but they also released the trash that is Windows 8. They kind of went out of their way to piss of their consumers in the last few years. The rating honestly has more to do with the Windows side of things than Xbox though.

It boggles my mind how much hate Windows 8 gets... I work in IT and Windows 7 just feels archaic once you know your shortcuts in 8...
---
GT: wrettcaughn
#29extankerPosted 8/29/2014 6:34:49 AM
A company's BBB rating used to be important but it's really lost it's relevance now. Some folks still cling to it as a guide to find good business but it means nothing. As stated above, companies that are universally considered to have terrible customer service like EA and Comcast have high ratings. How could anyone still believe that it's a reliable service?

I'd be willing to bet that Microsoft had an F rating long before the Xbox One came out. It's not going to affect them at all.
#30MicrosoftLoverPosted 8/29/2014 6:37:47 AM
schmittay87 posted...
FalxXD posted...

I recently started watching this show on ABC called The Checkout and they tell you all the tips and tricks consumers should use when making a purchase.

BBB is important.

Look what I found:

"...Notorious hackers, Reptile Squadron, have admitted to hacking the BBB and make Microsoft look bad. They stated their motives to be due to Microsoft's call center wait times. The group is also being sought after by authorities for threatening to blow up Seattle's own Chopper Dave of KACL Radio." - David Goldman, journalist and part time Financial Analyst for Carl's Junior
---
"It's not about visuals or gameplay. It's about exclusives." - Special-Edd