Something just doesn't add up. Help me out here...

#1ElPedoSucioPosted 8/31/2014 12:52:05 PM
Before I say anything else, my observation and question relies on perception that the Xbox One is overwhelmingly ahead of the PS4 when it comes to OS development and platform scalability.

If you do not agree with this statement, then my inference is no longer relevant, and you may disregard my need to prod.

With that said, I see many PS4 gamers complaining all over the Internet about how their console of choice is leagues behind the Xbox One when it come to functionality and having a consistent development schedule. So this brings me to my next point. If OS management and console improvements to a console mean so much to so many, why is the sales gap so damn large at the moment?

Which of the following best explains such a phenomena:

A. Gamers don't care about a multitasking console. The fact that a console and a company that is being beaten soundly sales-wise is overwhelming the market leader with updates has more to do with pride than requesting the same features for their console of choice?

B. Gamers were uninformed. They underestimated Microsoft and were flippant to the type of gains and contributions MS and the Xbox division are capable of bringing to the console industry?

C. Aside from a few whiners and complainers and concern trolls, the functionality the Xbox brings to the table isn't really important to the majority of gamers. MS is essentially wrongly allocating resources, technology, manpower, and money for arbitrary functions that gamers really do not need.
#2duericPosted 8/31/2014 12:57:05 PM
Launch price. Plain and simple.

That's it.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#3quincy2000aPosted 8/31/2014 12:57:59 PM(edited)
ElPedoSucio posted...
C. Aside from a few whiners and complainers and concern trolls, the functionality the Xbox brings to the table isn't really important to the majority of gamers. MS is essentially wrongly allocating resources, technology, manpower, and money for arbitrary functions that gamers really do not need.

...and arbitrary functions that gamers really do not want.

Though I purchased both consoles, that's my assessment of it.
---
"Correct. Xbox One is Kinect." Microsoft VP
Really...seems this Day One Edition purchaser was "Madoff-ed by Microsoft."
#4kyncaniPosted 9/1/2014 6:53:35 AM
quincy2000a posted...
ElPedoSucio posted...

...and arbitrary functions that gamers really do not want.

Though I purchased both consoles, that's my assessment of it.

Same.

I wouldn't dream of using a game console to browse the net, watch YouTube or Netflix, watch movies or listen to music.

Never used it any of those things on a game console, current or previous gen and I don't think I ever will : a PC, tablet, Chromecast or whatever are all much better IMO.

But some people have.
#5yiangaruuugaPosted 9/1/2014 7:01:30 AM
Personally, I never used any media apps on my Xbox 360. However, with my XB1 I have utilized Twitch, Youtube, Netflix, Crackle, and more when I'm taking breaks between gaming. What makes it even easier is using the Smartglass/Kinect to multitask.

It's one of the few reasons I enjoy my XB1 over my PS4.
---
GT: xFrostxPhoenix | PSN: xFrostxPhoenix
GSU Comp Sci C/O 2015 | XB1;360;PS4;N64;SNES
#6casper316Posted 9/1/2014 7:06:14 AM
ElPedoSucio posted...
B. Gamers were uninformed. They underestimated Microsoft and were flippant to the type of gains and contributions MS and the Xbox division are capable of bringing to the console industry?

this... all the way, games on Xbox One look and play the exact same as they do on PS4. given some needed more development time, but if you sat them down side by side you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
---
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BlaseCasper316
XBL Gamertag: Casper316
#7EoinPosted 9/1/2014 7:07:59 AM
People essentially fall into five groups:

1. People who don't care about the console functionality outside of the games.
2. People who care about media functionality, but whose needs are met by the current consoles anyway (e.g. people who only want to watch Blu-rays and DVDs and stream from Netflix).
3. People who care about media functionality a lot but whose needs are met by other devices such as a PS3, Xbox 360, Chromecast, media server, etc.
4. People who care about media functionality and are missing some features that they want but are confident that they'll be added later.
5. People who care about media functionality and don't have other devices and therefore may prefer the Xbox One over the PS4.

I have no idea what percentage of people fall into each of those groups. I will, however, bet that the fifth group isn't the largest.
#8green97probePosted 9/1/2014 7:18:43 AM
I bought both consoles strictly to play games. Kinect or similar devices don't interest me, nor do multitasking/media capabilities.

I started this generation with an Xbox One, and then picked up a PS4. I like having both because they each have a lot to offer. I couldn't see sticking only one of them because I'd be missing out.