A few questions from a soon to be xbone owner...

#1kungfuj0Posted 8/30/2014 8:08:00 AM
I am going to put in my order for an xbone in about a week or so, and I have a few questions.

1. How, exactly, do digital preorders work? I am thinking about preordering Dragon Age and maybe a couple of other games, but I want to know what the process is and how it works first.

2. I am probably going to get the Madden bundle, so I will have Madden, and I am going to buy Forza 5 digitally, but I was planning on renting a couple of games as well. Ryse is one of those games, but I have no clue as to what I want to rent as the other game. Give me some suggestions. I am not that big of a shooter fan, but I am not opposed to playing them.

3. How long does it take for the average game install, and how much space is used by those installs??? Also, by extension, is there a (legit) way to swap to a bigger hard drive, if needed? I know you can use USB external drives, but I mean is there a way to swap the internal drive?

4. I have read that the controller doesn't have the little battery pack 'bulge' that they 360 controller had. Can I still use my own AA batteries in the xbone controller or am I going to be stuck with MS's play and charge kit?

5. Is there anything else that I should know before I take the plunge???
---
Sometimes I honestly think that Online is the WORST thing that ever happened to gaming.
#2kidwgmPosted 8/30/2014 8:17:52 AM
1. How, exactly, do digital preorders work? I am thinking about preordering Dragon Age and maybe a couple of other games, but I want to know what the process is and how it works first.

Preordering is just about going to the store via your One and "preordering it" you will be able to download the game, I believe, a few days before release but not able to play until release. *Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

2. I am probably going to get the Madden bundle, so I will have Madden, and I am going to buy Forza 5 digitally, but I was planning on renting a couple of games as well. Ryse is one of those games, but I have no clue as to what I want to rent as the other game. Give me some suggestions. I am not that big of a shooter fan, but I am not opposed to playing them.

Lots of games look into EA Access. For $5 per month or $30 year you get access to the EA Vault which currently includes FIFA 14, Madden 25, Battlefield 4 and Peggle 2. With promises to add more games over time. Also check out PvZ: GW, Wolfenstien and Dead Rising 3.

3. How long does it take for the average game install, and how much space is used by those installs??? Also, by extension, is there a (legit) way to swap to a bigger hard drive, if needed? I know you can use USB external drives, but I mean is there a way to swap the internal drive?

Game installs vary by internet connection, if your One is wired or wireless or if installing off disc if you are connected to the internet. Sorry I can't give advice on external drives as I don't know anything about them. I have had my One since day one. Have several digital games and my drive is around 80% full so take that for what you will.
4. I have read that the controller doesn't have the little battery pack 'bulge' that they 360 controller had. Can I still use my own AA batteries in the xbone controller or am I going to be stuck with MS's play and charge kit?

You can use AA batteries. But I would recommend the play/charge kit. Much better.

5. Is there anything else that I should know before I take the plunge???
---
Currently Playing: Lego Marvel Super Heros, FTL iOS and Peggle 2.
(Owner: gaming PC, 360, PS3, 3DS, Wii, WiiU, Xbox One)
#3TonyRodrigues76Posted 8/30/2014 8:21:52 AM
Is there anything you should know before you take the plunge?

Yes be true to yourself and listen to what you want form your own opinions on the Xbox one don't listen to the constant bashing it gets alot of it is undeserved hate.
#4ComradeRyanPosted 8/30/2014 11:14:27 AM
I recommend purchasing Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition. It supports 2-4 player co-op.
---
We must reverse Citizens United, Restore our Democracy, and Save the Republic. Join the Fight for Free and Fair Elections in America!
http://www.wolf-pac.com
#5singhellotakuPosted 9/2/2014 10:28:43 AM
1. Digital preorders are a scam, you pay to ensure a copy of something that there are literally infinite copies of, don't support that nonsense.

2.meh, research what you like.

3. with a physical disc, around 5 min, with digital, around 5-10 hours, if your internet rules about 2 hours, if its bad about 3 days. Ghosts took 18 hours when I downloaded it. Also for the love of god go wired, the day one patch *less than 1 gb* took about 4 hours on my wireless connection, wired i get about 35 mbps

4. it does, its just flush with the controller, but it works exactly like the 360's battery slot.

5. 500gb isn't that much, and forza is big, on average you can have about 10 games on there if you go digital, think before wasting that space on digital.
---
Humanity as a whole gets dumber every time you write sonypony nintendrone or xbot...and weeaboo...I mean, honestly people.
#6omega1110Posted 9/2/2014 11:00:04 AM
1. You can get the pre-order bonus with some of the digital pre-orders now and some of them also have pre-loading (downloading before release date as mentioned by kidwgm). Handy if you want to go digital but still get pre-order bonuses or if your impatient and don't want to wait for a download after buying your game.

2. Diablo III is addicting, Tomb Raider is pretty good and you get at least one free game a month with the Games with Gold program if you have Xbox Live Gold.

3. Depends on your connection and hardware. Lots of people say wireless is bad for games but my wireless is pretty fast for game downloads, Usually let games download while I sleep so I don't have an actual time reference.

4. The controller still comes with the AA battery pack it is just flush with the controller now instead of bulging out. The controller takes a basic micro-usb cord and you can use one to play without batteries and a few rechargeable batteries also use the same cord.

5. The 500gb fills pretty quickly and there is no legit way to upgrade the internal hard drive. But you can actually get slightly faster loading times with an external hard drive in addition to getting additional space. Kotaku did an article on external hard drives to use with the Xbox One, and I personally use a Hitachi Touro 1tb drive that I found for $50 on sale it works well with the console.

Misc - The Xbox Smartglass smartphone app makes a pretty good media remote if you doing any streaming or blu-ray/dvd watching on your One.
---
Playing games isn't a hobby, its a way of life.