Just picked up an XBone last night!

#1MonkeymagePosted 8/31/2014 11:23:07 AM
I will be honest and say that the console did not give me a good first impression, and there are still some things about the GUI / general interface that I don't like.

I immediately noticed that game installs were punishingly slow. I looked it up and it seems to be a common issue that seems to arise whenever the game has to download content as well as install it from the disc. I'm not on a 1 Gbps connection or anything, but it's not THAT slow. I read online that you can speed up installs from the disc by disconnecting from the internet. When I did this, it wouldn't install at all. I decided to reconnect, shut it off and let everything download / finish installing while I slept.

When I woke up, I tried to start up Dead Rising 3, and it told me to either insert the disc or sign in as the owner of the content. My gamertag is the only one on the system and the disc was still inside the system. I ejected the disc, put it back in, same problem. It turns out I had to go into "My Apps" and then tell it to finish the installation, even though it was at 100%.

Then I could play.

On the plus side, Dead Rising 3 is a lot of fun! I also picked up Ryse (I know, I know...), Forza 5, and I downloaded Max: Curse of the Brotherhood. Super Time Force is probably up next.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#2SuperSuikodenPosted 8/31/2014 11:26:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyFQVZ2h0V8
---
Xbox|Steam: Call Me A Hero
http://raptr.com/Call_Me_A_Hero
#3ACx7Posted 8/31/2014 11:28:21 AM
Welcome to the Xbox family. Hope you enjoy the system in the long run.

Game installs definitely are slow. And I'm not quite sure why. But hopefully it's something they can address with an update. They've done a good job of fixing and adding things we need so far.

Good news. Super Time Force is free for Gold members next month. And I really enjoyed Ryse. It's not the deepest game in existence. But it was fun, IMO.
---
NN: ACxSeven
PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: ACx7
#4Viper187666Posted 8/31/2014 11:58:53 AM(edited)
I picked one up earlier this week, but I'm not buying any games until Halo MCC. I only bought it now because I wanted the completely unbundled console (no kinect, no games), and I fear it might be harder to find with all these damn bundles being released. Major retailers don't stock the unbundled 250GB Xbox360 at all any more, even the new model from last fall. Honestly, I'm not interested in investing in other games on a console with such an inefficient update system for the games. I'm sorry. I'm not downloading a 15GB title update no matter how goddamn good Dead Rising 3 is.
---
Xbox One dis-Kinected 6/9/14. Let that be a lesson to people. Vote with your wallet.
http://viper.shadowflareindustries.com/images/myroom/DSCN0220.JPG
#5ACx7Posted 8/31/2014 11:58:06 AM
Viper187666 posted...
I picked one up earlier this week, but I'm not buying any games until Halo MCC. I only bought it now because I wanted the completely unbundled console (no kinect, no games), and I fear it might be harder to find with all these damn bundles being released. Major retailers don't stock the unbundled 250GB Xbox360 at all any more, even the new model from last fall.

So... Why wouldn't you want a free game?
---
NN: ACxSeven
PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: ACx7
#6phineasfoolPosted 8/31/2014 12:00:43 PM
ACx7 posted...
Viper187666 posted...
I picked one up earlier this week, but I'm not buying any games until Halo MCC. I only bought it now because I wanted the completely unbundled console (no kinect, no games), and I fear it might be harder to find with all these damn bundles being released. Major retailers don't stock the unbundled 250GB Xbox360 at all any more, even the new model from last fall.

Some people are weird that way. I had a guy at the store I work at turn down the Madden bundle and just take the bare bones system. Personally I'd rather have the free game and give it a try. Worst case I end up not liking the game and just delete it from the hard drive.
---
GT - phineasfool
#7Viper187666Posted 8/31/2014 12:03:05 PM(edited)
ACx7 posted...
Viper187666 posted...

Because I don't care about any of the ones they're bundling? Or the fact they're only giving garbage digital codes instead of discs? I prefer to have the original regular box on display. I keep it on top of the cabinet with my Legendary Edition of Halo Reach. For that matter, they're all completely worthless to me. I hate white and NFL, and I'm getting an external HDD so the bigger one with the COD bundle is a waste.
---
Xbox One dis-Kinected 6/9/14. Let that be a lesson to people. Vote with your wallet.
http://viper.shadowflareindustries.com/images/myroom/DSCN0220.JPG
#8ComradeRyanPosted 8/31/2014 2:10:48 PM
I recommend purchasing Battlefield 4 & Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition.
---
We must reverse Citizens United, Restore our Democracy, and Save the Republic. Join the Fight for Free and Fair Elections in America!
http://www.wolf-pac.com
#9BrusselsAffairPosted 8/31/2014 2:14:17 PM
ComradeRyan posted...
I recommend purchasing Battlefield 4 & Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition.

Why do you constantly talk like a robot?
---
"If you're going to kick authority in the teeth, you might as well use two feet"
#10kennyynnooPosted 8/31/2014 2:16:13 PM
Viper187666 posted...
ACx7 posted...
Viper187666 posted...

Because I don't care about any of the ones they're bundling? Or the fact they're only giving garbage digital codes instead of discs? I prefer to have the original regular box on display. I keep it on top of the cabinet with my Legendary Edition of Halo Reach. For that matter, they're all completely worthless to me. I hate white and NFL, and I'm getting an external HDD so the bigger one with the COD bundle is a waste.

You display a box? Wow. No offense but I don't get it I guess, mines rammed in a closet to reuse when I move. You had to make sure the corners were perfect to didn't you?
---
Own: Xbox one, 360, PS3, Wii
Richard is also known as Dick.