External Hard Drives

#1steviegfromnyc2Posted 8/29/2014 11:43:10 AM
Can an external hard drive used for an xbox one have other content on it besides xbox one? Can I use it for PC or Wii U? Sorry if this question seems stupid.
#2weezygdPosted 8/29/2014 11:59:29 AM
steviegfromnyc2 posted...
Can an external hard drive used for an xbox one have other content on it besides xbox one? Can I use it for PC or Wii U? Sorry if this question seems stupid.

When I plugged mines in it said it needed to format to Xbox One and that anything already on the drive would be deleted.

Just go on Walmart they have Toshiba 1TB drives for 65 bucks. After the formatting I was left with 931 GB.
---
Gamefaqs logic: I'm "bad" if I disagree with your opinion.
#3PizzatarianPosted 8/29/2014 12:30:00 PM(edited)
Right now, the Xbox One supports external drives for game or media files, but not both since we currently cannot partition the drive. For example, if you have an external device that you want to use for media files, then all you have to do is plug it into the Xbox One and the media app should detect it right away. With this in mind, if the device is a USB 3.0 and larger than 256 GB, then it will ask you to format it first; however, you can just cancel that and then go into the media app to play your files.

In other words, you can use a drive on the Xbox One and PC if it's formatted into NTFS, FAT, or FAT32, and if you are just using it for media files. If you want to use the drive to store your games, then you will have to format the entire drive on the Xbox.
---
"When you work with your hands, you'll never be rich, but you'll never go hungry." ~ SR3