Were you disappointed to hear that dead island 2 doesn't have a story?

#1bubbub01Posted 8/31/2014 7:47:25 AM
Does this news affect if you are going to get the game or not. - Results (82 votes)
Yes. The story is everything. I won't get it without one.
15.85% (13 votes)
Yes. A game without a campaign loses lots of hours of game time and replay-ability. I'm not getting it.
35.37% (29 votes)
No. I don't like narratives in games. I will get this for the gameplay.
6.1% (5 votes)
No. There are to many zombie games with dumb stories. I will get this for the gameplay.
17.07% (14 votes)
Wasn't going to get it anyways.
21.95% (18 votes)
Other.
3.66% (3 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I was pretty disappointed to find this out.

For those of you who don't know, the missions in the game are going to be basically just a big line of continuous quests. It will follow no main campaign just lots continuos quests you can do over and over.

This game also feels like it was thrown together in 5 seconds since it came out of nowhere at E3 and there is no story. The fact that it's a sequel too made me feel like they just took the original gameplay, updated animations, graphics, and new scenery, and slapped a 2 on it.

Probably won't pick this up.
---
Xbox Live Gamer Tag: iTryxBancroft
PSN Gamer tag: Bancroftx
#2sweetbloodsPosted 8/31/2014 7:49:27 AM
Wait...what? No story? Was this announced at PAX? Do you have a link or something?
---
All that we see or seem is a dream within a dream-Edgar Allan Poe
Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone elses life.-Steve Jobs
#3BigLongDownerPosted 8/31/2014 7:50:45 AM
If it's fun then I might pick it up, not on release though. Dying Light is looking like a day one buy for sure. And I'm also getting the REmake remaster and State of Decay remaster (skipped it on 360). So I'll be set for zombie games in 2015.
---
GT - Typ3 O Negativ3
"Don't mistake lack of talent for genius"
#4bubbub01(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2014 7:52:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DutlVwyEcr8

Was announced at gamescom.
---
#5Road_Kill_666Posted 8/31/2014 7:54:08 AM
Ripe Tide was great! They lost me at D.I.2 no longer making it scary, darker, gritty, survival. Now its supposed to be..... fun? Uhhh no thanks, I'll pass and get Dying Light.
#6Killah PriestPosted 8/31/2014 7:56:09 AM
lol
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#7astutecolliePosted 8/31/2014 7:58:06 AM
We'll see this more and more. Its due to everyone being a graphics/power whore (see sony fans), so devs are expected to spend all resources on visuals. Theres been a few games like this already this gen and there will be more and more over time.

This is the result of ppl saying omg my system is so powerful! The devs hear that and feel pressure to dump their budgets into graphics.

If so much wasnt expected of titanfall visually it would have a campaign.
#8SxmfctPosted 8/31/2014 7:58:16 AM
I don't play games for the story and I never have

I don't have a clue what's going on in most games but if the gameplay's good I don't care
---
sigless user logic
#9boolzeroPosted 8/31/2014 8:12:39 AM(edited)
There was a story in the first and pseudo-sequel?

I kid, I kid!

Seriously though, I don't think it matters for this game. To me it seems like they are trying to create a survival horror game rather than shoehorn a half-baked story into a survival horror game... Which I'm actually okay with. The story always feels kind of forced, hackneyed and out of place in these types of games. I always felt it should be about the story you make for yourself and not some artificial attempt at narrative to drive you toward some understanding of why the events are occurring. That attempt always feels out of place to me. I don't want to be the "superman" in a survival horror game; I'd much prefer being the little cog in a big machine feel. That's one of the main reasons I've fell away from the Resident Evil franchise in fact. Your character became this force to be reckoned with rather than a vulnerable pawn trying to just make it out of the end of things alive.

I don't like feeling like the world was built for me to be the center of and only I am the sole person to understand and discover its secret all the time. In a zombie apocalypse game especially, I think it works better that I am just a person trying to survive like everyone else rather than being the "hero" who can be the only one who can stop the zombies, cure the world, get the girl, save the people and bring back order to the universe. That just feels out of place in tone for that kind of setting.

Also I feel that the no narrative, quests and survival system works better toward a multiplayer driven experience. I find I will play games like this with no narrative longer than ones with one as well. Project Zomboid, Seven Days to Die and DayZ are perfect examples of how this type of design works to better effect than a narrative driven experience... All games I have put way more time in respectively than Any of the Dead Island games, despite my liking the Dead Island franchise.

So I don't see this as a negative... I rather look forward to it more now! Less emphasis on story so long as there is more emphasis on actual survival seems a more fitting trade off to me...
---
Death is a dish best served with gravy...
#10bubbub01(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2014 8:00:31 AM
astutecollie posted...
We'll see this more and more. Its due to everyone being a graphics/power whore (see sony fans), so devs are expected to spend all resources on visuals. Theres been a few games like this already this gen and there will be more and more over time.

This is the result of ppl saying omg my system is so powerful! The devs hear that and feel pressure to dump their budgets into graphics.

If so much wasnt expected of titanfall visually it would have a campaign.

Stop
---