Why Microsoft unbundling Kinect is a broken promise to all Xbox One owners

#1quincy2000aPosted 8/29/2014 4:41:35 PM
OPINION

http://games.gearlive.com/playfeed/article/microsoft-unbundling-kinect-xbox-one-broken-promise-q214/?
---
"Correct. Xbox One is Kinect." Microsoft VP
Really...seems this Day One Edition purchaser was "Madoff-ed by Microsoft."
#2elbarto1Posted 8/29/2014 4:49:51 PM
I agree, but I fall into the crowd of 'didn't want it, don't use it' and MS had no other choice, most people don't want it and they had to stop the bleeding.

IMO it's a nifty but useless peripheral, and hopefully it dies forever.
---
I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!
:XBL: THE B0DY :PSN: THE_BODY_ :NNID: The_B0DY
#3SignalMyMiseryyPosted 8/29/2014 4:51:27 PM
Ms listens and does what fans want so they're giving us a broken promise? I'm sure if they stuck with the original plan, we wuldn't hear the end of ponies saying "our system may focus on indies but at least it doesn't focus on kinect and tv"
#4casper316Posted 8/29/2014 4:56:45 PM
SignalMyMiseryy posted...
Ms listens and does what fans want so they're giving us a broken promise? I'm sure if they stuck with the original plan, we wuldn't hear the end of ponies saying "our system may focus on indies but at least it doesn't focus on kinect and tv"

but I like the kinect and tv integration. really saves me from having to buy an expensive HDMI switch box plus the voice commands and the kinect integration into some games like BF4 is awesome and makes the game a lot easier to play.
---
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BlaseCasper316
XBL Gamertag: Casper316
#5trenkenPosted 8/29/2014 5:05:43 PM
The only mistake they made was making it mandatory, which was driving up the price of the system, forcing some to pay for something they didnt have an interest in, which led to them not being able to sell the x1 as fast as the ps4. Certainly wasnt the stellar game lineup on either of these systems that led to that lead.

They realized it was an issue and fixed it and will be fine now. Its not very different than the PS3 getting kicked around by the 360 due to it being more expensive. Sony fixed that problem, and caught up. This happens every gen. Theres nothing about the playstation that makes it sell more. It all comes down to price. The X1 was $100 more for many months due to this device that many people had no interest in.

But even after all that the difference is only 5 mil. Over the course of 6-7 years 5 mil in sales is a small gap. So MS did the right thing.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#6elbarto1Posted 8/29/2014 5:11:20 PM
good HDMI switchboxes w remotes can be had for $20.

Justifying Kinect because it saved you $ over a "expensive" switchbox is silly.

Monoprice.
---
#7CKnightPosted 8/29/2014 5:20:57 PM
elbarto1 posted...

Monoprice.

elbarto1 posted...

Monoprice.

He also mentioned voice commands in navigating and gaming which aren't in any HDMI switchboxes.
#8elbarto1Posted 8/29/2014 5:24:25 PM
Fair enough. But still, they're not expensive.
---
#9BalisticWarri0rPosted 8/29/2014 5:47:17 PM
I don't own the kinect. I'm curious what are the bf voice commands?
#10PominAusPosted 8/29/2014 5:49:50 PM
BalisticWarri0r posted...
I don't own the kinect. I'm curious what are the bf voice commands?

Not sure about voice commands but Battlefield 4 on XBO employs Kinect's skeletal tracking, allowing you to peek round corners and pan the view from inside the cockpit of helicopters.